Build through the draft (1 Viewer)

Troll Hunter

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I've mentioned it here before that I listen to a lot of NFL Radio online through Sirius b/c I am in Seoul, Korea. I hear a lot of good information and here is just one topic that I thought I would share.

I cannot remember who it was, but it was either an Analyst, GM or Coach that was being interviewed and they said that teams now have to build through the draft. The reason is the increasing salary cap enabling teams to hang onto their players leaving less FAs available to move on to other teams. There are a couple teams that have caught on and are successful, Colts and Pats were listed as teams that have caught on. Colts b/c pretty much their entire team was built through the draft and the Pats b/c they build through the draft and then only bring in a few players here and there through Free Agency, but they do not break the bank and they let players go right before their production goes down, but still when they have value. They make good business decisions.

IMO, SP is taking on this strategy although it might not be as noticable since he's only got two years into the organization.

1. He got rid of any questionable character guys, or guys that didn't "Buy-in" to his system.
2. He had a great 2006 draft with players that will be on the team for years to come.

Last years draft didn't go as planned, but we can't write it off just yet. A caller from La called into one of the shows today and asked why we drafted Meachem. The comentators without hesitation stated that he is a wonderful talent and was the smoothest WRs in the draft. He got injured, but the Saints knew this and elected to take him anyway b/c of his upside. He then came in overweight and got injured again. They said that b/c of the depth at WR we have that there was no need to rush Meachem on the field. So Meachem should be a big part of the plans for 2008.

Alleman and Bushrod were drafted to develop into NFL lineman. There was no rush to get them on the field this year so they got a year to develop. This is building for the future.

Usama Young is another player they mentioned. They stated that he was one of the fastest playes coming out last year and that it is just a matter of time that he contributes. IMO, he will be a bright spot in out defensive backfield for many years to come starting with the 2008 season.

So if out of two years of drafts we have 10 players on the roster then that is pretty good. Yes there was some misses with Antonio Pittman and we didn't keep David Jones, but that is what the draft is about. You don't know exactly what you have until you bring them in. PT for example. He makes up for the AP pick.

Bringing in the 2nd tier FAs or older guys makes sense b/c you are not going to break the bank on them and they can mentor younger players. Zach Thomas or Dan Morgan would be good b/c we probably will draft at least 1 LBer and he will be able to learn behind these guys or if he excels and gets on the field in his RC season he can still learn from these older vets. Simmons and MS aren't on the same level that Morgan and Thomas are so drawing those comparions won't work.

JD was probably a mistake, but he isn't going anywhere so getting a pass rush might cover up some of his lacking coverage skills.

Those are some random thoughts, feel free to tear them up. I am just passing on some info I've heard and added my opinions.

As much as I like building through the draft, you have to fill in holes through FA aswell. A huge part of success can be contributed to leadership. A rookie doesn't possess this, not yet.

If I was the GM I would bring in experienced FAs who know their postion from head to toe. I would then draft a player of the FAs position in a later round. The rookie can then be groomed by the coaches and the FA pick up.

e.g

Zach Thomas - 2nd/3rd round ILB

Rod Coleman - 2nd/3rd.4th round DT

Aaron Glenn - 1st/3rd round CB

We could then bring in some other FAs to teach our other young players like Harper, Bullocks, Young and Meachem (David Patten is old, not a mentor).

I think we've done a good job with the draft during the Peyton era. Evans, Strief, Alleman, and Bushrod are going to make up a very good o-line one of these days. My biggest problem concerns Meachem. I can't recall the last time a first round WR was inactive his entire rookie season when he wasn't injured. The staff had lots of opportunities to inactivate Henderson and activate Meachem and let him get some playing time. He couldn't have been any worse, and might not have had as many drops. I don't think I'll ever understand that.

I don't think the Pittman pick was as much a miss as it was PT showing he was just the better player for the NFL.

As much as I like building through the draft, you have to fill in holes through FA aswell. A huge part of success can be contributed to leadership. A rookie doesn't possess this, not yet.

If I was the GM I would bring in experienced FAs who know their postion from head to toe. I would then draft a player of the FAs position in a later round. The rookie can then be groomed by the coaches and the FA pick up.

e.g

We could then bring in some other FAs to teach our other young players like Harper, Bullocks, Young and Meachem (David Patten is old, not a mentor).

I disagree with your statement that Patten is not a mentor. He spent a lot of time last year working with Colston on his route-running from what we'd heard...

I disagree with your statement that Patten is not a mentor. He spent a lot of time last year working with Colston on his route-running from what we'd heard...

Maybe he did so. What did he do to help Lance, DH and Terrance Copper? If the only player he helped was our best WR, he didn't acheive much.

e.g

I couldn't disagree more. He has helped Colston A LOT on his route running skills, tried to help Devery, and he helped Meachem and Lance Moore from what I've heard, as well

but @ the OP, you can't strictly build through the draft, you need some impact players who can come in gaurenteed and make a difference, and draft for the future and let the older players lead, guide, and mentor the others.

Last edited:
I couldn't disagree more. He has helped Colston A LOT on his route running skills, tried to help Devery, and he helped Meachem and Lance Moore from what I've heard, as well

but @ the OP, you can't strictly build through the draft, you need some impact players who can come in gaurenteed and make a difference, and draft for the future and let the older players lead, guide, and mentor the others.[/QUOTE]

You might want to tell the Colts that, 22 starters all drafted or signed as UDFAs by the Colts.

I didn't say that you strickly have to build throught he draft, but you need to build most of your team through the draft and when you can insert a FA here an there that makes you team better then you do that, but you don't have to break the bank just to get the hot name on the market.

Last edited:
I always thought building through the Draft was smart, and ofcourse grabbing what ever good veteran you can in free agency, but I would never rely on free agency to build up my team.

does anyone actually have any proof that patten helped out our wr corps? all ive been seeing is people put together the fact that he was on NE superbowl squad and hes older, that automatically makes him a genius in the teaching department.

BTW, I'm listening to NFL Radio right now and the guys said that some NFL GMs consider this years FAs plan B b/c the teams are locking up their players.

They are also saying the Zach Thomas would be a good fit for us.

does anyone actually have any proof that patten helped out our wr corps? all ive been seeing is people put together the fact that he was on NE superbowl squad and hes older, that automatically makes him a genius in the teaching department.

There was a quote somewhere about him helping Patten through that dry spell early in the year. I remember hearing about it on here.

unless you have a link, thats all hearsay which happens alot on this board lately.

some guy says it, then someone transfers it over to another thread and then all of a sudden its real.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom