"Bucs have Brady, Saints have Winston, and we all have a nervous tic" from Enemy Territory (1 Viewer)

SaintSansPeur

Seffner Saint
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
"Just when it seemed like Tampa Bay wouldn’t have to worry about Jameis Winston anymore, he appears set to sign with the Saints and increases our paranoia.

Oh Jameis, you clever rascal.

Even on your way out the door, even when Tampa Bay is all abuzz over Tom Brady, you’ve managed to give the Buccaneers another case of collective heartburn. A tip of the hat to you, sir...."

Tampa faithful getting nervous with the Saints signing Winston....

Bucs have Brady, Saints have Winston, and we all have a nervous tic

I love this part of the article:

Think about it for a minute. What is the worst-case scenario for the Bucs? It’s not just the Tom Brady gamble blowing up. It’s the Brady gamble blowing up, and Winston becoming a star somewhere else.

The Bucs knew they were taking a risk by allowing another young quarterback to leave town. Steve Young was 25 when he was traded. Doug Williams and Trent Dilfer were both 27 when they left. Winston is 26.

Now, I’m sure if you ask general manager Jason Licht and head coach Bruce Arians to make the choice again today between Brady and Winston, they will choose Brady 98 out of 100 times. But yesterday, it might have been 99 out of 100.”

No offense to Brees.. he is top 5 QB of all time.. but it was because he pushed himself.

Sean Payton has never had a QB with this much talent.. and if he fixes the turnover issue... and on THIS team.. Winston might start racking up trophies.

I love this part of the article:

Think about it for a minute. What is the worst-case scenario for the Bucs? It’s not just the Tom Brady gamble blowing up. It’s the Brady gamble blowing up, and Winston becoming a star somewhere else.

The Bucs knew they were taking a risk by allowing another young quarterback to leave town. Steve Young was 25 when he was traded. Doug Williams and Trent Dilfer were both 27 when they left. Winston is 26.

Now, I’m sure if you ask general manager Jason Licht and head coach Bruce Arians to make the choice again today between Brady and Winston, they will choose Brady 98 out of 100 times. But yesterday, it might have been 99 out of 100.”

Almost no one remembers anymore, plus I was barely out of diapers myself, but I know from just being a league history buff that the Bucs once had a pretty good defense long before the Dungy/Sapp/Chuckie years. It was at the tail end of the '70s and as the '80s started. They had the Selmon brothers and Hugh Green. They wasted Doug Williams' potential, then didn't want to pay him and drove him to the USFL. They then wasted Steve Young and Vinny Testaverde by not surrounding them with enough help on both sides of the ball. It's why the Bucs were the Bad News Bears of the NFL for about 15 years.

No offense to Brees.. he is top 5 QB of all time.. but it was because he pushed himself.

Sean Payton has never had a QB with this much talent.. and if he fixes the turnover issue... and on THIS team.. Winston might start racking up trophies.

Disagree, Drew Brees is more "talented" at the QB position than Winston....he has a quicker release, sees the field better, and is way more accurate. About the only thing Winston has that Brees doesn't is a stronger arm...

I think it is much more than fixing the turnover issue for Winston, I think he is wanting to learn how to play the position differently (and better) and to learn real leadership skills...I, for one, hope it works out.....

And that’s why the Jameis Winston signing could possibly be a blessing in disguise. It already puts pressure on Brady to succeed right away. And then if Jameis does turn it around, and wins out as the future starter, wow. Tampa could be paying for their mistake for the next 10 years.

Almost no one remembers anymore, plus I was barely out of diapers myself, but I know from just being a league history buff that the Bucs once had a pretty good defense long before the Dungy/Sapp/Chuckie years. It was at the tail end of the '70s and as the '80s started. They had the Selmon brothers and Hugh Green. They wasted Doug Williams' potential, then didn't want to pay him and drove him to the USFL. They then wasted Steve Young and Vinny Testaverde by not surrounding them with enough help on both sides of the ball. It's why the Bucs were the Bad News Bears of the NFL for about 15 years.

I remember, was in HS back then. Yeah, the Bucs made a lot of bad moves....and Hugh Green was hyped to be the next LT but that other guy he played with in college turned out to be a lot better :)

We could be like Green Bay in the 90s. How QBs did they have on the team that went on to start elsewhere? Hasstleback, AB, etc.

Mark Brunell and Aaron Brooks were the two most notable who went on to become starters for other teams. And both wore Saints uniforms at some point, of course.

Somethings to keep in mind here:
  • Oline was AWFUL in Tampa
  • Lack of a Running Game
  • Huge talent at WR
  • Lack of Vision. Literally nearsighted, beyond belief it took him that long to get Lasik.
They threw the ball a lot. Im hoping having more time in the pocket, better vision, and a better run game lead to success for him if he sticks here. Huge upside for Winston if he follows what Bridgewater was able to do here.

With all that being said, I miss Bridgwater the man. Winston is not the person I want leading this team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom