Bryant Gumbel and Chris Collinsworth calling the Broncos vs. Chiefs game (1 Viewer)

Gumbel struggled hard core to even sound like he'd seen a football game before.

Picture "Carlton Banks" from the "Fresh Prince of Belair" trying to pick a lady...it was that awkward sounding.

On a first and ten, Mike Bell ran around the side gets two yards but is then pushed back about four yards and tackled. Gumble says "Bell gets tacked for a loss of about two yards". Then the screen flashes 2nd and 8. You think they would of explained to him about forward progress before he did the gig.

Just saying I used to really enjoy one of our former Coaches, the "Magnificent" Hank Stram! He was paired with Joe Buck Sr. and the pair would call Monday Night games for the National Radio broadcasts, whomever that was, CBS or ABC or whatever the radio network was back then.

Hank would say what the play was before it happened and tell you why! Man, that Coach knew football and I would love to hear him call a game to explain the details and nuances behind the game plan! Never focusing on himself and always a gentleman while he did it never ingratiating himself just to embelish his own stature. He as cool just as he was and made listening to football on the radio while watching it on TV (this is when the TV booth was a home to buffoons whom I don't recall now)

Those days seem so long ago and how it would be a breath of fresh air to hear more calls by guys whose goal it is, is to truly inform the audience about what is happening on the field and with the teams rather than polishing their own fading stars while tarnishing other's.

!!!!!!!!!!!! GEAUX SAINTS GEAUX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope the tv ratings for this game stink. I would hate for the NFL to move in the direction of premiun channels and pay per view to watch ther games.

This was a big year to that goal. Although the swapping out of Monday Night Football with Sunday night football to cable seems harmless enough, I think it was a big step in the direction of paying to see NFL on tv. Historically, it was expected that MNF would always be a network show for all to see. They have now taken that way from everyone, and used temporary conciliation of another game on Sunday to think nothing was lost. However a 3rd network game on Sunday doesn't have the same status of 1 network game on Monday. Once you start training football fans to no longer expect their favorite football games to be on network tv, you open the door for all sorts of paying to see the NFL on tv.

Gumbel's high-pitched voice, along with his seeming total inability of keeping up with the game, makes me want to gouge my eyes out with an ice-cream scoop and stuff them in my ears.

Collinsworth seems more interested in talking about everything BUT the ongoing game. Maybe they wanted Collinsworth to stay out of the game-calling and be more of a "fluff" announcer? Who knows? I still hate it.

BOTH of them have made some pretty stupid calls. Early in the game, Gumbel makes a comment (I believe), and Collinsworth agrees with him, that one of the teams had yet to make a first down. He apparently forgot completely about the first down they had achieved two series prior.

They're disgusting as a game-calling duo. Period. I'd rather listen to the MNF crew discuss the finer points of Broadway with some celebrity while the game's being played (similar to what they do every stinkin' Monday), than listen to the inane, boring, and lost Bobsey Twins.

Okay. Rant done.

So. How are things, hmmmmmm?

Personally I like Chris Collinsworth. Gumbel should stick to HBO's Real Sports.(Although way back in the day, Gumbel was a decent announcer when he started out)

Did they even have sideline reporters for the game? I know that the Lions game did not while the Cowboys game had Pam Oliver.

there was another call that Gumbel screwed up also. When one team punted the ball and the player at the other end was obviously in the end zone when he swatted the ball back out to try to prevent a touchback. Gumbel didnt know what to call. He was like "What was that? what's the call? Collinsworth said in a cocky, know it all voice "its a touchback". thought that was funny. gumbel shouldnt be calling games. In fact, he has no knowledge of the actual game itself, he just knows the inside scoops of things that are going on behind the scenes.

I hate Collinsworth as much as the next person, but I thought he actually did a decent job. As far as Gumbel goes, from the opening words of the game to the closing, he made me want to turn the tv off.

I enjoyed it!

My favorite was when one of the teams (yes, I can't remember) had a 3rd and about two near the opposition 4 yard line. They needed to get to the 2 for a 1st down.

They ran it to the one and got the first and goal.

One announcer was surprised the didn't pass from that distance.

The other said something like: "they've got to go for it now!"

The other agreed with that, he'd go for it.

Apparently, neither realized the distance for the first. Then neither realized it became first and goal.

I'll refrain from my other favorite, just it involved pronunciation of the name that started with an "S".

I thought it was a lot of good, though unintended, humor!

ddd

dang it ! I thought these guys were the A team

I thought Gumbel did a pretty decent job, certainly more polished than Collingsworth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom