Bush: US should have bombed Auschwitz (1 Viewer)

black, Bill Moyers did a special about 10 years ago on WWII and the treatment of European Jews and the slant I got from it was that we had opportunities to bomb Auschwitz, Treblinka,and other Nazi death camps but the information was either discarded, overlooked, or just plain ignored. Now Moyers is not a rip roaring right winger man but he raised an important issue: The opportunity was their and we did not go with it. I can see both sides of the issue a bit better then Iraq because its more objective but my position on the Nazi death camps and Auschwitz is this: We knew to a certain extent what was going on over their, we extemely curtailed visas from Jews trying to escape being killed in the pre-war years and the start of WWII, and other countries like the UK and France had similar guidelines as well.

Bottom line black, we had the opportunity to do more to stop the killing in the death camps but we did not do it. Sure we had a war to win and thats all well and good I understand that but man when you see and have clear credible intelligence that a brutal evil thing like that is going on by your enemies, it is not right to ignore or not do something

And yet, some of the most decorated soldiers in WWII fought in Italy and were, you guessed it, Japanese. Greatest generation indeed.

Indeed. The "Greatest Generation" moniker is a croc and completely misleading. As far as I'm concerned, the greatest generation were the founders. The rest are pretty much equal.

Billy Mitchell bombing the Japanese Mainland was military idiocy but it served an important purpose nonetheless.

The sentiment is the same here but I don't expect those suffering from BDS to even consider it as a possibility.

So yes, Boosh-chimp real stoopid.

There were reports of the atrocities happening in the death camps. However, because they were so horrific, many reports were simply not believed. Patton himself was horrified by what he saw and he supposedly knew of the actions being carried on at the camps. Even today it is extremely hard to believe that people can be that horrible to others.

As far as the statement that the Nazis would have loaded prisoners so they would get bombed has many merits, as they had put prisoners of war on cargo ships and sent them out to the Baltic to be sunk by the allies.

Also many of the death camps were in soviet territory and has been mentioned that would have been a big nono to bomb them and step on the russians toes.

Even if the bombings were accurate, what would it have accomplished? The Nazis gassed, shot, buried alive, burned alive, starved and killed in every way they could. If they bombed the railroads, they simply would have found another way. As far as rising up and rebelling, people who make those statements must have never seen the pictures of the survivors of the camps. I seriously doubt if the scared and starved members of those camps would have been able to stand up against the SS guards.

I have been to the Arizona memorial several times. Everytime I go there is always a lot of Japanese tourists there, but they are always reverential. Many times I have seen them weep openly and just stare at you with eyes that say "I'm sorry." I would like to think I would be just as classy were I to ever visit Hiroshima or Nagasaki.

As to the Auschwitz question, by the time the Allies were in a position to sabotage the rail lines and seed rebellion in the minds of the Jewish prisoners, they were too malnutrioned and frail to have been any kind of serious threat to their gaurds. I guess the mercy killing aspect does have some kind of merit, but I fail to see how suffering through a fiery inferno of death is any less horrible than having your life snuffed out via toxic gas.

And for the record, George W. Bush acting holier than though about a torturous death camp would be high comedy were it not so incredibly sad.

There was a division of labor in WW2. Poland was the USSR's territory, and we were addressing the western front. The Soviets would not have taken too kindly to our actions in their region. Bombing the camps was never a high order priority. The fact that the comment comes from BushHitler and attending reaction only serves to deepen the psychosis surrounding this President.

You had me and then you lost me. Because Poland was in the then USSR's eastern front of the war was probably the main reason the American's and Brits were never able to take out the [SIZE=-1] infrastructure[/SIZE] leading to Auschwitz. Stalin would have claimed it was an attack by the Allies on the USSR. But the BushHitler comment went a little too far. Bush may not be the most eloquent president we have ever had, but to compare him to Hitler is a bridge too far.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom