Bushrod possibly leaving is a concern but how about right tackle? (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really don't know what is going to happen with the left tackle position. I don't have a problem with Bushrod but he is a 2-time pro-bowler now. He will be commanding a salary I consider, will be higher then his production.

Left tackle is our biggest need AS OF NOW.

But what about the right side? It pains me to say that Strief is not the answer. I like him coming as an extra tackle, but he hasn't been consistent enough in his play.

I do really like Marcel Jones, I think he has what it takes, but his injury didn't allow us to see if he is ready. And Charles Brown? If he is something, he is a left tackle. He may have the feet for that but he is not the mauler we need to play the right side.

There will be a lot of work for the new offensive line/ run coordinator. Hope Sean makes the best hire. My book right now is on Russ Grimm, but I think we may promote from within.

Im not completely convinced Brown has the speed or strength to plate LT . He's not terrible, but we HAVE to protect Drew's blindside.

We might be picking an OT at 15 even if we sign Bushrod back...the OT situation has been bad for a while now. It's about time we spend a 1 rounder on an OT. Best case scenario, we resign bushrod and pick either Koechel or Locker or Lane Johnson, we slide Bushrod to RT and plug in the rookie at LT OR we keep Bushrod at LT and put the rookie at RT with the expectation of him sliding to LT in 2014.

Strief is not a liability.

He may not be pro bowl worthy, but in a new year where we will see so many changes on defense...we need as much consistency as possible on the Oline and the offense. He'll be in a battle with Jones this year, so we'll be okay for at least next year.

I see us finding the room under the cap for Bushrod and then spending the majority of the money, time and planning on revamping the defense.
I just can't see Payton allowing too many diversions. The defense will enough of a handful.

We've had a number of players who we thought were a little too expensive to pay and didn't have a solid plan for replacing them in the past few years--Fujita, Goodwin, Meachem--and their losses have hurt us. We had a guy pencilled in for Nicks, but personally I'd rather still have Nicks than Grubbs. If we let Bushrod go with all the holes we have on our team right now, we will be creating yet another hole without a solid replacement plan. I think Loomis has to find a way to resign him, and then the FO needs to set about finding a new RT who can challenge Strief for the starting job.

Everyone seems to think Marcel Jones is the RT of the future, and I think that is a big mistake. While I like Jones' potential and ability, the kid has a laundry list of injuries and we can't rely on him for ANYTHING!

Everyone seems to think Marcel Jones is the RT of the future, and I think that is a big mistake. While I like Jones' potential and ability, the kid has a laundry list of injuries and we can't rely on him for ANYTHING!
Which is why Strief goes nowhere.

I like him when he is on the field, but you are right, we cannot bet of him to be available the whole season. We need a Plan B.

Swampy Saint, I have to disagree with you here. Strief had good games, but he also had terrible ones. I love him as the extra tackle, but I just can't trust him as our starter anymore.

I am kind of scared on our situation at offensive tackle and safety, more then any other positions.

I like him when he is on the field, but you are right, we cannot bet of him to be available the whole season. We need a Plan B.

Swampy Saint, I have to disagree with you here. Strief had good games, but he also had terrible ones. I love him as the extra tackle, but I just can't trust him as our starter anymore.

I am kind of scared on our situation at offensive tackle and safety, more then any other positions.
Maybe you're right.

But we had one of the best offenses yet again this year. He is hardly a big issue this year.
He'll have to do while we deal with a bigger issue.

Yeah from being a point of strength I think it was obvious this season that the OL was allowing a lot more pressure in Drew's face and not getting the same push on the ground. I think the loss of Nicks hurt more than we have acknowledged and although Drew's awareness covers some of the problems I think it was a contributory factor to the increase in turnovers and the drop off in efficiency.

After Loomis comments about it being "tough" to resign Bushrod I think we should look at addressing both positions as soon as we can, with LT potentially being the biggest need on our roster.

And here's another thing.

We don't even have an Oline coach. Having guys that have played together for an entire year will only make the next Oline coach's job that much easier to implement a new scheme without having to teach someone to play the position.

Maybe you're right.

But we had one of the best offenses yet again this year. He is hardly a big issue this year.
He'll have to do while we deal with a bigger issue.

Based on what? How many sacks Drew took? I think that's mostly down to his quick release and superior pocket awareness. Did you see how much help we were giving our Tackles? I'd be curious to see the number of pressures we have up. And we certainly weren't as good on the ground. Our efficiency fell off, particularly on third down (the pass rushing down) and we had more turnovers.

So how were we near the top in terms of our oline?

yes, i think we could use an upgrade at both positions.

Im not completely convinced Brown has the speed or strength to plate LT . He's not terrible, but we HAVE to protect Drew's blindside.

Brown seems to get injured every season. He is a bit small for OT in my opinion. I would like to see him play a complete season and be injury free, however, before I pass judgement on him.

We might be picking an OT at 15 even if we sign Bushrod back...the OT situation has been bad for a while now. It's about time we spend a 1 rounder on an OT. Best case scenario, we resign bushrod and pick either Koechel or Locker or Lane Johnson, we slide Bushrod to RT and plug in the rookie at LT OR we keep Bushrod at LT and put the rookie at RT with the expectation of him sliding to LT in 2014.

come on man.... The problem isn't Bushrod, it's how much money Bushrod will command in the open market vs his actual ability so the idea of resigning him to what will undoubtably be an excessive contract and then put him on the right side doesn't make any sense to me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom