Bush calls for end of Isreali 'occupation' of Arab lands (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

Dreaming of a SAINTS Super Bowl!
Reaction score
MSNBC
Bush calls for end of 'occupation' of Arab lands
updated 54 minutes ago

RAMALLAH, West Bank - President Bush, summing up meetings with both sides in the Israeli-Palestinian dispute, said Thursday that a peace accord will require “painful political concessions” by each. Resolving the status of Jerusalem will be hard, he said, and he called for the end of the “occupation” of Arab land by the Israeli military.

“Now is the time to make difficult choices,” Bush said after a first-ever visit to the Palestinian territories, which followed separate meetings with Israeli leaders in Jerusalem the day before.

READ MORE
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22587081/

Oh, boy... not this again.

When you have people like "Ah'm-a-nut-job" in Iran talking about finishing the job Hitler started (while at the same time denying the Holocaust happened to the level the "Zionists" said it did), by "driving the Jews into the sea"; Syria (through Lebanon) and Palestine both encouraging terrorist acts in Israel and so forth, comments like this really don't need to be said.

The Arab nations need to renounce their support of anti-Israel terrorist actions (especially financially), recognize the state of Israel and acknowledge its right to exist and then we can talk about land concessions (which I'm assuming is the Golan Heights and the occupied West Bank)

When you have people like "Ah'm-a-nut-job" in Iran talking about finishing the job Hitler started (while at the same time denying the Holocaust happened to the level the "Zionists" said it did), by "driving the Jews into the sea";

The Arab nations need to renounce their support of anti-Israel terrorist actions (especially financially), recognize the state of Israel and acknowledge its right to exist and then we can talk about land concessions (which I'm assuming is the Golan Heights and the occupied West Bank)

1)Ahmadinejad said nothing like that

2)The Arab League has already offered full recognition of Israel and normalization of relations if the settlement and occupation is ended. Years ago. Israel has refused.

This is the Middle East. They don't consider capitulation up front to be "negotiation."

Last edited:
MSNBC
Bush calls for end of 'occupation' of Arab lands
updated 54 minutes ago

RAMALLAH, West Bank - President Bush, summing up meetings with both sides in the Israeli-Palestinian dispute, said Thursday that a peace accord will require “painful political concessions” by each. Resolving the status of Jerusalem will be hard, he said, and he called for the end of the “occupation” of Arab land by the Israeli military.

“Now is the time to make difficult choices,” Bush said after a first-ever visit to the Palestinian territories, which followed separate meetings with Israeli leaders in Jerusalem the day before.

READ MORE
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22587081/

:hmm:

Wow, George came around, assuming he actually called the occupation an occupation.

"Concessions by each." He's right.

This will anger the pro-Israel crowd and they will complain. Israel will drag its feet until Bush is out of office and this will fizzle out like all other efforts.

Meanwhile I expect someone from the Democrats to play election politics and suck up to the pro-Israel lobby and attack Bush for betraying our 'ally.'

Bush 1 tried this and it went nowhere.

Last edited:
Ah...yes he did.

Ahmadinejad: Israel Will Be Destroyed
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=3239579

Iranian leader: Holocaust a 'myth'
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/12/14/iran.israel/

The destruction of "the Zionist regime" does not mean that an Iran will round up Jews and send them to a gas chamber, i.e. "finish what Hitler started."

They could easily start with their own Jews, but they don't:

http://www.csmonitor.com/durable/1998/02/03/intl/intl.3.html

The destruction of "the Zionist regime" does not mean that an Iran will round up Jews and send them to a gas chamber, i.e. "finish what Hitler started."

They could easily start with their own Jews, but they don't:

http://www.csmonitor.com/durable/1998/02/03/intl/intl.3.html

I would add that his threats are typically leveled against the regime not the nation itself. If I were to say "Soon the Bush regime will be gone" I'm not claiming America will be gone.

Admittedly I try to stay out of interpreting their statements because I don't understand the meanings of their words very well. "Regime" may mean something totally different to them than it does to me.

I would add that his threats are typically leveled against the regime not the nation itself. If I were to say "Soon the Bush regime will be gone" I'm not claiming America will be gone.

Admittedly I try to stay out of interpreting their statements because I don't understand the meanings of their words very well. "Regime" may mean something totally different to them than it does to me.

Plus, a lot of times something is lost in translation. For what it is worth.

The P.L.O., Hamas, Iran, Hezbollah all frequently refer or referred to Israel is "the regime" or "the Zionist Regime" or "the regime occupying Jerusalem."

They had centuries over which they could have expelled or exterminated the Jewish community of Palestine -- the Old Yishuv -- simply for being Jews. They did not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yishuv

Trouble started when the European Jews from Russia, Poland and the Ukraine came into Palestine and jumped the Arab claim on the territory.

Last edited:
glad to see Bush is doing this. I agree with him for once, and I respect him a bit more now for being sensible.

However, blackadder, please dont use semantics to defend Ahmadinejad by making it sound like he wants peace with Israel. He has been very clear in communicating his belief that Israel must be wiped off the map. His support for the complete destruction of Israel is well documented and indesputible.

“Israel is a dried-up, rotten tree that will be destroyed by a single storm” -Ahmadinejad

glad to see Bush is doing this. I agree with him for once, and I respect him a bit more now for being sensible.

However, blackadder, please dont defend Ahmadinejad by making it sound like he wants peace with Israel. He has been very clear in communicating his belief that Israel must be wiped off the map. His support for the complete destruction of Israel is well documented and indesputible.

“Israel is a dried-up, rotten tree that will be destroyed by a single storm” -Ahmadinejad

Actually, he said that the regime occupying Jerusalem will disappear from the page of time. He uses a lot of metaphors.

I don't think Ahmadinejad likes Israel and would love to see it disappear. But Ahmadinejad has no authority in the matter. He is a politician.

The Iranian military is in control of the mullahs, so Ahmadinjad has no authority to give any orders to "outlaw Israel forever" to paraphrase Ronald Reagan.

The Iranians are also on record saying that they will accept whatever deal that the Palestinians reach with Israel.

Ahmadinejad is going to fade off the scene after the next election. He has failed to deliver on a lot promises, has run the economy into the ground and is losing popularity quickly. All this brinksmanship with the U.S. and Israel only helps to hang onto his core constituency.

Actually, he said that the regime occupying Jerusalem will disappear from the page of time. He uses a lot of metaphors.

I don't think Ahmadinejad likes Israel and would love to see it disappear. But Ahmadinejad has no authority in the matter. He is a politician.

The Iranian military is in control of the mullahs, so Ahmadinjad has no authority to give any orders to "outlaw Israel forever" to paraphrase Ronald Reagan.

The Iranians are also on record saying that they will accept whatever deal that the Palestinians reach with Israel.

Ahmadinejad is going to fade off the scene after the next election. He has failed to deliver on a lot promises, has run the economy into the ground and is losing popularity quickly. All this brinksmanship with the U.S. and Israel only helps to hang onto his core constituency.
the passage I quoted by him is a direct quote. He said "Israel is a dried up rotten tree" not the regime in Israel or whatever. Ahmadinejad would like the same thing as Hamas, he would like Israel to no longer exist. If Israel will give back occupied lands that would help marginalize the radicals who want the complete destruction of Israel, so this is a smart move that Bush is advocating and I am pleased and a bit surprised by it. But lets not have any illusions about radical Islam ok. Sure there are many who would be happy to see a 2 state solution. There are also plenty of Muslims who would be satisfied with nothing short of the complete destruction of Israel. Ahmadinejad's rhetoric would clearly place him in the latter camp of Muslims who want Israel to be "destroyed".

the passage I quoted by him is a direct quote. He said "Israel is a dried up rotten tree" not the regime in Israel or whatever. Ahmadinejad would like the same thing as Hamas, he would like Israel to no longer exist. If Israel will give back occupied lands that would help marginalize the radicals who want the complete destruction of Israel, so this is a smart move that Bush is advocating and I am pleased and a bit surprised by it. But lets not have any illusions about radical Islam ok. Sure there are many who would be happy to see a 2 state solution. There are also plenty of Muslims who would be satisfied with nothing short of the complete destruction of Israel. Ahmadinejad's rhetoric would clearly place him in the latter camp of Muslims who want Israel to be "destroyed".

It's clear he is no fan of Israel. But he is speaking in metaphors in Farsi. He thinks Israel is rotten. That doesn't mean he is going to attack Israel.

The Israelis are well defended. Don't worry, they have nuclear missles pointed at Tehran at all times.

He's not going to attack Israel because he knows how they will respond... but make no mistake, the "Zionist" term describes the Jews in Israel.

He will not use the term "Israel" because in his ilk's jargon acknowledging the word "Israel" is defacto recognizing the state as legitimate.

It was my interpretation that he wants to finish the job Hitler started (hence why it was not in quotes), but make no mistake, the Islamic fascists like him think Israelis don't deserve to live so long as they "occupy" Palestine/lower Syria/TransJordan (depending on which map you consult in the Arab world).

Israel has made plenty of concessions... it's the Arab world that needs to make the concessions for a change (and not by force, either).

He's not going to attack Israel because he knows how they will respond... but make no mistake, the "Zionist" term describes the Jews in Israel...

...Israel has made plenty of concessions... it's the Arab world that needs to make the concessions for a change (and not by force, either).

You can't have "Zionism" without Zionists.

http://www.zoa.org/
http://www.wzo.org.il/en/default.asp
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Zionism/zionism.html
http://www.israel.org/MFA/Facts About Israel/State/ZIONISM- Background

I would think his reference is to the end of the racial and religious basis of the state of Israel, rather than a desire to "exterminate the Jews."

What concessions? They've got more of the land than they were ever entitled to. They only gave the Sinai back to Egypt when they found out there was no oil or anything else of worth underneath. They only got out of Lebanon when the Lebanese made it to costly for them to stay.

As Mr. Bush said, "it's time." Long past time, really.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom