Bunkley Restructures (1 Viewer)

Wait, I don't get it. Why would we trade the #15th pick with the "understanding" that they would trade it for Ingram?

Why not just say it "we trade Harper and Ingram for the #10th pick?" It'll save you an entire paragraph of typing.

:plus-un2:

:scratch::scratch::scratch:

Is it ok if I interrupt this Harper thread with a question about the Bunkley contract?

Is Bunkley going to count $6M+ against the 2014 cap are is that just going to work itself out next year?

Just hypothetically (because you already explained the foolishness of this), what would be the 2014 cap hit (dead money) if we only plan on keeping Bunkley for 2013?

Dang this thread has been crazy...did I even see a troll thrown in there?

Free agency where art thou

Is Bunkley going to count $6M+ against the 2014 cap are is that just going to work itself out next year?

Yeah, $4.4m base + $900K from his original signing bonus + $750K from the new signing bonus, so just about exactly $6m.

Just hypothetically (because you already explained the foolishness of this), what would be the 2014 cap hit (dead money) if we only plan on keeping Bunkley for 2013?

Either $4.8m hit next season or a $1.6m hit next season + $3.2m in 2015.

Yeah, $4.4m base + $900K from his original signing bonus + $750K from the new signing bonus, so just about exactly $6m.
That sounds bad, but again I am a total novice at this. Should I be concerned?

Depends how well he plays as a 0-tech NT (assuming that's what he plays, he may end up at LDE). He'll probably only be a 2 down player, so that's a knock a guy counting $6m/yr against the cap, but he was elite against the run in his final year with the Broncos. I think they should have made the move with someone else since there's no guarantee that he adjusts to playing in the 3-4. Look at a guy like Aubrayo Franklin. Guy was a fringe elite NT for years with SF, was subpar as a 1tech DT with us, then started playing well again as a NT in SD.

Depends how well he plays as a 0-tech NT (assuming that's what he plays, he may end up at LDE). He'll probably only be a 2 down player, so that's a knock a guy counting $6m/yr against the cap, but he was elite against the run in his final year with the Broncos. I think they should have made the move with someone else since there's no guarantee that he adjusts to playing in the 3-4. Look at a guy like Aubrayo Franklin. Guy was a fringe elite NT for years with SF, was subpar as a 1tech DT with us, then started playing well again as a NT in SD.

We're unlikely to line up a player in the 0-tech often next year from what I understand. He'll be shaded (1-tech)

Ryan made the 290 pound Ratliff work at NT. He'll be able to use Bunkley as well.

"Long term", you're right, but it all but guarantees that they will be here this season. Converting 2013 base salary to a signing bonus and cutting the player (as opposed to cutting them outright) would accomplish nothing but costing the team cap space and Benson money.

That's not possible. Harper's guaranteed money in 2014 is from his prorated signing bonus. He was paid that money when he signed his extension however many years ago. The only way to eliminate Harper's 2014 guaranteed money would be cutting him before June 1st and NOT designating him as a post 6/1 cut.

Harper will be in b&g in 2013 is what I believe.

Harper is owed about $2.5M in guaranteed money which will be covered this season. Next season his salary appears to be non-guaranteed because the guaranteed portions will have been satisfied @ $16M. Can ML find a way to account for the total prorations of $3.5M and $2.5M salary this yr?

-Harper will play this season.
-Harper will be released next offseason
-ML will spread the prorations thru 2014 & 2015 when more cap space is available

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom