Bush similiarity to Steve Smith (1 Viewer)

TI

Veteran
Reaction score
I am with everybody else that is hoping that Reggie starts to explode as an every down back, but I think if he doesn't, he could be a star at WR. Bush and Steve Smith from Carolina look very similiar in their play and stature. Bush (6'0" 205) is a little bit bigger than Smith(5'9" 185) but they both have unbelievable hands, quick bursts of speed and a knack for getting open for quarterbacks. I think Bush's career might be longer and his productivity greater if he made that switch sooner than later. Also, with the inevitable decision by the front office on Deuce vs. Bush, the decision may be made easier if Bush moved to WR. Horn is either going to retire or be cut in the next two years so that opens the #1 spot at WR and we could still keep Deuce the length of the contract.

I don't think he should move to WR sooner rather than later. I think if he hasn't gotten better by the end of his second year in regards to rushing, then maybe...MAYBE...he gets nudged more to the outside. Even still his presence in the backfield garners alot of attention from opposing defenses. I'm really not sure any team may just let him go and defend him less, at least not this year.

Nevertheless, he's still been able to have positive plays with all the extra attention. In about 3 years I'm certain he'll be an MVP caliber back with receiving skills greater than some of the modern day bests. When his time in the NFL is done they will have defined a new offensive position because of him. The x back.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure he wants to be a RB, not a WR.

And even if he doesn't care, I want him to stay at RB. when he finally starts learning how to run the ball hes going to be a very special player and im really looking forward to that.

I sure wouldn't mind Colston and Bush being our top two receivers. Bush catches the ball very well on the perimeter - I'd hate to see him only snagging passes out of the backfield. Bush could be our long gain-style guy, while Colston could be the possession guy.

I am with everybody else that is hoping that Reggie starts to explode as an every down back, but I think if he doesn't, he could be a star at WR. Bush and Steve Smith from Carolina look very similiar in their play and stature. Bush (6'0" 205) is a little bit bigger than Smith(5'9" 185) but they both have unbelievable hands, quick bursts of speed and a knack for getting open for quarterbacks. I think Bush's career might be longer and his productivity greater if he made that switch sooner than later. Also, with the inevitable decision by the front office on Deuce vs. Bush, the decision may be made easier if Bush moved to WR. Horn is either going to retire or be cut in the next two years so that opens the #1 spot at WR and we could still keep Deuce the length of the contract.

Seems like i comment on this on a weekly basis. No offense intended ever....but this would be a bad move. Reggie has an effect on an opposing defense more as a running back than he ever will as a WR. One of many reasons defenses have a hard time getting to Brees is because of the presence of Reggie in the backfield. Moving him to a WR position exclusively would give a defense a free pass to blitz the snot out of the Saints offense. One reason they can't now is because Bush is predominantly motioned from the backfield to a WR position, taking a defense from a base formation to a forced nickel package using a Linebacker or safety to cover bush. This exposes a secondary and makes a DC reluctant to send a blitz. When Reggie isn't motioned out, the defense still doesn't want to blitz vecause all we would have to do is get the ball to bush over the blitz.

In simplest terms....the way Bush is used right now effects the front 7 to 8 of a defense. Moving him to a WR position would reduce that effect to the back four, and allow the front seven to attack the line of scrimmage freeely. Something we saw the effects of a LOT last year.

Reggie should never be looked at in regards to individual stats over his effect on a defense as a whole. Doing so would be to overlook everything he does to a defense. Also....watch him pass block and tell me why you would take him away from that position.

Reggie should never be looked at in regards to individual stats over his effect on a defense as a whole. Doing so would be to overlook everything he does to a defense. Also....watch him pass block and tell me why you would take him away from that position.

Maybe it's that we're looking for actual Reggie production and not a career decoy, otherwise there's no way to validate the price we paid for him. The best players make plays for themselves AND help create for others - if, in a couple years (not right away), Bush is still only doing the latter, then a change may be in order. Considering the laughable talent at WR behind Horn/Colston, and thus the extent of an upgrade we'll receive, only sweetens the deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom