Buchanan's Take on McCain's Foreign Policy (1 Viewer)

philipkw

Truth Finder
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Despite some of the warts, I like Buchanan. I hesitate to use labels as there are always examples that contradict them, but among the more cogent voices espousing the “conservative” view is, IMO, Pat Buchanan.

Excerpts followed by a link to the story.

What has the Bush-McCain democracy crusade produced, save electoral victories for the Muslim Brotherhood, Hezbollah and Hamas? And if we dump the sultan of Oman, President Mubarak, and the king of Saudi Arabia, who does McCain think will replace them?

If undermining Arab autocrats is good for America, why is that also the goal of Osama bin Laden?

McCain proposes a "League of Democracies" to unite a hundred nations for peace and freedom. "Revanchist Russia," however, is to be black-balled from McCain's league and thrown out of the G-8.

What would this accomplish other than undoing the work of Reagan in bringing Moscow in from the cold, driving Russia into the arms of China, restarting the Cold War and recreating the Beijing-Moscow axis it was Nixon's great achievement to break up?

What McCain is proposing is a re-division of the world into the forces of light and the forces of darkness. Moral clarity at last! Has he forgotten the fate of that earlier rabbit warren of the righteous, the League of Nations?

To root one's attitude toward nations based upon their internal politics rather than their foreign policies is ideology. And policies rooted in ideologies, from Trotskyism to democratism, end up on the Great Barrier Reef of reality.

<a href=http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/04/onward_the_revolution.html>Link</A>

Despite some of the warts, I like Buchanan. I hesitate to use labels as there are always examples that contradict them, but among the more cogent voices espousing the “conservative” view is, IMO, Pat Buchanan.

Excerpts followed by a link to the story.

Link

Buchanan is right on.

Ideologies get people killed. The only proper basis for going to war or establishing a policy is a core national interest. What we do in the Middle East -- have been doing for decades -- is far out of whack with our core national interests.

This is why we lurch from failure to failure and crisis to crisis.

If you're going to set a goal, why not include all the nations of the world and work from there?

McCain would be more of a failure than Bush.

I don't even want to imagine how bad he could be.

As an Obama supporter, I was even considering voting McCain if Obama didn't get the nomination.

But the more I learn about McCain, the more upset I get for even considering to vote for him.

He's just as clueless about the Middle East as Bush was, when heading into the war with Iraq.

With that said, I fully expect Obama to get the nomination. But if something crazy happens, I would have to vote for Clinton, even though I very much despise her. I just don't want to see another term for a Bush clone. And yes, I'm aware that he differs from Bush's polices in a few very important areas, but he has the same terrifying policy about this war - which is by far the most important issue.

I'm not a conservative by any means, but I find Pat Buchanan's analysis terribly compelling. I really enjoy his contributions on MSNBC.

i have met mr buchanan. he is a pompas ***...
after said meeting, i read what he says with a grain of salt and believe even less...

Because being a pompous *** makes one disingenuous?

Buchanan is always interesting and thought provoking. Whether he’s pompous or not is irrelevant to his ability to clearly articulate a POV that often makes a lot of sense.

Although there was no formal introduction I went to a campaign rally in Gulfport in 1991 when he was running and there were about 10 or 15 of us that surrounded him on the sidewalk after the speech to quiz him. As I recall he was pleasant and accommodating. :shrug:

His thoughts on this matter are worthy of debate. At what point does a country’s internal politics have an affect our foreign policy posture? Sounds like Buchanan would say never. I’m not sure I agree but I think he’s closer to wisdom than those that would attempt to democratize by force.

Buchanan is intellectually consistent to a great degree. As such, from time to time we're all going to find some major point of his agreeable from time to time.

I haven't agreed with much of what he's said for the last 30 years, but he's a good American, as far as my layman's viewpoint can tell.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom