Bucs release Gerald McCoy (1 Viewer)

Maybe he doesn't give all that much of a crap about playing the Bucs? Heinous though it might be to challenge the narrative..

Ha! Yeah, I think the more likely reason to stay in the division would be because you know the tendencies of your opponent for at least six games every year.

I think the "revenge" factor is played up a bit too much. But the ability to play against known opponents, schemes, buildings, etc is a big draw for a lot of players.

This will play out like it always does.

We all want a player and then there's word that the Saints are interested in said player.

We get excited and start daydreaming about the possibilities.

News comes out that the player is down to two teams, the Saints and another team.

We grow even more excited.

The player comes in for a visit.

We start losing our minds and start talking about the Super Bowl.

The player then signs with another team.

We say we dodged a bullet because the player was too expensive (and/or old) anyway.

But inside, we're broken.
It feels like when we do make the signing, it’s before we ever knew the guy was in town.

^So is that a sign that the Saints are ineffective in free agency, or does it mean the Saints are successful in free agency because they're in the running with teams willing to overpay?

FWIW Suh and Graham underperformed and Wiklerson got hurt after 3 games after making 5 tackles

I'd say it's a testament to our front office that we're even in the discussion for these guys considering we're probably offering much less most of the time. That and having a HOF QB and Super Bowl caliber roster.

If a player wants to chase the money then they're not coming to NOLA. If a player wants to chase rings, they're going to New England. If they want to contend for a title but finish the season with bizarre, soul crushing losses, they're going to the Saints.

Ha! Yeah, I think the more likely reason to stay in the division would be because you know the tendencies of your opponent for at least six games every year.

I think the "revenge" factor is played up a bit too much. But the ability to play against known opponents, schemes, buildings, etc is a big draw for a lot of players.
As well argued as that is, how often has any player ever revealed that as a reason to choose a particular team? I'd say very rarely, if ever?

Most likely factors:-
Money
Chance to win
Team fit

Training partners, revenge and opponent familiarity aren't up there.

Yeah, but Saints can pay him, are close to his hometown and current team, they give him the best chance to win and are an amazing fit where he can start.

AND he trains with Drew, gets revenge and will know his opponent.

Yeah, but Saints can pay him, are close to his hometown and current team, they give him the best chance to win and are an amazing fit where he can start.

AND he trains with Drew, gets revenge and will know his opponent.
Well played, but I don't think we're talking the same amounts of money.

As well argued as that is, how often has any player ever revealed that as a reason to choose a particular team? I'd say very rarely, if ever?

Money
Chance to win
Team fit

I could see "training partners" and "friends" playing a part, maybe even being the deciding factor for a star player on the back-side of his career. It would be right up there with "Chance to win".

But in the end, it always comes down to money. Always.

I could see "training partners" and "friends" playing a part, maybe even being the deciding factor for a star player on the back-side of his career. It would be right up there with "Chance to win".

But in the end, it always comes down to money. Always.
A very small part. As you say, money is king. I nearly put it as the first three entries in that list.

I think those other factors have been far over stated, it's like the cheating husband convincing himself why his wife should be only too grateful to take him back. You make any argument to suit the result you want and declare it to be watertight.

This is the move we’ve been waiting for! Lock up Cam long term & ask Drew to get on the horn to try & convince his good friend Mccoy to come to NO on a team friendly deal.

Soo, “ Make it happen ......Drew?” ?

Seriously tho, if we can sign him, I’m in! We’ll be going into this season without our 3 top DTs from last year: Rankins, Davison, and DO ( likely suspension early on). I like what we’ve done in the offseason to address this, in signing Edwards n Brown. But man, you add McCoy to the mix, along with an improved Davenport at DE, and this D line becomes scary good!

I brought it up because I can remember over the years reading dozens of media reports about players giving significant weight to the fact that the team they signed with was in the same division as the team that disrespected them.

Maybe he doesn't give all that much of a crap about playing the Bucs? Heinous though it might be to challenge the narrative..

Maybe he doesn’t, but the added incentive to stick it to your former team is very real. Ask Richard Sherman, or Brett Favre, or DeSean Jackson when he went to Washington.

I don’t have the data to prove it...but it just seems that more often than not, teams end up regretting these big free agent signings and look to get out of the deals. I’d rather keep investing in youth. Our turn around seems fueled by really good drafting (for the most part) in recent times.
Well, the only Super Bowl that we ever won, was led by a bunch of veterans that were casted away by their former teams. SP said so himself. The youth movement is great......and we have a good amounts of yoots (my cousin Vinny reference), but they don’t carry a chip like a shunned veteran with gas left in the tank

And don’t forget that McCoy works out with Drew every offseason. If Drew feels like he can still play, then expect us to go hard after him a la Darren Sproles.

Money
Chance to win
Team fit

Don't think anyone argued that money and location wouldn't be more important factors.

In this case, location of NO is closer to home (either OKC or Florida) than the other potential suitors that have been listed. Cowboys aren't interested and no Florida teams have been mentioned.

if some other team offers a ton more money, of course he takes it. Who wouldn't? But all anyone is saying here is that we have every other factor in our favor if money is close to equal and/or we're willing to come close to matching what, say, a Cleveland would.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom