building your own pc/rant/vent (1 Viewer)

Yes, I am venting. My motherboard went out on my current pc. It was already outdated anyways, and I needed a bigger HD too. I am looking into buying a new pc verses building it myself or rebuilding it.

I am ranting because my husband's friend keeps questioning why I want a lot of ram, or a decent graphics card (on the motherboard is fine, nothing seperate) or a quad processor. ( I secretly think he doesn't want to see a woman with that powerful of a pc or maybe just doesn't want me to have one better than his)

I work a lot with graphics making my own. I use Photoshop CS2 and love using all the brushes etc. I also like to watch TV on my computer, and download lots of music, but I constantly burn and delete. My son wants me to teach him how to make and edit videos. I don't game, but I am sure my son would like to a little bit.

I found a PC that has a nice 500 GB HD with a quad processor and 4 GB memory. Which is exactly what I want. This costs $1000.00 after rebates and before tax. I KNOW this could be built for a lot less than that.

Tell me why I don't want a quad processor and just a dual.
Tell me why I shouldn't waste $$ on 4GB of memory.
Don't tell me why I need a smaller HD, because that is not happening. I already have 120 GB of graphics to dump on to my external once I can access my old HD's.

Also would you go with Vista or XP? If so what version.

My motherboard died after 14 months. I paid nearly $250 for it... :p

Ordered a new P35 mobo and will RMA/Sell the old Asus ;P

My motherboard went out on the computer I built myself over 4 years ago. Since it was that old, I had to get all new components. Except for the optical drives - which I may replace with new SATA drives soon anyway. I wanted to rebuilt mine instead of just buying a new one because I did not want that Vista crap. Dell is the only major manufacturer that I can find that will still include XP on some of their computer.

Most business divisions will load XP, but most consumer grade machines will not - certainly nothing you will find off the shelf.

Barring incompatibility with certain apps and if you have the resources to do so, I don't see a lot of reason not to run Vista at this point. Most of the major issues have been fixed, and SP1 should make that considerably better as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom