Bushrod may not be back...[Mod edit - OPINION] (3 Viewers)

saint_cajun78

Very Banned
Reaction score
So what happens now? Do you think we target a OL in the the first? What Free agents are out there? What's your thoughts about placing the franchise tag on him. I firmly believe in keeping Brees protected and that all starts with our O-line, I don't like to see us degrade at the expense of the cap situation. Cut Smith already!

Link:http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/...er-a-top-priority-for-the-new-orleans-saints/

So what happens now? Do you think we target a OL in the the first? What Free agents are out there? What's your thoughts about placing the franchise tag on him. I firmly believe in keeping Brees protected and that all starts with our O-line, I don't like to see us degrade at the expense of the cap situation. Cut Smith already!

Absolutely horrible and misleading title. You have zero information that tells you that Bushrod may not be back. ZERO. Geez.....

It's a very deep FA class for tackles--looks like many teams are going to not tag their tackles and let the market play out their values...which is good for us.

Nah, he is on the road to right. We don't have, what 9-10 mill per?, to keep the dude if that is what he is going to seek over 4-5 years. I say, come on down Charlie Brown.

Wow... And you're just telling me this NOW?? GOOD LORD, MAN!! Our season ended two months ago, why has no one mentioned Bushrod's potential departure or possible replacement until NOW? How could SR have possibly missed such an important topic as our starting LT???

Oh wait... :rolleyes:

It's a roll of the dice but, if this happens, do not be surprised to see the Saints target an OT in the first. I'd really hate to see it happen but the article does indicate that the Saints will have to do some pretty serious movement in the salary cap in order to keep Bushrod. If so, it makes sense to let him go because it's likely they can get a very suitable replacement in the draft. The only complaint I have about it is I'd really hoped the Saints could grab a good OLB/Pass rusher type with that first rounder. Hopefully, Gallette can turn into the guy we all think he can.

Bushrod was a good ot but that is about it. He can thank Brees for getting him into pro bowl for two years... Brees makes a lot of our olmen look good would be interesting to see how dominant bushrod is when he goes to a team where qb holds onto ball longer than Brees

That's a pretty terrible article. It's just pure speculation based on something we all know and have speculated about. We have cap issues and Bushrod could be expensive so we might lose him. I think we all knew that.

In addition, calling Bushrod "one of the best left tackles in the NFL" and then saying he could make $5 to $8 million per year is pretty funny. Ignoring the fact that I dont' think anyone considers him one of the best left tackles (he's probably in the above average range), if he really was one of the top left tackles, he would command a lot more that $5 to $8 million.

Looks like another bleacher report type site...

If he wants a payday, we need to let him.go. Drew mechanics help make people in that position better. Ryan Clady was on NFL radio yesterday saying as much for Manning. He was tagged and is cool.with it...but he is going to hold out. Bottom line...you have Clady, Long, Bushrod and others seeking payment with a lucrative crop from college coming. He chose a bad time.

Nah, he is on the road to right. We don't have, what 9-10 mill per?, to keep the dude if that is what he is going to seek over 4-5 years. I say, come on down Charlie Brown.

Cool. So that solution will protect (I'm using the word loosely) Drew for about two games until it pulls a hammy. What then? Can Rob Ryan play LT?

Fact of the matter is that this IS an issue. That's why we've been discussing it for months. Bushrod graded as our WORST starting olineman last year - in fact according to PFF he played "like he hated his Quarterback". However, due to clueless fan voting and the high profile nature of our Offense he still made the pro bowl. That means he will almost certainly want more money than his play is worth. Therefore I'm of the opinion that, with our cap situation being so tight we must get the best VALUE we can. Therefore I don't think we should resign him even if we could. Bushrod does not represent good value. I think it is time to find a new LT .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom