Burrow and Manning comparison (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The college quarterback Burrow reminds me most of is Peyton Manning. Manning was perhaps a tad bigger but lacked Burrow's mobility. Both were exceptional from the neck up and were terribly accurate. Neither had exceptional arm strength, but both could make every throw an NFL quarterback needs to make.

The biggest difference is that in college Manning was highly productive for several years, not just one. But the second biggest difference was that in college Burrow played his best against the best teams, and Manning did not always play terribly well in the biggest games.

In the last 20 years or so, Manning and Burrow have seemed the most NFL ready of all the college quarterbacks I have seen.

Maybe a less strong Andrew Luck? They have similar mobility levels coming out of college and both have a very pro skill set in the passing game.

My original question was what college quarterback does Burrow compare to--I probably did not make myself clear--not what pro quarterback do you think Burrow in the NFL will play like. The Eli Manning comparison is an interesting one, though Eli was never as dominant as Burrow was this past season.

I have seen the comparison to Tony Romo. But Burrow is on a completely different level than Romo when he was a college senior, and the same holds true for Garoppolo.

. Both were exceptional from the neck up

Joe could never compete with Manning from the eyebrows up though.

just kidding. I think it a good comparison. There probably has never been another QB as NFL ready as Peyton. But with today’s game that mobility edge that Joe has is going to help him big time.Doesn’t even have to get him yards if it just buys him time.

If Burrow is drafted by the Bengals he'll be going from one extreme to another.

The Bengals are a dumpster fire and have been for a very long time under Mike Brown.

Burrow had a great season but he had a great supporting cast of playmakers/coaches around him and that's something he won't have in Cincinnati.

He'll take some lumps in the NFL.

Way too elusive inside the pocket, and mobile outside the pocket for me to compare him to Peyton. Peyton’s management at the line of scrimmage and coverage reading was almost impossible to match, but in terms of natural ability I think Burrow is significantly more athletic, with just as good an arm.

There’s not a natural comparison for Burrow, and I think that’s why he has such a high rank for me. In terms of his mobility, gamesmanship, and facilitation ability at every level of the defense, the square peg/round hole comp I mustered up was Deshaun Watson. But even then, you’re talking about a QB in Watson that’s biggest deterrent was the fact that he was mistake prone and couldn’t always elevate his play to that elite level for every game. Joe Burrow had 0 outings this year that were anything but remarkable.

Joel Klatt, who I probably have the most respect for among every college football talking head, says the only comparison that really fits with what we saw in 2019 from Burrow is Joe Montana.. That one has sat with me. I think Burrow has all-time great appeal.

More like Eli Manning than Peyton.

Compares favorably to Eli and Jimmy Garoppolo.
Eli Manning, the mediocre QB who could barely complete 60% of his passes for his career in an era where that's quite underwhelming.

That Eli Manning?

The OP has it right in terms of NFL ready cerebral QBs coming out of college. Peyton is the only comparison I can make in the past 20+ years of someone so ready for the NFL.

Maybe a less strong Andrew Luck? They have similar mobility levels coming out of college and both have a very pro skill set in the passing game.
I never thought of Andrew Luck having a terribly strong arm. If that's what you meant.

But yeah that would be another QB I would put in that class of cerebral QBs who were NFL ready. Good call.

If Burrow is drafted by the Bengals he'll be going from one extreme to another.

The Bengals are a dumpster fire and have been for a very long time under Mike Brown.

Burrow had a great season but he had a great supporting cast of playmakers/coaches around him and that's something he won't have in Cincinnati.

He'll take some lumps in the NFL.

Indianapolis was a dumpster fire when Peyton was drafted too. They did already have Bill Polian as GM, but I think that Burrow's very presence in Cincinnati will help them attract good front office personnel, much as how David Griffin went to the Cavs when LeBron went back there.

My original question was what college quarterback does Burrow compare to--I probably did not make myself clear--not what pro quarterback do you think Burrow in the NFL will play like. The Eli Manning comparison is an interesting one, though Eli was never as dominant as Burrow was this past season.

I have seen the comparison to Tony Romo. But Burrow is on a completely different level than Romo when he was a college senior, and the same holds true for Garoppolo.
That's exactly what I meant: college Eli and Jimmy.

I think Burrow's Ceiling is Eli and his floor is Jimmy.

I recall Eli at Ole Miss with his touch, Ball placement and accuracy. That's who i meant.

As a pure prospect I don't think that he is as Talented as Andrew Luck was but he is better inside the pocket than Romo was early in his Career.

I was also a big advocate for Jimmy Garropolo here the year he came out.

Jimmy also had a similar build, touch and playing style.

Eli Manning, the mediocre QB who could barely complete 60% of his passes for his career in an era where that's quite underwhelming.

That Eli Manning?

The OP has it right in terms of NFL ready cerebral QBs coming out of college. Peyton is the only comparison I can make in the past 20+ years of someone so ready for the NFL.
Im not in much of an argument mood today but yeah.

Im pretty sure that if anyone remembers Eli's career at Ole miss as vividly as I do then the similarities are obvious.

The touch, the accuracy, footwork and even the build.

Manning also played strongly at the end of his rookie year in relief of Warner if I recall correctly.

But you are kidding yourself if you think that Burrow is a better physical prospect than Luck or Even Newton.

The guy has several NFL quality wrs and eternity in the pocket from game to game.

It's easy to call a guy mediocre when he isn't working in a Sean Payton offense with a plethora of superstars.

Indianapolis was a dumpster fire when Peyton was drafted too. They did already have Bill Polian as GM, but I think that Burrow's very presence in Cincinnati will help them attract good front office personnel, much as how David Griffin went to the Cavs when LeBron went back there.

Well the colts were stacked Harrison faulk and pathon were already on the team.

Not quite a dumpster fire with two hall of famers on the team.

I can't wait this this guy get picked so we can stop all the nonsense about him.

Yes he should be compared to Manning. Manning had not even close to the same surrounding talent at Tenn.

Who even out of that team played a down on Sundays besides Joey Kent?

I wish Joe well. The best job ever going from a maybe third day pick to first overall. forking amazing.

The draft can't get here fast enough!

I never thought of Andrew Luck having a terribly strong arm. If that's what you meant.

But yeah that would be another QB I would put in that class of cerebral QBs who were NFL ready. Good call.

Strong as in built stouter than Burrow.

I’d guess his arm was stronger as well but not sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom