Bucs release Gerald McCoy (1 Viewer)

So people aren’t allowed to discuss why players would be good fits for a team? And vice versa? People discussed Jared Cook for weeks. That turned out pretty well.

And if you don’t like the topic, why post in the thread?

Was going to say the same thing. Jared Cook. It's not like we've never landed a big name FA before. It'd be a fantasy if we were the Cardinals

Same fantasy that people indulge in over every 'name' player on here.

People will always allow themselves to be convinced that their heart's desire will happen. I should never have interrupted the echo chamber, carry on as you were.
If people want to speculate where a FA may end up, they’re more than obliged to do so on our forum. If you don’t want to participate, go visit another thread. There’s plenty of them on our forum.

This thread is strange: lots of accusations of rumors, people getting upset, and jabs being thrown around. This is why I love SR! I hope Tribune UK keeps posting in here, I love hearing all sides.

Oh yeah, the obligatory: I hope we sign him.

This thread is strange: lots of accusations of rumors, people getting upset, and jabs being thrown around. This is why I love SR! I hope Tribune UK keeps posting in here, I love hearing all sides.

Oh yeah, the obligatory: I hope we sign him.

It's gotten a bit harsh but I feel for Tribune. Everyone is so enamored you can almost see the posts coming after we don't sign him. I don't think we should throw everything at McCoy. We should make an offer for a talented but aging vet that will have to fit into a very deep and young DT rotation. Signing McCoy probably means Stallworth is getting cut when Rankins comes back. Signing him to a multi-year deal means we may lose Onyemata next year. They have to be careful and competing with teams that would be willing to give him a defacto starting role won't be easy.

Seriously, what fantasy? I’ve seen you use that word quite a bit. If it’s a fantasy because he’s a FA and hasn’t signed or visited anywhere else? Sure. But that would make much of what’s discussed on here a fantasy.

No one thinks he is going to take a minimum salary deal with New Orleans over a multi-million dollar deal anywhere else.

And ultimately, Cleveland and Indy could pay him much more than we can if they choose. So if they offer a lot more money, sure he could go there (I certainly would).

But there are a lot of factors that could help the Saints’ cause if the numbers are equal, or at least close.

Doesn’t FA stand for Fantasy Agent? If not, it should, at least on this board on the off-season.

Rev and EJW did make a good point on their podcast though. (Although they did go a little fanboy about it for a change), but we do have the cap space to be competitive going for McCoy. It does feel like we've been holding on to that cap space for an opportunity like this.

Rev and EJW did make a good point on their podcast though. (Although they did go a little fanboy about it for a change), but we do have the cap space to be competitive going for McCoy. It does feel like we've been holding on to that cap space for an opportunity like this.
I can't remember the last time we carried over this kind of extra cap money into the next year. Especially with this being Brees's last year under contract, you'd think they're planning to get as many assets as possible with the cap money we've got left this year.

I can't remember the last time we carried over this kind of extra cap money into the next year. Especially with this being Brees's last year under contract, you'd think they're planning to get as many assets as possible with the cap money we've got left this year.
As long as they keep stocking up on quality assets like Mc Coy, I'm good with it.

I don't see them pulling it off. The Falcons are already over the salary cap. Money-wise, they are worse off than the Vikings.

Now this is the time to be aggressive, not passive.

Exactly. If the front office feels like McCoy is a good fit schematically then they need to bring him in. I understand that you don't want to overpay for vets on the wrong side of 30 but McCoy could be a difference maker.

They went hard after Suh last offseason and Suh is even older than McCoy. If you compare their stats over the past three years, the difference in pass rush production is a little surprising.

'16 - McCoy 7 Sacks, 14 QB Hits - Suh 5 Sacks, 17 QB Hits

'17- McCoy 6 Sacks, 24 QB Hits - Suh 4.5 Sacks, 12 QB Hits

'18 - McCoy 6 Sacks, 21 QB Hits - Suh 4.5 Sacks, 19 QB Hits

Now I know that stats don't tell the whole story, especially when it comes to rushing the passer, but McCoy has been pretty consistent. With the talent surrounding him in New Orleans I think 6 Sacks would be his floor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom