Building through the Draft (1 Viewer)

The Patriots built their team through both the draft and free agency. 'Nuff said.
Well, they have done it he right way. Most of their team has been acquired through the draft. This leaves you with young talent that can eventually work their way into the starting roles to replace the aging talent as they get to the end of their early contracts and start to command more money. This leaves cap space to gfo out and grab a few free agents to fill in holes or simply add more ammo to an already deep team.

Pittsburgh is another team who drafts really well. In fact, I have always felt they were the best at it. I don't know how I forgot them at the beginning of this thread. It seems like they let a big name free agent go every year and some no-name rookie or second year player steps right in and they don't miss a beat. When that player comes of age and commands a huge salary, they find another young, cheap player to fill the hole created by his release, etc.

The Rooney's have perfected it, really, They rarely miss on the first day's picks and you almost never hear of any players with character issues. They should be emulated more...

It's a combination of the draft and FA. Bigger still is simply picking the right players in both. Talent evaluation and fitting them into what your scheme is set up to do.

I think the Packers are a prime example of a team who has built a championship caliber team through the Draft, Farve was upset that GM Thompson didn't go after Moss last season and its been known the Thompson likes to build his team up through draft picks.

I'm personally a fan of this because you get to build these guys up and pick the the best guys who fit your system and you get to reap the benefits, as to FA were you pay a guy basically for how he played for someone else hoping you get the same production and its usually a good way to improve your team, but that's usually if you have the money to get that top 1 or 2 guys who become available and with Teams Franchising and Tendering these guys, u can't really depend on FA, its gotten so bad that people are giving up 3rd, 4th round picks to sign these tendered guys, when that could be used on a Draft pick.

Again I don't think you build a team with free agent pickups, you can plug a hole or two but for the long haul, you gotta go with the Draft.

After one season with the Falcons, Favre was traded to the Green Bay Packers on February 10, 1992 for a first-round draft pick.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre

4th for david , 7th for shanle , 6th for simoneau 5th for brian scott. 2nd round swap for faine ....

they are more xperienced , i will do it again !!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111

/sarcasm off

We didn't trade a 6th round pick for Simoneau or a 5th round pick for Bryan Scott.

It's a combination of the draft and FA. Bigger still is simply picking the right players in both. Talent evaluation and fitting them into what your scheme is set up to do.

First, you need a scheme. We've got one on offense, not so sure the defense has an identity to build around.

No one has done a better job of building through the draft than the Patriots.

You know... Those guys that signed Randy Moss...

and stallworth and welker and etc. etc. etc.

i've said it once and i'll say it again....they PROPER way to build a GREAT team is to EVALUATE talent correctly and choose players that best fit your system! It doesn't matter if that's through FA or the draft... their are examples in both cases!!!! the honest truth of it is that you have to be good at BOTH. but mainly the evaluation of the talent is key!!

A lot depends on which position you need. If you need a QB, you get a Drew Brees in free agency. That same holds for cornerback. If you need a starting cornerback, a draft choice is unlikely to help very much. Most other positions can be filled with draft choices if the fromt office is competent.

The Packers only have 25 players on their current roster that they drafted. Everyone else was acquired through free agency or via a trade.

May I remind everyone that the Saints do indeed were trying to build a defense through the draft! Until last season that is, when they decided to bring in FAs.....but I distinctively remember drafting great prospects......like J Sullivan, Sedrick Hodge, and Allen, and Cie Grant and Bullocks....and C Boockwoldt (sp)....yeah...great prospects indeed.

OK...no more funny stuff......they finally realized that they suck evaluating talent, so they switched to the FA.......now they're making a killing in FA with the likes of Simoneau, Shanle, JD, Simmons & KK!

boo-ya......LMAO

I wouldn't call Simoneau and Shanle a killing in FA. I think that if we try to bring in impact players in FA instead of just patching holes we can build through FA and Draft. But if we just patch holes that won't build the good defense we need.

People forget how bad we were at MLB before Simoneau was signed. He improved the position 110% easily. That's how bad it was and what's more, we were a week or two from starting the NFL season.

People forget how bad we were at MLB before Simoneau was signed. He improved the position 110% easily. That's how bad it was and what's more, we were a week or two from starting the NFL season.

Beyond which, Simoneau was a toss in to the Stallworth trade (we got a 4th rounder-that-could-become-a-3rd rounder and Simoneau). We had originally planned to go into the season with Tommy Polley, Anthony Simmons, and Scott Fujita. But Simmons lost his heart to play and Polley had what has essentially become a career ending injury. Plus our #4 LB was James Allen who also had, essentially, a career ending injury.

So we basically gave up a 7th rounder for Shanle and Simoneau.

Now whatever you think about Shanle and Simoneau as our starters for the future, they've easily been worth a measily 7th round pick.

Simoneau is worth that for the locker room presence alone, not to mention he's like having a coach on the field. Too bad the guy can't shed a block.

Simoneau is the next Del Rio...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom