Building a gaming pc? (1 Viewer)

From what I've seen these new cards are big leap but I've usually made a habit of staying about one generation behind on hardware, especially in the last few years. Developers have gotten a lot better about optimization. I've also heard about poor and inconsistent build quality between manufacturers with the latest GPUs so I'm extra hesitant. But I'm also more than happy with my current setup.
If you're buying now, hold out for the new GPU's. Zardnok is right. The new equipment prices are lower and the performance is higher. The differences are substantial.

AMD CPU's made a jump in performance as well. And since it's difficult to find last year's equipment at msrp you night as well wait for that.

I just watched a video where AMD claimed restocking in about two weeks. Hopefully, the bots don't buy everything.

I has started building a new system a while ago but I stopped at the motherboard and memory when I heard about the price per performance differences. You can fit a lot more performance into the same budget with this year's stuff.

I've been sitting on a x570 motherboard and 16GB of 4000mhz ddr4 for months. I'm going to keep waiting.

If you're buying now, hold out for the new GPU's. Zardnok is right. The new equipment prices are lower and the performance is higher. The differences are substantial.

AMD CPU's made a jump in performance as well. And since it's difficult to find last year's equipment at msrp you night as well wait for that.

I just watched a video where AMD claimed restocking in about two weeks. Hopefully, the bots don't buy everything.

I has started building a new system a while ago but I stopped at the motherboard and memory when I heard about the price per performance differences. You can fit a lot more performance into the same budget with this year's stuff.

I've been sitting on a x570 motherboard and 16GB of 4000mhz ddr4 for months. I'm going to keep waiting.

Oh I'm several years out from a new build myself. I was rocking a 750Ti till this year when my PSU died and I decided to splurge on a "new" GPU and got the RX570. I haven't spent more than $150 on a GPU since I bought a 9800GT Pro back in 2004(?)

Oh I'm several years out from a new build myself. I was rocking a 750Ti till this year when my PSU died and I decided to splurge on a "new" GPU and got the RX570. I haven't spent more than $150 on a GPU since I bought a 9800GT Pro back in 2004(?)
The 570 is a good GPU.

The 570 is a good GPU.

I have zero complaints other than AMD's Radeon Software being kinda buggy. The nVidia equivalent was the 1650 I believe but it was $100 more for similar performance but lower power draw. And so far it hasn't blinked at anything I've thrown at it. My only "concern" (and I really don't know how true it still is) is how AMD cards play with AutoCAD for 3D modeling versus nVidia but I haven't bothered to test it out.

How long does it take the prices to level come down.
I'm looking to replace my my current PC. It's an i7 4470 with GTX 1050 ti. So it's not totally lame but it's old. I just retired so I want to get something that will keep up with the new games that are going to start using the new technology.

I'm really not very tech savvy. (At all) So I'll probably be looking at pre-built.

FYI, various stock trackers are showing Nvidia 3060Ti and AMD 5600X as "In stock-Waiting" at Bestbuy, which is supposed to mean they have them in house, but are currently adding them to the website. So those folks trying for new parts, my advice is to furiously hit refresh on BestBuy website and hope to get lucky.

How long does it take the prices to level come down.
I'm looking to replace my my current PC. It's an i7 4470 with GTX 1050 ti. So it's not totally lame but it's old. I just retired so I want to get something that will keep up with the new games that are going to start using the new technology.

I'm really not very tech savvy. (At all) So I'll probably be looking at pre-built.
As an FYI, there are a number of new cards expected in January, so I would definitely wait if you can. As far as Pre-Built, be careful who you select to deal with. Not all pre-builts are the same, many skimp on some of the most important parts, like graphics card and power supply. Definitely watch some Youtube reviews of various pre-builts and you should at least get an idea of reliable brands. Also expect to pay more for reliable brands.

As an FYI, there are a number of new cards expected in January, so I would definitely wait if you can. As far as Pre-Built, be careful who you select to deal with. Not all pre-builts are the same, many skimp on some of the most important parts, like graphics card and power supply. Definitely watch some Youtube reviews of various pre-builts and you should at least get an idea of reliable brands. Also expect to pay more for reliable brands.
Good info. Thanks.

Things just got more expensive.

Remember those tariffs that the U.S. levied on Chinese made goods?

Some products were exempt because there isn't a domestic alternative and those products are needed. Those exemptions were scheduled to end so that the next administration could deal with the angry citizens.

Some computer parts are going to skyrocket. It looks like GPU's, power supplies, mouse(s)/mice, trackpads, and "unfinished circuit boards."

New GPU's have gone up $200-$300 overnight. (Which is a larger increase than the tariff)

Last edited:
A lot of good info in this thread.

If you haven't already, you should ask @Denzien for his input.

It's my son's. It's for me.

Gonna hold off for a bit. Haven't been getting much work lately. Hopefully it will pick up in Feb.

But I'll be glad for any suggestions or advice.

It's not my son's. It's for me. (I don't have any kids thankfully)

Gonna hold off for a bit. Haven't been getting much work lately. Hopefully it will pick up in Feb.

But I'll be glad for any suggestions or advice.

So, Trump was planning on losing 2020 and Biden won't change this?
Biden isn't president right now, and I'm sure that it's way down the list of things that need to be addressed.

Middle, and lower, class income taxes are scheduled to increase as well. I'd prefer that he addresses that sooner. Then there's been some unfortunate activity in the Capitol recently. That needs to get sorted out. Four years of executive orders that might need to be repealed.

I'm sure that the tariffs will be addressed in an attempt to normalize trade relations with China but I can't predict how high on the list that is.

So, I didn't want to start a new thread and figured this would be a good place to put this. My son just finished building a new desktop pc and he's selling his gaming laptop. It's about 2 years old. If anyone is interested please pm me.

Model: MSI GE73 Raider

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom