Buford Jordan (1 Viewer)

nursemo

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
With Buford Jordan so excited had to start a thread and they played choppa to start t9E7FC95F-8B95-40EA-B514-1B3B19D60F32.jpeg0A0202EA-BC3C-4418-BFC4-E3113E72ED2B.jpeg

Attachments

• 09CEFA0C-C9D6-4A6B-B140-33B253E2E231.jpeg
    09CEFA0C-C9D6-4A6B-B140-33B253E2E231.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 2DEB7E21-DE7D-4AC9-8F6F-D2A7593B32E3.jpeg
    2DEB7E21-DE7D-4AC9-8F6F-D2A7593B32E3.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 5
I had his signature on a yellow napkin when I was little. I put it in a sandwich bag to protect it and would take it out to examine it for a few seconds at a time LOL. He was one of my favorites.

See Buford all the time on weekends playing golf. Loves to chat. Super nice guy.

There is a video of him on You Tube of him being a guest on a local sports show dating back in the mid 90s having a little verbal altercation with Jim Mora discussing the lack of tackling in his team. Mora called in the show and did not let those two off the hook. I am huge fan of Jim Mora. He isn't going to back down from anyone. But what's funny in that clip was Buford referring to the coach as "Jim" instead of coach, like he never played with the coach before.

Buford was always the first Saint out of the locker room for pregame warmups. He jogged the length of the field each way, then went over to where Charlie's Saints Marching Club sponsored handicapped kids at the game. He had two arms full of sweatbands that he gave to the kids, signed autographs, and took pictures with those kids before any other player was on the field.
A real man who knew he was playing a boy's game. Gotta love BUUUFFF even if he's from Ryan St. High.

Buford was always the first Saint out of the locker room for pregame warmups. He jogged the length of the field each way, then went over to where Charlie's Saints Marching Club sponsored handicapped kids at the game. He had two arms full of sweatbands that he gave to the kids, signed autographs, and took pictures with those kids before any other player was on the field.
A real man who knew he was playing a boy's game. Gotta love BUUUFFF even if he's from Ryan St. High.
I started a thread awhile back asking whatever happened to that guy. He used to always hold up a sign that said Defense. Is he still in the same section, or does he still attend any games?

I started a thread awhile back asking whatever happened to that guy. He used to always hold up a sign that said Defense. Is he still in the same section, or does he still attend any games?
After reading this article: https://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/01/post_126.html
I found out who he is:
Steve Slumber will be in the Superdome on Sunday. He doesn't know whether he'll be allowed to play his tambourine (that might be against NFL rules) but he will be sitting close to Terry Crapanzano, better known as "D-Fence," the man who introduced the name, and the wooden sign, to the game. "D-Fence was very innovative," Slumber said. "When the Saints were setting turnover records, he was bringing apple turnovers to the games and passing them out. Sometimes, after a game with bad officiating, he'd show up in a referee's striped shirt, sunglasses and a cane, Ray Charles style."
I don't know if he still attends games, or not, but if he does, i'm sure he will come back to the dome with his referee suit and let the officials have it.

There is a video of him on You Tube of him being a guest on a local sports show dating back in the mid 90s having a little verbal altercation with Jim Mora discussing the lack of tackling in his team. Mora called in the show and did not let those two off the hook. I am huge fan of Jim Mora. He isn't going to back down from anyone. But what's funny in that clip was Buford referring to the coach as "Jim" instead of coach, like he never played with the coach before.

I can't stand Jim Mora, there is a reason the guy never won a playoff game, the guy had one of the best defenses of all time for a few years....he was a terrible X and O's on the field coach...never understood playoff mentality football (way too conservative, refused to take chances)...He is far from perfect but I thank god for SP every year....he is like the anti-Mora...

No disrespect intended....

Ryan St. High?? What's that?

Edit/ Never mind I assume you're referring to McNeese State I'm kind of slow this morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Last edited:
I can't stand Jim Mora, there is a reason the guy never won a playoff game, the guy had one of the best defenses of all time for a few years....he was a terrible X and O's on the field coach...never understood playoff mentality football (way too conservative, refused to take chances)...He is far from perfect but I thank god for SP every year....he is like the anti-Mora...

My father feels the same way

Hate him or not, he brought us respectability for most of his time there. I just like his no nonsense approach.

If they are both grown men and the football days are over, makes sense he wouldnt be addressing Mora as "coach".

If they are both grown men and the football days are over, makes sense he wouldnt be addressing Mora as "coach".
I have never heard till this day when a former player does any interview of any coaches, they often refer to the coach being interviewed as "coach".

Bufford Jordan (or "Munchie" to those who knew him from his high school days) went to Iota High School with my older brothers and sister. He had a brother and sister around the same age as him and they were friends with my two older brothers and my sister. Actually, it was Simon, his brother, who knew me a little better. Simon also played for McNeese and was on track to turn pro until he got into an accident. :cry:

Munchie has always been a real cool guy. When he was in the USFL, he'd still go to some of the high school games and even rode my dad's bus to one of those away games. Even after he made it on the Saints, he was playing a charity basketball game in Patterson (Dalton went to high school there as did my wife -- we happened to be in town and caught the game). I went up to him after the game thinking he wouldn't remember me because I was almost a decade younger than him and it had been probably 5 or 6 years since I'd seen him in person. I called out "Munchie" and he turned and smiled... called me by name and asked about my brothers and sisters by name. Always a down to earth kind of guy who never forgot were he came from. One of my favorite Saints of all time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom