Bucs release Gerald McCoy (1 Viewer)

A one year deal around 6mil, no problem. You'll have to cut a good depth piece later but it's doable. I think McCoy will easily get a multi year deal though. Then you start comprimising what you built at DT.

I don't think the drop off will be that bad. Onyemata was under-rated. He's played at Rankins level overall. Actually both were graded higher than McCoy. Brown adds pass rush that Davidson didnt.
He's apparently had offers up to $11 million a year.

Money. Well, well.

I apologise if I sounded petulant before, it just felt like a conversation where logic was being trumped by wishful thinking.

I think the key indicator was when Suh, signed as a cheaper replacement for McCoy, signed for $9.25m plus incentives. That meant McCoy was always going to cost more than this.

Last edited:
Money. Well, well.

I apologise if I sounded petulant before, it just felt like a conversation where logic was being trumped by wishful thinking.

I think the key indicator was when Suh, signed as a cheaper replacement for McCoy, signed for 9.25m plus incentives. That meant McCoy was always going to cost more than this.
Hey man, we're a forgiving bunch over here. We're just very, very passionate about our Saints and very passionate about getting players that become available that we know can come in and be a big factor in helping the team. It's like we try to will it to happen, and sometimes it works. I'm still holding out hope that we can we can get McCoy to come here.

Money. Well, well.

I think the key indicator was when Suh, signed as a cheaper replacement for McCoy, signed for 9.25m plus incentives. That meant McCoy was always going to cost more than this.

As pretty much all of us said from the beginning, if another team with a lot more space offered a ton of money, we would almost certainly be out of it.

Still a fun conversation.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure you called it a fantasy well before the Suh numbers were announced.

As pretty much all of us said from the beginning, if another team with a lot more space offered a ton of money, we would almost certainly be out of it.

Still a fun conversation.
I see how that could read. No, I meant it became clear after he signed for that much. My opinion before was that thinking those other positive factors in our favour would seriously outweigh money was fantastical.

And I have to remember that no one has to agree with me on that. I get bound up in logic as it's how I approach most debates, but that's not necessarily the case for everyone else.

I see how that could read. No, I meant it became clear after he signed for that much. My opinion before was that thinking those other positive factors in our favour would seriously outweigh money was fantastical.

And I have to remember that no one has to agree with me on that. I get bound up in logic as it's how I approach most debates, but that's not necessarily the case for everyone else.

It’s not about getting bound up on logic. It’s using words and phrases like “fantasy” and “nonsense” and “bound up on logic” which come off as condescending.

We are all here to have discussion. Just because we bring up possibilities about how players would fit doesn’t mean we are saying it’s going to happen. It’s a long offseason and it’s one of many topics worth discussing.

Just like this conversation.
Except that the Browns aren't going after Beckham, because the Giants are not trading him. He's a superstar who is under contract and will be sorely needed if and when they break in a new QB to help keep them afloat.

This is just off-season nonsense. But feel free to say 'everyone has a price' as if that actually means something.
No it's not foolish, its realistic. Cooks importance to this team was in no way comparable to OBJ on the Giants. Simple as that.

Your references to the circus being 'too big to tolerate' are just a chosen interpretation to fit your preferred outcome. Remember that fun video he posted? Pretty hard to ignore, right? And yet he's still wearing New York blue.

Also there is the tiny matter of the contract Beckham has and how much of his contract cap hit would accelerate onto this year's total cap for the Giants, if they traded him. It's not feasible.

But you carry on, I'm the one being foolish discussing an unsubstantiated Twitter rumour as if it means something.

It’s not about getting bound up on logic. It’s using words and phrases like “fantasy” and “nonsense” and “bound up on logic” which come off as condescending.

We are all here to have discussion. Just because we bring up possibilities about how players would fit doesn’t mean we are saying it’s going to happen. It’s a long offseason and it’s one of many topics worth discussing.

Just like this conversation.
Ok, so you may need to understand that I nail my colours to the mast pretty clearly in a debate, that's how I am, and that may feel pretty full on. It may be slight cultural dissonance, I had an Australian neighbour whose way of approaching things felt very aggressive to me and I decided it was a cultural norm for him to act like this. So I can empathise and will continue to try to take that into account.

However, I think I can (usually) support my position with reasoned argument that *is* bound in logic, so that's how I'm going to continue to describe myself. If you feel condescended to by that, then I'm afraid I can't help too much other than cut back on the petulance and exasperation, as I apologise for above.

Furthermore, if you want to cite previous posts, it would be nice if you recognised where I come back later and say, fairly and unequivocally, "Yeah, seems I was wrong about that!" Because I think that's what we should all do.

If I can make another request, it would be great not to receive responses that basically say, if you disagree with the majority opinion, then why are you responding to my thread? Because interacting should welcome all input, whether it validates your thoughts or stubbornly disagrees with them.

I still appreciate all the responses I've had in this thread, and the information and debate that goes on in this board. Even if I do come across like some old misery!

Ok, so you may need to understand that I nail my colours to the mast pretty clearly in a debate, that's how I am, and that may feel pretty full on. It may be slight cultural dissonance, I had an Australian neighbour whose way of approaching things felt very aggressive to me and I decided it was a cultural norm for him to act like this. So I can empathise and will continue to try to take that into account.

However, I think I can (usually) support my position with reasoned argument that *is* bound in logic, so that's how I'm going to continue to describe myself. If you feel condescended to by that, then I'm afraid I can't help too much other than cut back on the petulance and exasperation, as I apologise for above.

Furthermore, if you want to cite previous posts, it would be nice if you recognised where I come back later and say, fairly and unequivocally, "Yeah, seems I was wrong about that!" Because I think that's what we should all do.

If I can make another request, it would be great not to receive responses that basically say, if you disagree with the majority opinion, then why are you responding to my thread? Because interacting should welcome all input, whether it validates your thoughts or stubbornly disagrees with them.

I still appreciate all the responses I've had in this thread, and the information and debate that goes on in this board. Even if I do come across like some old misery!

Again, it’s not the disagreement. Disagreement is all part of the discussion. Others have pointed out that we already have a lot of 3-techs on the roster or that McCoy’s play has leveled off as reasons that a signing didn’t make as much sense. That’s all part of civil and enjoyable discussion.

It’s using words that come off as condescending and belittling of others’ opinions that causes the issue. If it’s a “foolish” or “nonsense” discussion, then why take part in it? That was the context of asking why you posted. Not simple disagreement.

Good on you for admitting you were wrong, as you did in the thread. We are all wrong at times.

Again, it’s not the disagreement. Disagreement is all part of the discussion. Others have pointed out that we already have a lot of 3-techs on the roster or that McCoy’s play has leveled off as reasons that a signing didn’t make as much sense. That’s all part of civil and enjoyable discussion.

It’s using words that come off as condescending and belittling of others’ opinions that causes the issue. If it’s a “foolish” or “nonsense” discussion, then why take part in it? That was the context of asking why you posted. Not simple disagreement.

Good on you for admitting you were wrong, as you did in the thread. We are all wrong at times.
I don't agree with everything you've said here, but I do agree that's as much time as either of us needs to spend debating it.

I don't agree with everything you've said here, but I do agree that's as much time as either of us needs to spend debating it.
That's what I like about this forum. We don't have to agree with everything everyone says. Because most everybody has a different opinion on the subject at hand being discussed. But in the end I believe we all want the same thing and that's the betterment of our Saints.

I'd love to have McCoy, but the demand for him is aplenty. With limited cap space, I don't see how we can compete.

I'd love to have McCoy, but the demand for him is aplenty. With limited cap space, I don't see how we can compete.
With an extension or 2 to certain players or maybe a restructure to a player and VOILA!!! there's your extra cap space. We have the Loomis, he can make it happen in a heartbeat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom