Brushing Teeth: Before or After Breakfast? (1 Viewer)

Brushing you teeth in the morning?

• Before Breakfast

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • After Breakfast

Votes: 26 63.4%

• Total voters

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve always been an after person. I will say when I had to be at the office at 8am I brushed after my shower and would eat breakfast at the office buildings deli

What’s your preference?
==========================

The prosecution: Alex​

Brushing after breakfast makes sense – why start your day with crumbs stuck in your teeth?

My wife, Wanda, believes you should brush your teeth before breakfast. But I think you should eat first, then brush it all away after breakfast. After you wake up, there’s a lot of bacteria between your teeth. I have told Wanda this over the years (diplomatically of course) that she’s in the wrong, but she won’t change.

Usually the question about who’s right doesn’t come up. But recently I read an article saying that her method of brushing before breakfast is better for good dental hygiene. The article said brushing before breakfast coats your teeth in toothpaste and offers protection against food and sugar for the rest of the day……

The defence: Wanda​

I was taught that you wake up, have a wash and clean your teeth – the issue is a cultural one

When I was young, my parents always said that when you wake up, you should brush your teeth, wash your face and freshen up. It gives you that instant energy after being asleep. So that’s why I always brush my teeth before breakfast.

It’s a habit I’ve had for many years. I was taught that when you wake up and wash immediately, you become a different person – you get rid of the night. It’s what I’m used to. I’m of a Chinese background and my husband’s American. We’ve just been taught by our parents to do different things.

Brushing my teeth before breakfast also saves time. I tried Alex’s method before, but because I have to leave for work straight after I finish my breakfast, I don’t want to go back upstairs to brush. It takes up too much time. So I quit that habit very quickly. Now after breakfast I’m quickly out of the door to start the commute.

If I brush my teeth after breakfast I also find it annoying because I’ll taste toothpaste on the way to work and that leaves a horrible flavour in my mouth for hours. I really don’t like it……

I always brush my teeth before breakfast - I think there's bacteria that builds up on your teeth from when you were sleeping and its better to get it off than eat it. Not sure if that's true but it seems right to me.

I typically brush my teeth after breakfast too when I'm in a daily work routine. I don't always do it on weekends but a fair amount of time I do.

After...

Just tell Wanda she's wrong... She'll understand.

d2e.gif

Routine after rolling out of bed at 5AM:
1. let the dog out
2. feed the dog
3. make the coffee
4. do my business
5. shower
6. brush teeth
7. finish dressing
8. pack my lunch and sometimes breakfast to go if something quick & easy is available
9. make my coffee to go
10. kiss the Mrs goodbye

If I didn't pack a breakfast I usually have a case of Clif bars and/or package of oatmeal in my desk drawer.

It's funny this is mentioned because it makes me think about how I'm always looking for ways to streamline my workday morning routine. Every morning I try to see how few wasted steps I can take. I have the same routine every weekday and I try to prep everything the evening before like picking out/ironing clothes and hanging them in the bathroom, deciding what I want to bring for lunch (usually leftovers) and staging it in the fridge, getting the coffee pot ready so that I only need to put in a filter & grounds. I hate it when I do something like go to take my shower and realize I forgot something because it's wasted steps. If I can get up and out the door in 30-45 minutes, I get an endorphine kick that helps me jump start my day. I also know I'll get a nice view of the sunrise on my way in.

ETA: Yes, I do realize that I am a bit OCD. I mean, I numbered my entire morning routine for a bunch of anonymous people on a message board for God's sake...

Last edited:
I always brush my teeth before breakfast - I think there's bacteria that builds up on your teeth from when you were sleeping and its better to get it off than eat it. Not sure if that's true but it seems right to me.

I typically brush my teeth after breakfast too when I'm in a daily work routine. I don't always do it on weekends but a fair amount of time I do.
Same. First thing I do in the morning is brush my grill. I don’t know how anyone starts their day with that gross feeling in their mouth. After I have coffee & eat, I brush again and then at night before bed. If I take a nap, I usually brush after that too. I also carry floss/floss picks (the kind that look like a little sling shot) with me everywhere and floss multiple times per day.

My dentist always tells me my cleanings are very boring bc I practice excellent oral hygiene.

Same. First thing I do in the morning is brush my grill. I don’t know how anyone starts their day with that gross feeling in their mouth. After I have coffee & eat, I brush again and then at night before bed. If I take a nap, I usually brush after that too. I also carry floss/floss picks (the kind that look like a little sling shot) with me everywhere and floss multiple times per day.

My dentist always tells me my cleanings are very boring bc I practice excellent oral hygiene.
I keep a toothbrush, mouthwash and floss picks at work as well as floss picks in my truck. (y)

Before.

I used to be Team After, but have gotten to the point where I eat breakfast a bit later than I used to (it used to be literally wake up, go to the restroom, eat breakfast), and I don't want a gross-feeling mouth that long.

Routine after rolling out of bed at 5AM:
1. let the dog out
2. feed the dog
3. make the coffee
4. do my business
5. shower
6. brush teeth
7. finish dressing
8. pack my lunch and sometimes breakfast to go if something quick & easy is available
9. make my coffee to go
10. kiss the Mrs goodbye
pre-show (evening before):
set coffee pot
make breakfast burrito or put fronzen fruit in bowl for morning yogurt/granola

1. am business ( i will never again make the mistake of not having this be the first thing i do)
2. walk dog
3. feed animals
4. make my & kids' lunch
5. make my bfast
here it might get a bit inconsistent bc the wife is waking up around this time and if it's early enough she'll take over kids' breakfast
6. eat bfast drin 1st cup of coffee
7. dishes
8. Shower - and this is what you people are missing out on - BRUSH TEETH IN SHOWER
9. dress
10. kisses bye
11 in car with lunch & thermos of coffee

Growing up I was taught to brush my teeth after breakfast, but my general order of action is:
  • Breakfast (I used to skip this step but nowadays usually try to work in a bowl of cereal)
  • sheet
  • Shower
  • Shave
  • Brush
  • Mouthwash
If I don't plan on showering for awhile I'll go ahead and brush after I eat, but even if I've brushed recently I always like to brush after I get out of the shower so my mouth feels as clean as the rest of me.

My wife is a first thing when she gets up brusher.

i don't eat breakfast, but when i do, it is always before i eat. in fairness, generally an hour or so after.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom