Burnout - how do you know for sure? (1 Viewer)

Your therapy can just be what you wrote out here. Good to just write out what you think sometimes when you're feeling overwhelmed. (y)
Sometimes I type up rants here, then delete them before anyone can really see them. It truly, truly helps to just get it out sometimes.

This one nailed it.

Considering Colonel's situation, if it was me, I would ease up on the home improvement. You obviously need your job to pay the bills, but if your home isn't updated to your liking, it will still be livable, as long as everything is in good working order. Why stress yourself out on things you can't handle? Leave the home improvements tasks until you have more time, or when you have the money to have someone else do it.

Remember the tortoise won the race, slow and steady. Next time you have a vacation, take a vacation, and leave the home improvements for another time.

That's what I would do, but everyone's situation is different.

1656431920369.png
The house is only 10 years old and the flooring and paint are all done. Trees are all planted. A hundred other small things are done. There are some areas needing attention, but not immediately. Nothing structural, mostly style of living - like replacing a shower with a shower tub combo. Replacing wire shelving in closets with real shelving and rods. Things like that. My office, in the basement right now, works for me because I can arrange and organize as I please when I please. Bleu Wife doesn't really mean that something needs to be worked on immediately, she is just commenting on stuff she'd like to see done.

The house is only 10 years old and the flooring and paint are all done. Trees are all planted. A hundred other small things are done. There are some areas needing attention, but not immediately. Nothing structural, mostly style of living - like replacing a shower with a shower tub combo. Replacing wire shelving in closets with real shelving and rods. Things like that. My office, in the basement right now, works for me because I can arrange and organize as I please when I please. Bleu Wife doesn't really mean that something needs to be worked on immediately, she is just commenting on stuff she'd like to see done.
OK Honey, write it down and show me in about a year.

Is there a way to limit the scope of work everyone is doing? Also, just stop getting more done than you can handle. Let things slip. As one of my now retired co-workers would say, "fork em, that's why". (he used it for a lot of things).

If not, you bang the drum to hire more people, or find another job. Or if you're able to, retire.

At the very least, you should take some time off. Even if you just unplug for a few days, or a week. Doesn't have to be a trip or anything. But, don't just stick around the house doing chores.
We can only do what we can only do. There is no extra time in the day and some projects are getting left behind or slipping. Management at the level above us knows, it is just a matter of them being able to get something done. I raise my concerns each week in a meeting designed for doing such things.

Unfortunately, I am unable to retire for a number of reasons. That's OK - I don't mind working. I love what I do, as a concept.

But you're right about the time off. As soon as I bring this project to a close I am putting 2 weeks on the schedule. Actually, let me go do that now. I'll get it on the books and fend off any objections.

Sometimes I type up rants here, then delete them before anyone can really see them. It truly, truly helps to just get it out sometimes.
As a wanna-be writer, I appreciate this more than you can imagine.

But you're right about the time off. As soon as I bring this project to a close I am putting 2 weeks on the schedule. Actually, let me go do that now. I'll get it on the books and fend off any objections.
My immediate manager just messaged me, "Two weeks???"

I responded with this...
MisguidedHappygoluckyHornbill-max-1mb.gif

Well, it's two weeks vacation or two weeks notice......

maybe too on the nose. Two weeks vacation or forever. Your call.
We're supposed to have unlimited PTO - within reason. I told him this was totally within reason, especially compared with teams outside of ours.

We're supposed to have unlimited PTO - within reason. I told him this was totally within reason, especially compared with teams outside of ours.
Depending on the relationship you have with your boss, I'd just be honest. You speak up weekly about issues. They aren't being resolved. You feel like you're burning out and you notice it affecting you, but not your work yet. You don't want it to, so you feel like it is in your best interest and the company's to unplug for a while.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom