Building through the Draft (2 Viewers)

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think the Packers are a prime example of a team who has built a championship caliber team through the Draft, Farve was upset that GM Thompson didn't go after Moss last season and its been known the Thompson likes to build his team up through draft picks.

I'm personally a fan of this because you get to build these guys up and pick the the best guys who fit your system and you get to reap the benefits, as to FA were you pay a guy basically for how he played for someone else hoping you get the same production and its usually a good way to improve your team, but that's usually if you have the money to get that top 1 or 2 guys who become available and with Teams Franchising and Tendering these guys, u can't really depend on FA, its gotten so bad that people are giving up 3rd, 4th round picks to sign these tendered guys, when that could be used on a Draft pick.

Again I don't think you build a team with free agent pickups, you can plug a hole or two but for the long haul, you gotta go with the Draft.

4th for david , 7th for shanle , 6th for simoneau 5th for brian scott. 2nd round swap for faine ....

they are more xperienced , i will do it again !!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111

/sarcasm off

The only good one you listed was Faine, and were back in FA still trying to fill those spots.....Sarcasm On.

Free agents are usually a short-term fix where draft picks are supposed to be long-term fixes. Building through the draft is definitely the route to go.

A team would be stupid to give up a 4th for david

but we could work out a deal that we get a free taco & and 32 oz drink at taco bell for him

I'd make that deal

This is what noone wants to hear. Everyone wants to sign 20 FA's this offseason to try and win now. The fact is that we won't become an elite team until we build a defense through the draft. Its going to take another year or two minimum. We have almost all our offense (minus some on the O-line who are expendable anyway) locked up longterm or soon to be. So our window is very large to win (at least 5 years). So its time to bite the bullet and do it right. We may never have an offense like this again.

I disagree that it will take 1-2 years minimum. The NFL is just a rollercoaster of a league and teams fluctuate up and down from one year to the next. Last year the Titans were ranked 32nd in defensive ypg, this year they are 5th. The Buccaneers went from 17th to 2nd. The Colts from 21st, to 3rd. It's not uncommon for a team to make a huge jump from one year to the next. I truly believe with a few key additions in free agency and the draft this year that our defense can be pretty respectable. Top 10-15 defense is really all we need to stay competitive for a conference championship, especially in the weak NFC. Even then, it's not totally necessary for a team to have a great defense in order to win a conference championship, as evidenced by the '06 Colts (21st), '05 Seahawks (16th), the '01 Patriots (24th(!!!)), and the '02 Raiders (11th). I believe that our offense is good enough to carry a top 10-15 defense to a championship.

4th for david , 7th for shanle , 6th for simoneau 5th for brian scott. 2nd round swap for faine ....

they are more xperienced , i will do it again !!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111

/sarcasm off

These are bandaids. Now we are looking to replace all of these guys. We should have drafted players with these selections. We may not have gone to the NFC Championship last season but it would have been better for our long term stability and growth.

No one has done a better job of building through the draft than the Patriots.

You know... Those guys that signed Randy Moss...

No one has done a better job of building through the draft than the Patriots.

You know... Those guys that signed Randy Moss...

They've also signed Colvin, Adalius, Donte, Seau, Morris, Kyle Brady and Harrison. They aren't afraid of bringing in older vets to compliment and advise younger players, either. Seems they have both free agency and drafting quality players down Pat. :covri:

Last edited:
good long term teams have usually been built through the draft with a small number of FA. The Oakland Raiders use to take everybody's problem children and fit them in....this no longer works.....there are plenty of examples of teams building year after year and this is part of the problem with the Saint's whom have not had consistent winning seasons and looking for short term solutions.With Payton as the coach and Brees as the QB i think the groundwork has been laid to bring in players who want to think long term. to reiterate it took Peyton and the Colt's nine years and two coaching changes to find the right mix....everyone believes now but there were many doubters for many years.....if we keep the core solid the rest will follow.......which means strong drafts year in and year out....i think the FO will rethink their stradegy this year and possibly hire a different scouting group.......JMHO peace

The perfect example of a team built thru the draft would be the Colts... other than Bogger McFarland I can't think of another free agent that's on their team... and Booger could possibly be replaced this year by a guy they drafted.

It is possible for the Saints to build a dynasty thru the draft, but last year's offseason as a whole set us back big time... and I'm not just talking about the draft... although we could have used the 4th round pick we wasted on pittman... and we could have kept David Jones.

We signed a bunch of free agents that didn't help at all... all they did was contributed to our cap situation. We also resigned a few guys that didn't earn their signing bonuses... I won't say any of their names... but we could have locked up Jamall Brown, Will Smith and COlston last offseason and rewarded them for the seasons they had... rather than have to worry about doing it all this offseason.

Hindsight is 20/20 I guess... :shrug:

The Colts have also signed Vinateri and missed on Corey Simon. I was thinking of other FAs such as Saturday and Rhodes, but they weren't drafted. Harper came from Canada. I can agree that the Colts rarely delve into the FA market to make the big splash additions of the recent Pats. I understand the Pats' angle, though. Missing a piece? Go get one, and age be damned. They'll deal with replacing that player when he falls apart. I'm sure the Pats will look to secure some fresh talent at LB during the draft. Watching that unit against the Giants and Jags made me aware that it's been a long season for those fellas. I hope they can go out in grand fashion.

BTW: If the Colts don't want a healthy Booger, then I'd take him. The Saints could then draft a CB and LB and hope our their two picks pan out. I think NO can have a good blend of FAs and picks. Wasn't Brees a big money FA? I'm confident that Briggs or Samuel would do just as well. Quality over quantity....

Last edited:
I disagree that it will take 1-2 years minimum. The NFL is just a rollercoaster of a league and teams fluctuate up and down from one year to the next. Last year the Titans were ranked 32nd in defensive ypg, this year they are 5th. The Buccaneers went from 17th to 2nd. The Colts from 21st, to 3rd. It's not uncommon for a team to make a huge jump from one year to the next. I truly believe with a few key additions in free agency and the draft this year that our defense can be pretty respectable. Top 10-15 defense is really all we need to stay competitive for a conference championship, especially in the weak NFC. Even then, it's not totally necessary for a team to have a great defense in order to win a conference championship, as evidenced by the '06 Colts (21st), '05 Seahawks (16th), the '01 Patriots (24th(!!!)), and the '02 Raiders (11th). I believe that our offense is good enough to carry a top 10-15 defense to a championship.

True, statistical jumps can be made from year to year, but it doesn't happen as overnight as it may appear. The Colts, Titans, etc were probably bad on defense while their new guys got aclimated to the system. So they hovered around 21 or so until their draft picks were ready to contribute and then they jump into the top 5.

Having said that, if we make the right moves this off-season then it is entirely possible that we can field a respectable defense for next season. But a really good defense is going to take time and an investment in the draft.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom