Bud products (1 Viewer)

Most microbrews are brewed by the big boys, so chances are they are manipulating your favorite beers already.

Not to be stereotypical, but most (if not all) Asian beers are made with rice. Bud is the only one in America that I know of.

Most microbrews are brewed by the big boys, so chances are they are manipulating your favorite beers already.

Not to be stereotypical, but most (if not all) Asian beers are made with rice. Bud is the only one in America that I know of.

Most microbrews are NOT owned by larger breweries. If they are intermediate-sized breweries such as Blue Moon, etc., the odds are fair that they have been, or will be gobbled up by the huge conglomerates that do not care about quality (Molson-Coors, InBev/Anheuser Busch, SAB Miller). But the tiny breweries that are present in most small cities are too small to be "on the radar" of the huge conglomerates. In most towns of over 20,000 in Montana, I can walk into the local brewery and talk to the owner (who is usually the brewer, too). I can see the beer made in front of me, and know what is going into it and who made it, and even make suggestions for changes or new brews.

Most northwestern states are like this, but I realize that it varies with the state and local laws. Supporting Abita or your local microbrew at least keeps your local business operating, and the money doesn't go to shareholders, St. Louis unions, or AB's headquarters in Belgium.

http://beeradvocate.com is a great web site to follow brewing/beers news and events.

I'd say it is more accurate to say most beers that you know of that hold themselves out to be microbrews are in fact brewed by the big boys.

True microbrews, by general definition, cannot be brewed by the big boys. Granted, that doesn't stop them from trying to convince you otherwise.

I usually just stick with Abita or Lazy Magnolia, but there are a lot of options that are better than the beers we drank in high school.

I drink a lot of different beer. And I really enjoy many types of craft beers.

But a nice American lager (Coors light for me) sure is nice sometimes. It has a place. I'm not sure why people are so snoobish about it. Personally I hate Brown ales, finding them bland and listless, and Lazy Magnolia is pretty mediocre in all it's iterations I've had, so if we want to get into a beer snob battle, I can snuff my nose just as easily at your beers.

We have 5 microbreweries in this area and I like to support them all :beerchug:

I also keep Miller Lite or Natural Light in the garage fridge for post-run and yard work beers. I spent Saturday with a chainsaw, so the Light/Lite was just fine.

I agree with this.

I get real pleasure in blowing through a 12 pack of coors over the course of an NFL sunday. If I tried that with Sierra Nevada Torpedo I'd be passed out by 3 o'clock on the 5th beer.

Most microbrews are NOT owned by larger breweries. If they are intermediate-sized breweries such as Blue Moon, etc., the odds are fair that they have been, or will be gobbled up by the huge conglomerates that do not care about quality (Molson-Coors, InBev/Anheuser Busch, SAB Miller). But the tiny breweries that are present in most small cities are too small to be "on the radar" of the huge conglomerates. In most towns of over 20,000 in Montana, I can walk into the local brewery and talk to the owner (who is usually the brewer, too). I can see the beer made in front of me, and know what is going into it and who made it, and even make suggestions for changes or new brews.

Most northwestern states are like this, but I realize that it varies with the state and local laws. Supporting Abita or your local microbrew at least keeps your local business operating, and the money doesn't go to shareholders, St. Louis unions, or AB's headquarters in Belgium.

BeerAdvocate - Respect Beer. is a great web site to follow brewing/beers news and events.

I never said "owned". I said "brewed". Even some microbrews are so micro that they start right off the bat being brewed by a bigger brewery.

I have a microbrew in my hood and I know the owner and have helped brew a batch.

I never said "owned". I said "brewed". Even some microbrews are so micro that they start right off the bat being brewed by a bigger brewery.

I have a microbrew in my hood and I know the owner and have helped brew a batch.

I've never seen a microbrew brewed by a bigger brewery. Some of the larger beer names are made by others (Olympia; or PBR is made by SAB Miller), but all of the microbrews I've seen are made in a small facility by the owner. The big companies don't usually involve themselves in tiny, local breweries, and they certainly want to assist the craft brewers that are taking their business. Maybe things are different where you are, i.e. different state laws.

If you and others like Bud, Miller, etc., good. No one's making fun of you. Just realize that there are lots of darn good local beers that (generally) taste better for the same price and also support the local economy.

One thing we can all agree on...beer is good!

I agree with this.

I get real pleasure in blowing through a 12 pack of coors over the course of an NFL sunday. If I tried that with Sierra Nevada Torpedo I'd be passed out by 3 o'clock on the 5th beer.

Yeah, this. If I'm out at a bar with friends, I love trying the different taps. If I just came in from mowing the lawn, or I'm standing in front of a BBQ pit for 3 hours in the sun, give me a Miller Lite or something.

True - which gets to marketing.
I am sure that if Budweiser produced the same beer but marketed it as a microbrewed pilsner with "long grain Laotian rice" (or something to that effect) then people who normally shun Bud would drink it.
Which means criticism can go both ways. You can criticize people for blindly drinking big corporate massive brewed beer. And you can criticize people for blindly drinking anything marketed as craft brewed.

Since InBev purchased AB brewing, all I've heard is how they have gone cheap with ingredients and now they are being sued for watering down their beer. My question is since I don't drink Bud, has anyone noticed a difference?
No, they were crap before InBev and they're crap now. Bud has always been brewed to a higher gravity and then diluted to the serving strength after fermentation.

This is false. Most micros are not contract brewed by the big boys. A few are but they are the extreme minority.

That's mostly true. Most other US macrobrews use corn as an adjunct instead of rice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom