Bushrod, Moore among Prisco's Top 50 free agents (1 Viewer)

BlackNGoldblood

Cruisin' for a Bruisin'
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan said today that we need to re-sign both guys, especially Bushrod. Ryan said that Charles Brown still isn't ready from his back surgery.

35. Jermon Bushrod, T, New Orleans Saints: He was the starting left tackle the past two years and has improved. The question is whether he is anything more than just a solid player. If teams think he is, he could cash in big.

40. Lance Moore, WR, New Orleans Saints: He is the perfect slot receiver, a tough guy who isn't afraid to go over the middle. He has emerged as a big part of the New Orleans offense, and now it's time he gets paid like it.

http://www.cbssports.com/#!/nfl/story/15272054/top-50-free-agents-new-rules-may-fill-up-deep-pool

I also believe Bushrod is a solid player. I dont get why so many folks want him out. He's young(about to turn 27), and has only started for 2 seasons, so I think he still has some upside. And like I keep saying, LTs dont fall off trees; they play the most important position on the O line. They usually have to protect the QBs blind side. And even though Drew makes plays with his movement, Bushrod has helped and gotten better along the way. Offer him a good contract, lock him in for another 4-5 years. Lock in Nicks, and Drew will have the nucleus of his O line in place for years to come.

I also believe Bushrod is a solid player. I dont get why so many folks want him out. He's young(about to turn 27), and has only started for 2 seasons, so I think he still has some upside. And like I keep saying, LTs dont fall off trees; they play the most important position on the O line. They usually have to protect the QBs blind side. And even though Drew makes plays with his movement, Bushrod has helped and gotten better along the way. Offer him a good contract, lock him in for another 4-5 years. Lock in Nicks, and Drew will have the nucleus of his O line in place for years to come.

One of the big reasons is that he is a solid LT and those do not grow on trees so we will have to give him a good chunk of our salary cap space to keep him. Meanwhile we have Charles Brown sitting on the bench. While Bushrod is solid he doesn't have the athleticism and potential of Brown. Brown is considered a light athletic LT with ample run blocking ability but exceptional pass blocking potential.

I think the fans realize that Bushrod is a solid starter but see the potential of Brown and hope he can be better. Having said this, inexperianced tackles are risky for a team with superbowl aspirations. If Bushrod can be resigned for a resonable price he would be valuable as depth and insurance in case Brown is not ready.

I have a hard time justifying giving Bushrod a good, long term contract. Not because of a poor play, he's adequate but because we have C. Brown developing right behind him. In terms of long term potential he was 2nd only to Russel Okung in the 2010 draft. He fell because he had poor technique, needed to get stronger, and had an injury. And now he's both stronger and has improved his technique.

If we give Bushrod a long term contract and then Brown outplays him next year we are stuck paying starting LT money to a backup. The only way it works is if we tie his contract into having a starting job or if we think he's capable of moving to RT in the future. If he can play RT then we are golden.

I have a hard time justifying giving Bushrod a good, long term contract. Not because of a poor play, he's adequate but because we have C. Brown developing right behind him. In terms of long term potential he was 2nd only to Russel Okung in the 2010 draft. He fell because he had poor technique, needed to get stronger, and had an injury. And now he's both stronger and has improved his technique.

If we give Bushrod a long term contract and then Brown outplays him next year we are stuck paying starting LT money to a backup. The only way it works is if we tie his contract into having a starting job or if we think he's capable of moving to RT in the future. If he can play RT then we are golden.

Ive thought the same thing too hopefully C. Brown will be ready to take over at LT by the time Stinchcomb's contract expires so we can then move Bushrod over to RT to take his place.

since when has lance moore become a tough guy? last time I checked tough guys dont dive on the field to avoid contact after every single catch.

Not knocking lance moore, but the fact he is being called a tough guy.....makes me question the research that went in to this article.

since when has lance moore become a tough guy? last time I checked tough guys dont dive on the field to avoid contact after every single catch.

Not knocking lance moore, but the fact he is being called a tough guy.....makes me question the research that went in to this article.

The words "Prisco" and "research" shouldn't be in the same paragraph.

Ive thought the same thing too hopefully C. Brown will be ready to take over at LT by the time Stinchcomb's contract expires so we can then move Bushrod over to RT to take his place.

I concur. You have to let some players go and draft well. Besides with players like Bushrod if he goes and starts some where, if the rules don't change on compensatory picks we will probably get at least what we used to get him (a 5th round pick).

We can not overpay everybody. This team has a high payroll with players like Moore and Bushrod paid small for being role guys. I think you have to trust the coaches to know what they have in Brown, Bushrod, Strief and Stinchcomb and let either Bushrod or Strief go. For the money Strief is probably a better value to keep, because he could start if Brown struggles or continue the great role he plays.

The Saints have the best diamond in the rough track record on O lineman in the league by far: Evans, Nicks, Strief, and Bushrod, so I would have faith that their first day pick of Brown and the second day pick of Tennant are probably destined for good things if they have the coaching staff's support.

I know Moore is small and usually the small guys get mostly slot work, but according to ESPN's Williamson, Moore does most of his damage outside. He could be a solid #2 WR for most teams

Yeah, he's more of a nimble cat than a 'tough guy'. He aint scared of anybody...that's more moxie and swaggar than toughness. No doubt he's money though...Money Moore.

Moore has been getting a lot of love from the experts lately. His nagging injury in 2009 kept him off a lot of peoples radars, but last season he played well and is starting to appear on more peoples radars. He also remains as one of Brees' favorite targets so until someone else steps up, Moore is entrenched on the team unless he goes all diva and demands an absurd amount of money.

As far as his toughness, he's hung in there and taken many licks, including that massive hit by Troy Polamalu against the Steelers and he still held on for the touchdown. However he is also smart enough to know when to "duck and cover" to preserve his body. Knowing when to take the hit and knowing when to just get down and save yourself after the catch can add a lot of time to a career. Shockey refused to ever "duck and cover" and as a result he was always fighting injuries because he took a lot of brutal shots.

Bushrod has also been impressive... he stepped up big in 2009 and while he had some flaws, hey, we won a Superbowl with him at LT so clearly his flaws weren't that bad. He also continued to improve in 2010 and I hope he returns because his continued level of improvement was impressive and very promising.

Going across the middle and making the big catches makes Lance a tough guy. After making a play it's his responsibility to protect himself so that he remain healthy to make other plays. I don't understand why people think that unless a player is getting beat up or hurt that he isn't a tough guy. But for those who think he is not tough I will say he play with HEART and SMARTS.

Adam Caplan, who's expertise I respect much, much more than Prisco, has Moore as the no. 5 rated offensive FA.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...-williams-santonio-holmes-willie-colon-062711

Possible Suitors: Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, New Orleans Saints, New York Giants, Seattle Seahawks, Washington Redskins

Analysis: Moore, who has five years of service, would be a restricted free agent under the 2010 free-agency rules. While the Saints want to re-sign him, Moore should receive significant interest elsewhere once free agency starts if he’s unrestricted.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom