Bucky Brooks rookie projections (Brandin Cooks highlighted) (1 Viewer)

Nightshade

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Brandin Cooks, WR, New Orleans Saints

Best-case scenario: Cooks is the most polished receiver entering the NFL in 2014, with a game built on speed, quickness and explosiveness. Those traits not only make him a terrific playmaking threat on the perimeter, but they also could allow him to become an impossible cover in the slot. With the Saints looking to offset the departures of Darren Sproles and Lance Moore, Cooks could get a prime role in the offense as a rookie.
Worst-case scenario: As mentioned above, rookie receivers generally have a tough time adjusting to the NFL, particularly in complex offenses with a number of reads in the passing game. Thus, Cooks' career could get off to a slow start in New Orleans if he isn't able to master the nuances of coach Sean Payton's dynamic system. While it's unlikely that the creative schemer will fail to take advantage of Cooks' unique talents, it could take awhile for the rookie to find his identity in the Saints' offense.
Projection: 50 catches, 800 receiving yards, six touchdowns.
NFL rookie projections: Sammy Watkins, Johnny Manziel, more - NFL.com

Based on interviews I've seen, what coaches have said and the type of kid he seems to be, I doubt learning the playbook/scheme will be a problem at all. I think in this offense that is a fair assessment of stats for this next year. He is a perfect slot guy with amazing RAC ability and should thrive immediately IMO.

A few other snipets from Brooks on our draft

BEST PICK: Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
New Orleans Saints, Round 1, No. 20 overall
Sean Payton is arguably the league's top play-caller, with a knack for putting his best offensive weapons in position to hit home runs. Cooks is a polished pass catcher with explosive speed, quickness and burst. While some miscast Cooks as strictly a slot receiver, the 2013 Biletnikoff Award winner (given to the top college receiver) is a versatile player with the skills to wreak havoc from any spot on the field. Given Payton's masterful scheming and the offseason trade of Darren Sproles, Cooks quickly could become the X-factor in the Saints' lineup.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS: The Saints are one of the few NFL teams that boasts a stingy defense and an explosive offense. Payton and Co. ensured the balanced dominance would continue by expending top picks on blue-chip talents on both sides of the ball. The Saints aggressively moved up seven spots in Round 1 to snag Cooks at No. 20. The diminutive speedster is a well-rounded receiver with skills to play on the outside or in the slot in Payton's system. Not only will Cooks replace free-agent departee Lance Moore's production as a between-the-hashes playmaker; he'll also take over Sproles' role as a matchup nightmare. Stanley Jean-Baptiste gives defensive coordinator Rob Ryan another long, rangy corner to use in press coverage. Although the young defender has to work through some rough spots in his game, his development should be accelerated by the presence of veterans Champ Bailey and Keenan Lewis. Vinnie Sunseri will be a special teams demon, with the potential to also fill a role as a No. 3 safety in sub-packages. GRADE: B+

A few other snipets from Brooks on our draft

New Orleans Saints, Round 1, No. 20 overall
Sean Payton is arguably the league's top play-caller, with a knack for putting his best offensive weapons in position to hit home runs. Cooks is a polished pass catcher with explosive speed, quickness and burst. While some miscast Cooks as strictly a slot receiver, the 2013 Biletnikoff Award winner (given to the top college receiver) is a versatile player with the skills to wreak havoc from any spot on the field. Given Payton's masterful scheming and the offseason trade of Darren Sproles, Cooks quickly could become the X-factor in the Saints' lineup.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS: The Saints are one of the few NFL teams that boasts a stingy defense and an explosive offense. Payton and Co. ensured the balanced dominance would continue by expending top picks on blue-chip talents on both sides of the ball. The Saints aggressively moved up seven spots in Round 1 to snag Cooks at No. 20. The diminutive speedster is a well-rounded receiver with skills to play on the outside or in the slot in Payton's system. Not only will Cooks replace free-agent departee Lance Moore's production as a between-the-hashes playmaker; he'll also take over Sproles' role as a matchup nightmare. Stanley Jean-Baptiste gives defensive coordinator Rob Ryan another long, rangy corner to use in press coverage. Although the young defender has to work through some rough spots in his game, his development should be accelerated by the presence of veterans Champ Bailey and Keenan Lewis. Vinnie Sunseri will be a special teams demon, with the potential to also fill a role as a No. 3 safety in sub-packages. GRADE: B+

[/URL]

Thanks for posting the quotes. This has me more fired up for the season! :9:

I think we need to check our expectations because he's still a rookie and still has to make the adjustments to the pro game...

I can already see the fan reaction if he doesn't blow up in his rookie year...

If he ends up with 35 receptions or something the fan will try to replace him by someone in next years years undrafted free agent class...

Based on interviews I've seen, what coaches have said and the type of kid he seems to be, I doubt learning the playbook/scheme will be a problem at all. I think in this offense that is a fair assessment of stats for this next year. He is a perfect slot guy with amazing RAC ability and should thrive immediately IMO.

This. Cooks is very intelligent, and I suspect football smart too. He will contribute big time this year. Even if he doesn't get 1000 yards, he will have tremendous decoy value. He will physically occupy at least 2 defenders on every snap, and will be inside the heads of the entire defensive backfield.

I think we need to check our expectations because he's still a rookie and still has to make the adjustments to the pro game...

If he ends up with 35 receptions or something the fan will try to replace him by someone in next years years undrafted free agent class...

I don't know about all that. I'll fully expect him to make an immediate impact and will be disappointed if he doesn't but I wouldn't be ready to write him off after his rookie season. Sometimes as fans we overhype things but this guy is for real. You'll see.

I don't know about all that. I'll fully expect him to make an immediate impact and will be disappointed if he doesn't but I wouldn't be ready to write him off after his rookie season. Sometimes as fans we overhype things but this guy is for real. You'll see.

Didn't DeSean Jackson break out his first year? Cooks has the same skill set, plus he is smarter and has a better attitude. A good QB to throw him open doesn't hurt either.

Think Beer Man with better hands and route running.

Why draft Cooks when we already had Tanner? /SARCASM

For those who don't understand sarcasm, it's a joke. :)

I love all the B. Cooks articles but I'm ready to see what he can do on the field even if it's just practice.

Didn't DeSean Jackson break out his first year? Cooks has the same skill set, plus he is smarter and has a better attitude. A good QB to throw him open doesn't hurt either.

...and he's faster (by NFL combine electronic measurement standards faster). Let that sink in.

Cooks is going to be heavily involved. Look at the 2 players last year that picked things up quickly, Vaccaro and Stills.

Vaccaro picked everything up quickly defensively, and RR threw the kitchen sink at him, positioning him everywhere and giving him multiple assignments. Stills was the same way although I think he had a few rookie blips that made Payton dial it back a bit.

Cooks is a 1st round pick that we traded up for and I believe we will throw the kitchen sink at him. The rookie blips will be overlooked because of what we gave up to get him. I can easily see him getting over 1000yds 70+ receptions.

Think Beer Man with better hands and route running.

...and he's faster (by NFL combine electronic measurement standards faster). Let that sink in.

And he has a much higher Football IQ on top of it

Why should fans "check" their expectations? I don't expect the second coming of Jerry Rice but Cooks is going to be exciting to watch and I'm looking forward to it.

Also, I don't know who this fan is that you think has the power to replace Cooks in next years undrafted free agent class but I guarantee you that won't happen. There is no fan, no matter how powerful or influential who has the power to make personnel decisions. Please don't worry yourself over this any more. You can lay your head on your pillow tonight and sleep easy. I assure you that Loomis and Payton will continue to hold on to the power to replace players.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom