Bucs release Gerald McCoy (1 Viewer)

Crapaport doesn't know anything more than we all know right now. He says it's between the Browns and the Ravens. Well if that is so why is he still visiting other teams. If and when he leaves the Panthers, we will find out who's next on his list.

Well leave to Ian Crapoport to muddy the waters.

Rappaport is a slippery slope for sure. But, as I questioned in previous posts (in the other McCoy thread), define "win". McCoy wants to be paid....and the Patriots and Saints aren't going to pay him what he wants (in terms of $ and length of contract). If it were about winning at the highest level, thats where he would be looking to go. McCoy's definition of "winning" is getting a lot of money from a team that is hopefully competing for a playoff spot. All he did was discourage the bottom feeders from getting involved. I don't think he's worth (to us or NE) what he seems to want.

I think he may be holding off on signing anywhere until mandatory minicamps are over (between June 6th and June 13th) and minimize any additional risk of injury.

Do all his visits first, then by the time he's done with them and can get a contract hammered out, mandatory minicamps will have concluded or at least the team he signs with will be done.

June 4-6: Browns, Broncos, Lions, Dolphins, Patriots, Giants, Jets, Buccaneers, Redskins

June 11-13: Cardinals, Falcons, Ravens, Bills, Panthers, Bears, Bengals, Cowboys, Packers, Texans, Colts, Jaguars, Chiefs, Chargers, Rams, Vikings, Saints, Raiders, Eagles, Steelers, 49ers, Seahawks, Titans

Just my guess.

I would love to see McCoy in a Saints' uniform--but not at the price he will command. We don't have the cap space that other teams in pursuit of McCoy have. When he finally signs, the number will be big.

The wierd thing here is that we have more cap space than Carolina and we also dont have a one arm QB whom hasnt made a throw in over 8 months.

The wierd thing here is that we have more cap space than Carolina and we also dont have a one arm QB whom hasnt made a throw in over 8 months.
Overthecap is pretty accurate and we have less than them by 1.6 mil, but can add 5 mill if they cut Torrey Smith.

The Browns have the most cap(32.7) but they've added so many guys who'll need to be paid or extended that they're only offering him a rumored one year deal so they can have flexibility. Ravens are sitting at 13.7 and if the Panthers cut Smith they'll be at 14.8.

My money was on the Ravens but players interest start to peak when they can play their former team multiple times a year(which is why every nfcs team should've atleast reached out).

As well argued as that is, how often has any player ever revealed that as a reason to choose a particular team? I'd say very rarely, if ever?

Most likely factors:-
Money
Chance to win
Team fit

Training partners, revenge and opponent familiarity aren't up there.

It appeared to factor in here.

Edit: and

Last edited:
It appeared to factor in here.

Edit: and

I could of course be interpreting things just to suit my argument, but it sounds like a whole lot of dot connecting to create a story that isn't there by both reporters.

I still expect it was about money and somewhat about location, no's. 1 and 2 on my list. That's only my opinion though.

Obviously GMC might later come out and say something to support the revenge & familiarity things and I'll be more convinced. But until then, I still see a lot of wishful thinking went on here, when in fact the Saints were never in the running, at least not once his contract expectations were outlined.

> “I want to win”

> *signs with a team that imploded halfway through 2018 and went 1-7 over the last 8 games, only winning against a team resting their starters*

giphy.gif

I could of course be interpreting things just to suit my argument, but it sounds like a whole lot of dot connecting to create a story that isn't there by both reporters.

I still expect it was about money and somewhat about location, no's. 1 and 2 on my list. That's only my opinion though.

Obviously GMC might later come out and say something to support the revenge & familiarity things and I'll be more convinced. But until then, I still see a lot of wishful thinking went on here, when in fact the Saints were never in the running, at least not once his contract expectations were outlined.

Yeah. I thought for sure it was about length of contract instead of one-year money. Looks like I was completely wrong. For my mind, signing McCoy for 1 year while Rankins is hobbled solved an issue for us and was totally worth it.

My new best guess is that our coaches and front office think Onyemata/Edwards is the answer. A cheap-ish Edwards instead of a bank-breaking McCoy is totally a Belichick-esque move.

Now that 8.5 million cap space we have can be either a short term or long term problem solver.

In the short term, if somebody we like gets released this year we have the money to go after them. Also, if we lose somebody important during the heat of a playoff push, and we can swing a trade, we have the cap room to cover it. That could be a season saver.

As for long term... if we end up not having to use any or all of that 8.5 million, we can roll it over and use it to finally pay off some of our Drew Brees cap-debt. (I believe we can roll it over)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom