N/S ***Burrow's Bengals vs Mayfield's Browns Game Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Burrow wasn't mediocre at all last night. He was very good. I mean, yeah, it's the Browns, but he still willed the Bengals to 30 points in spite of the Bengals offensive line being terrible and his receivers dropping numerous passes. Burrow will be fine. His team, probably not so much.

All I say is that I expected more from Burrows. I know the Bungles are bad, but so are the Browns, who were eradicated by the Ravens 4 days earlier. Burrows threw short passes for the most part, the Browns knew that, so they brought more people closer to the LOS. At that point I expected Burrows to take advantage of that, but he didn't. His WRs are bad, his OL is worse, but he should have had a better performance. I don't say he played bad, but a player of his caliber should be able to do more. Let's see after the 3rd game how he does, usually offenses can play much better after 3 weeks into the season, when the have tape on their opponents.

Yeah, looks like this is going to be a modern day Archie Manning situation. Burrow just needs to play hard, never complain, endear himself to the people of Cincinnati, and make as much money as he possibly can.... and survive!
FIFY

I think Burrow was good.....he's on a really bad team so it's hard to tell. The numbers look good, but 61 passes, you'd better throw for 300 yards with that......Burrow got beat up all night. People will see zero interceptions and 3 TDs, but he probably should have had a couple of picks to be honest. There were some passes he was throwing up because he was about to get killed. Against a real defense, those are picks.

He's a rookie. People who thought he was going to come in and dominate don't understand the huge difference between college and the NFL. His line is terrible. His weapons appear to be not as good as they sound on paper. AJ Green seems to be done. Boyd is good, but he's not a #1. Mixon is good, but his line is terrible. Joe's gonna take a beating this year and they'll be lucky to win 5 games

He's certainly not the greatest, most pro-ready rookie to ever enter the league as he was so often painted. Some of it is his team. Some of it is him not being ready. It will take time and I think he'll be a good QB.

Past that, I find myself not really caring much about what he does. He's not even from LA. He played one great year at LSU and now he plays for an AFC team in his home state. Good luck to him. I hope he beats the Ravens and Steelers a lot in the near future.

Yeah, looks like this is going to be a modern day Archie Manning situation. Burrow just needs to play hard, never complain, endear himself to the people of Cincinnati, and make as much money as he possibly can.

Indeed, because once again, there's unrestricted free agency today, unlike during Archie's time.

I am frankly surprised by the number on this thread who believe that Burrow's play was mediocre or did not meet expectations. Consider the circumstances: on a really bad team, no off-season, no preseason, starting from day one. I am not the biggest LSU fan on this forum, and I readily concede that Burrow does not have the special arm talent that Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes have, but then Brady and Brees never had that type of arm talent as well. Tua and Herbert are sitting on the bench. Peyton Manning played his first season. That year he completed 56.7 percent of his passes, and threw 26 TDs and 28 INTs, and the Colts went 3-13. I think that under the circumstances Burrow is meeting the expectations of the Bengals and nearly all league observers--he played with poise and looked like he belongs in the league, he was productive, and he almost won despite being on the inferior team.

Last edited:
I am frankly surprised by the number on this thread who believe that Burrow's play was mediocre or did not meet expectations. Consider the circumstances: on a really bad team, no off-season, no preseason, starting from day one. I am not the biggest LSU fan on this forum, and I readily concede that Burrow does not have the special arm talent that Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes have, but then Brady and Brees never had that type of arm talent as well. Tua and Herbert are sitting on the bench. Peyton Manning played his first season. That year he completed 56.7 percent of his passes, and threw 26 TDs and 28 INTs, and the Colts went 3-13. I think that under the circumstances Burrow is meeting the expectations of the Bengals and nearly all league observers--he played with poise and looked like he belongs in the league, he was productive, and he also won despite being on the inferior team.

Totally agree. I'll just add that you really can't look at the numbers for a raw rookie's first 2 games. You have to look at his demeanor, awareness, judgment, accuracy, and reads. Those things will be there every game, and make him a good QB going forward. I'll bet you 28 teams would love to have him.

Last edited:
The Bengals are exactly what was expected. They'll compete, win some games here and come up short in close games. Burrow alone is not enough to overcome that O.line and bonehead coaching at times.

The Bengals are exactly what was expected. They'll compete, win some games here and come up short in close games. Burrow alone is not enough to overcome that O.line and bonehead coaching at times.

I think Burrow has enough Brady and Aikman in him to force the team into improving the plays and players. If the play calls are bad, the coach will hear it from Joe. If an OL or WR is bad, he will hear it from Joe. I suspect he will have something to say about a certain WR and a couple of OL today.

He's certainly not the greatest, most pro-ready rookie to ever enter the league as he was so often painted. Some of it is his team. Some of it is him not being ready. It will take time and I think he'll be a good QB.

Past that, I find myself not really caring much about what he does. He's not even from LA. He played one great year at LSU and now he plays for an AFC team in his home state. Good luck to him. I hope he beats the Ravens and Steelers a lot in the near future.

I don't know that he's been painted the greatest, most pro-ready rookie to enter the league. He's just the guy that had the greatest single season in college football history and people are interested in seeing how he translates. He didn't even really work pro-style at LSU. And from the offense they're running, it looks more like Taylor is more translating the NFL level to Burrow rather than the other way around, working mostly spread/shotgun. Regardless, I'll put 316 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT after a truncated training camp and no preseason up against anyone else in the league. That loss was on the receivers, O-line and run defense. I thought Burrow looked fantastic relative to his situation, experience and the quality of his team.

I think Burrow has enough Brady and Aikman in him to force the team into improving the plays and players. If the play calls are bad, the coach will hear it from Joe. If an OL or WR is bad, he will hear it from Joe. I suspect he will have something to say about a certain WR and a couple of OL today.

Dude, he's played 2 games and zero preseason games. He's still gotta prove himself to his own team before he truly becomes a leader for the Bengals. It's earned, not given. I believe he'll earn it pretty quickly, but it will take a few games this season to figure that out. Let's not forget, Manning went 1-15 his first season. Orhers haven't fared much better.

I watched the entire game yesterday, and with the exception of a few minutes where he had 3-4 passes that were behind his receivers, he was very good. I mean, 30 points. And both of the first 2 games they were close enough to win games late in the 4th quarter.

He made all the throws you expect of a franchise QB last night. The play calling was meh at best. Burrow isn't coming in and calling his own plays at the outset. That will come with game experience.

Dude, he's played 2 games and zero preseason games. He's still gotta prove himself to his own team before he truly becomes a leader for the Bengals. It's earned, not given. I believe he'll earn it pretty quickly, but it will take a few games this season to figure that out. Let's not forget, Manning went 1-15 his first season. Orhers haven't fared much better.

I watched the entire game yesterday, and with the exception of a few minutes where he had 3-4 passes that were behind his receivers, he was very good. I mean, 30 points. And both of the first 2 games they were close enough to win games late in the 4th quarter.

He made all the throws you expect of a franchise QB last night. The play calling was meh at best. Burrow isn't coming in and calling his own plays at the outset. That will come with game experience.

We'll just have to agree to agree. :hihi:

My point is, Burrow is smart and I suspect he will get what he wants... someone better to block and throw to. Green and the OL really let him down.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom