Browns vs Jets MNF (1 Viewer)

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess someone has to start a thread. Landry and OBJ back together. Bell is back. Quite a few storylines in this game.

Officiating is whack so far. Pulled OBJ out right after his big catch because his visor was too dark. :freak7: Tight end lands on his head after being hit below his knees. No call for defenseless receiver. OBJ got mugged well downfield and no illegal contact. It's a mess, lol.

Thanks for the report but not the least bit interested in the game.

Yeah, mainly watching because Mayfield is one of my ffl players and of course curious to see how OBJ and Landry look in the same offense in the pros.

OBJ had one of his sick one handed catches in their first drive.

I’m watching the Cubs game and keeping an eye on the Cardinals score also... No interest in the NFL until next Sunday at about 3pm..

That hit on Njoku and the one on Cook yesterday, I guess I don’t understand what constitutes a defenseless receiver penalty.

That hit on Njoku and the one on Cook yesterday, I guess I don’t understand what constitutes a defenseless receiver penalty.

Exactly what I was thinking. I have a theory though. Gonna post a thread on it later.

That hit on Njoku won't help dispel OBJ's accusation that Willams coaches dirty.

The refs pulling OBJ out of the game on 3rd and goal is ridiculous. You do that during a change of possession.

The refs pulling OBJ out of the game on 3rd and goal is ridiculous. You do that during a change of possession.

Indeed, I was shocked. I would have been livid if the officials had done that to MT. I've seen tons of dark visors and never seen a player pulled during a game like that.

I guess someone has to start a thread. Landry and OBJ back together. Bell is back. Quite a few storylines in this game.

Officiating is whack so far. Pulled OBJ out right after his big catch because his visor was too dark. :freak7: Tight end lands on his head after being hit below his knees. No call for defenseless receiver. OBJ got mugged well downfield and no illegal contact. It's a mess, lol.

On the TE hit a little while ago, I don't think the contact was prohibited - the defender did not "launch" with both his feet off the ground AND did not use his helmet. The receiver being "defenseless posture" is only the first part of the rule - part 1. Next you look at part 2 - "prohibited contact." The TE was off the ground but not the defender. Plus I think the defender used his shoulder. Look at rule 2 below. 2.1 and 2.2 clearly don't apply. Rule 2.3 might but I didn't see the contact as violating 2.3 either.

The hit on Cook was clearly a missed penalty IMO. He was in a defenseless posture 1.2 and the contact violated rule 2.1.

Here is the entire rule:

PLAYERS IN A DEFENSELESS POSTURE

It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.

1. Players in a defenseless posture are:
    1. A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass (passing posture)
    2. A receiver attempting to catch a pass who has not had time to clearly become a runner. If the player is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player
    3. The intended receiver of a pass in the action during and immediately following an interception or potential interception. If the player is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player.
      Note: Violations of this provision will be enforced after the interception, and the intercepting team will maintain possession.
    4. A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped
    5. A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air
    6. A player on the ground
    7. A kicker/punter during the kick or during the return (Also see Article 6(h) for additional restrictions against a kicker/punter)
    8. A quarterback at any time after a change of possession (Also see Article 9(f) for additional restrictions against a quarterback after a change of possession)
    9. A player who receives a “blindside” block when the path of the offensive blocker is toward or parallel to his own end line.
    10. A player who is protected from an illegal crackback block (see Article 2)
    11. The offensive player who attempts a snap during a Field Goal attempt or a Try Kick
  2. Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
    1. forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenselessplayer by encircling or grasping him
    2. lowering the head and making forcible contact with the crown or ”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the defenselessplayer’s body
    3. illegally launching into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player (i) leaves both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and (ii) uses any part of his helmet to initiate forcible contact against any part of his opponent’s body. (This does not apply to contact against a runner, unless the runner is still considered to be a defenselessplayer, as defined in Article 7.)
Note 1: The provisions of (b) do not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or helmet in the course of a conventional tackle or block on an opponent.

Note 2: A player who initiates contact against a defenseless opponent is responsible for avoiding an illegal act. This includes illegal contact that may occur during the process of attempting to dislodge the ball from an opponent. A standard of strict liability applies for any contact against a defenseless opponent, even if the opponent is an airborne player who is returning to the ground or whose body position is otherwise in motion, and irrespective of any acts by the defenseless opponent, such as ducking his head or curling up his body in anticipation of contact.

Penalty: For unnecessary roughness: Loss of 15 yards and an automatic first down. The player may be disqualified if the action is judged by the official(s) to be flagrant.

A tough game to look at from the 1st quarter, sloppy.

Baker really didn’t look overly impressive.

That looked bad...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom