NFL Bucky Brooks predicts Kyler Murray will be NFL MVP this year. (1 Viewer)

So we're expecting Arizona to be a contender next season? Usually, the MVP is on a pretty good team. Tyler has a lot of potential but I don't see his team being a contender next year.

Tremendous athlete with very high potential. But two things.

First, against the Saints last year, too many of his passes were really off the mark.

Second, MVP goes to players on playoff, if not championship, teams, and Arizona may still be the fourth team in a tough division.

I agree. It usually goes to the Qb on the team with the best overall record. There are exceptions,but rare historically

That's a pretty bold prediction, but I like the thought he put into it.

In reality it's probably going to be a pretty boring race unless Mahomes gets hurt.

I do think this might be one of Brees' best chances to win one. He has more weapons than he's had in a long time and he would probably get some votes just as a career recognition award if he's in the hunt. But a lot of that will depend on how many QB snaps Taysom takes from Brees, and what the offense looks like.

The MVP rarely goes to a player in their first 5 years. Manning and Brady both won MVP's late in their career.

the nfl isn't pushing a "narrative", the MVP is voted on by sports writers.
Sports writers love narratives, though, and that’s who votes for MVP.

Nothing sells like a good story. I’m not saying Mahomes and Lamar weren’t deserving, because they absolutely were. They were the best players each of the past two years, but narratives are definitely contrived in the media and bias is inherent when subjective matters are concerned.

Just for reference, here were the 50 MVP voters from 2018:

Sports writers love narratives, though, and that’s who votes for MVP.

Nothing sells like a good story. I’m not saying Mahomes and Lamar weren’t deserving, because they absolutely were. They were the best players each of the past two years, but narratives are definitely contrived in the media and bias is inherent when subjective matters are concerned.

Just for reference, here were the 50 MVP voters from 2018:

I think the media has largely gotten the MVP right most years. Brees and Mahomes were generally considered neck and neck two years ago, then Brees had that awful game in Dallas on national TV, and Mahomes continued to play well - that was all she wrote.

The last controversial one was 2011, and while Brees definitely should have won, Rodgers absolutely had an MVP-caliber season.

The only narrative I could see happening is Mahomes fatigue after another year or two. But he's the odds on favorite to win it every year that he starts the season healthy.

I think the media has largely gotten the MVP right most years. Brees and Mahomes were generally considered neck and neck two years ago, then Brees had that awful game in Dallas on national TV, and Mahomes continued to play well - that was all she wrote.

The last controversial one was 2011, and while Brees definitely should have won, Rodgers absolutely had an MVP-caliber season.

The only narrative I could see happening is Mahomes fatigue after another year or two. But he's the odds on favorite to win it every year that he starts the season healthy.
Agreed

Said it several times before and I guess I'll say it again...

Brees not getting MVP has always been simply a product of bad timing. Each year that he had a truly MVP-style season, someone unfortunately was playing just a little better.

In 2009 it was Peyton Manning, who looked as if he might take the Colts to 16-0 for a while.......in 2011 it was Aaron Rodgers (go back and watch how unstoppable the Packers looked for much of that season)......and in 2018 it was Patrick Mahomes.

So which other seasons was it really up for debate?

2010? Dude threw over 20 INTs that season.

2012? Bountygate season

2013? Had a nice season, sure, but not league MVP-caliber.

2014 - 2016?: 7-9 purgatory.

2017?: far more emphasis on the run game with Ingram and Kamara

2019?: missed 5 games............plus, did you SEE Lamar Jackson play?

He won’t win because they won’t be in contention. Maybe they’ll be in the running for, or even take, a wildcard spot. But leading a team to 9-7 or 10-6 won’t get it done when another QB will put up similar stats and go 12-4 or 13-3.

How original. Someone says this in EVERY single MVP thread. I knew someone would say this as I started reading this thread.
A lot of us understand that it doesn't matter how dominant Brees is during any season. He won't win it. If he played in New York, Chicago, Boston, or Los Angeles, he might. Not in New Orleans.

I don't see some guy in Arizona winning it either.

I can't think of any reasonable scenario where Brees could win league MVP this season.

I'm not sold on Kyler as MVP just yet but put me on the plus side that believes the cards will be better than the early opinions, especially with Hopkins now on board.

A lot of us understand that it doesn't matter how dominant Brees is during any season. He won't win it. If he played in New York, Chicago, Boston, or Los Angeles, he might. Not in New Orleans.

I don't see some guy in Arizona winning it either.

I can't think of any reasonable scenario where Brees could win league MVP this season.
That wasn't my point. My point was that of course everyone would rather see their favorite player win a super bowl MVP than NFL MVP. And someone has to state this in every MVP thread, like they are the first to ever say this

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom