Buffalo game recap thoughts and impressions (1 Viewer)

Cuozzo67

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Saints escape the "trap" game ... sets up great matchup for next week vs Jets. Brees had "down" game for him, but team still managed to win in a hostile environment.

It's a game of inches ... one of the key plays happened when Edwards overthrew Owens w/the game still 10-7. Owens had beaten double coverage, but the ball was just overthrown. Saints took over after punt ... Bush made a good run, and then Thomas scores TD.

Jauron should have gone for it on 3rd and inches w/7 minutes remaining. Payton much more aggressive ... went for 4th down and inches in 3rd quarter and for 4th and 1 in the 1st quarter. In the 1st quarter, really was the right decision ... too far for FG into the wind.

Jenkins made fine play on special teams, but could have been called for face mask on the key fumble ... look at replay and you'll see the team got a break.

2 personal fouls on Hargrove were bogus ... don't blame him for 2 terrible calls.

Grant and Smith were NOT AWOL today. Ellis continues to show steady improvement.

Interesting that Dunbar was inactive for game ... Mitchell got a lot of playing time when the defense went to 3-4. Casilles was active, but Dunbar not active. Was Dunbar injured or has he fallen out of favor w/coaches?

I didn't see who got beat on the fake field goal ... who was the outside contain man?

Bush's overall play was better ... his productivity in running game showed improvement ... his decisions on punt returns still not good.

Morstead's punt in the 3rd quarter (3 yard-line) was a key play in a game of field position.

Will the Saints have to sign another OT? Any word on Bushrod's injury ... who would be our back-up tackle right now?

Congrats to Lions for betting Washington ... don't have anything against the Redskins players ... but glad to see Daniel S. lose to Detroit.

Lock of the week next week: Washington at home over Tampa Bay. Washington will have so much heat on them this week, they'll beat TB for sure. Bucs look like they'll have 0-5 start.

Root for Cowboys on Monday ... Carolina would drop to 0-3 ... Panthers schedule more favorable later, so every loss now helps.

Seahawks uniforms today really stunk. Remind me of that scene in the Exorcist.

You're probably going to hear alot about the Jets vs. Saints match-up as physical (Jets) vs. finesse (Saints). I don't buy it ... I think the Jets match-up is much for favorable than the Giants game after the bye.

Overall, this is a game a mediocre or below average team loses ... good teams can win games even when they don't necessarily play their best game. Brees was not his best, and special teams still inconsistent... but the team won the game. At the end of the season, win will count just the same as all the others.

Go Saints Go!

Last edited:
Sorry I hate the Panthers but the only way i will ever route for the cowboys is if it is we 17 and we need the to win for us to make the playoffs. Even then it would be hard

Dunbar was listed as questionable for the game with a hamstring injury. So he was just resting today and not in the doghouse.

I thought that Regie looked a little tentative. Almost like He's lost his pop, or like the game is catching up to him speed wise?

Are you serious? Everybody wants him to slow down and hit the hole, to run North and South. He does just that and people still complain. I just do not understand my fellow Saints fans. Have we been snake bit for so long that nothing good can happen without us poor-mouthing some form or facet of it?

Last edited:
Bush's problems on a lot of these PRs are no blocks. He's catching a lot of them with defenders within 5 yards of him and he's never been a guy to just catch it and run straight ahead for 5 yards. He's going to try and make something happen no matter what on PRs. Our blocking on KRs is quite similar in that neither unit is very adept at opening holes.

Yeah, hard to blame Vilma there. Either you let the punter pick up the 1st uncontested or you pressure him and make him make a good throw AND force a DE to catch a pass. IMO Vilma made the right call; credit the Bills for the call and the execution.

Bush's problems on a lot of these PRs are no blocks. He's catching a lot of them with defenders within 5 yards of him and he's never been a guy to just catch it and run straight ahead for 5 yards. He's going to try and make something happen no matter what on PRs. Our blocking on KRs is quite similar in that neither unit is very adept at opening holes.

The blocking has been awful. I'd see 2-3 defenders with Saints jerseys around.

I still can't believe that that was actually a touchdown. One of the replays they showed looked like the receiver stepped on the line just after obtaining possession of the ball. I was jumping around the room wanting a better replay, but if Payton didn't deem it challenge-worthy, I wasn't going to argue with him.

I'm not sure I'd look at this game and say that Brees/Saints passing O was stopped by the Bills and/or ineffective on their own.

Seems like they game-planned to play in the rain. It happened to not rain but the game plan was still working so they stuck with it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom