Building a House Ideas (1 Viewer)

Terrence

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
So we are building a new place, from ground up. It is pretty much a custom job and we are able to do almost anything we want, for a price of course. I am looking for great ideas on ANYTHING to do with a house.

Someone mentioned RockWool Insulation, so we are looking into that.

Someone mentioned a Rudd quick recovery hot water system, we are looking into that.

We heard a recommendation for PEX piping, instead of copper.

We have looked at kitchens that use more of a three dimensional storage into cabinets vs. a pantry.

We are looking for any ideas.

my grandparents have a outdoor wood burning furnace that heats the floors and a regular furnace for the house. it saves them a poop load of money on their electric bill and when my grandpa is lazy they just run the regular furnace so their is no real bother with the wood burner

Whatever you do, don't forget recreation. May I humbly suggest:

17643d1234496290-3d-s-m-competition-13-torture-room-torture-chamber-733895.jpg

If I were building from scratch in Louisiana I'd Go solar.
Big tax credits.

Otherwise, siding I'd go with Hardie Plank.
Do Heart Pine floors.
Make your walls 6".
Do High ceilings: 10' or higher.
Build a safe room.

For further clarification, building in the Dallas area....

When remodelling our current home, we added a private patio off the MBR. It is my favorite part of the home. It is planted with fragrant plants like gardenia and confederate jasmine and has a table and chairs. French doors open from the MBR onto the patio and it is a great place to enjoy a morning coffee or evening glass of wine (or three). Opening the french doors let's in the fragrance of the patio plantings.

When remodelling our current home, we added a private patio off the MBR. It is my favorite part of the home. It is planted with fragrant plants like gardenia and confederate jasmine and has a table and chairs. French doors open from the MBR onto the patio and it is a great place to enjoy a morning coffee or evening glass of wine (or three). Opening the french doors let's in the fragrance of the patio plantings.

in keeping with this theme....outdoor patio/kitchen area. If you spend alot of time ooutside, this is a must. My next home will have this. We spend alot of time outside and I wished I had done this from the start. Covered patio area- nice landscape and you will find that its is truly relaxing.

Build a pool enclosed into the home. Perhaps with a retractable cover, but the pool/hot tub/grill outside entertainment area has 4 glass walls each looking into; one side the Great room/living room area, kitchen on the immediate right (also where the grill/outside kitchen area is), in the rear there is a glass wall with curtains and double doors where the master bedroom is (the hot tub is sort of pulled back and only a few feet from the double doors of the master bedroom, Then on the final side, Halls to the guest bedroom ultility room and the garage which has a 2nd floor, and its a large open room that is a combination game/movie room/ wet bar. It would have a small balcony which has a view of the pool.

If I were building from scratch in Louisiana I'd Go solar.
Big tax credits.

Otherwise, siding I'd go with Hardie Plank.
Do Heart Pine floors.
Make your walls 6".
Do High ceilings: 10' or higher.
Build a safe room.
THIS.....
  • The Ole Van(tm) has Hardie Plank siding
  • Wide Plank ( 10"- 18") Pine floors - Google - Carlisle floors
  • I agree with the high ceilings ( the ole van has 12') - remember the Hunter Ceiling fans.
  • The kitchen is the heart of the house....make it as big and efficient as possible. Remember the "Triangle" between the Sink,stove and refrigerator.

I've installed many a foot of copper pipe over the years but in my extreme limited experience of the PEX stuff I wasn't that impressed. Zurn is even tied up in a Class Action Law Suit over their PEX brass fittings failing. From my own experience I wouldn't trust anything Zurn manufactures.

There was even a similar product produced like 30 years ago that was taken off the market due to the crimp rings failing. I worked on an Apartment Complex that had to be gutted that the stuff was used in.

Roll down storm shutters. If a hurricane is near and we leave the area, we role them down. easy, not discracting from the overall look of the house and cheaper insurance. NO holes in your house... hammering plywood to your window frames looks like crap and may cause wood rot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom