Bushrod... (1 Viewer)

I would guess he could command about $7 million a year. With Grubbs and Evans already highly paid, our best move would be a top rookie or up and coming young player. However, that is certainly risky.

Last night on the "late hits" show on Sirius, Gill Brandt said that he spoke to a Saints coach, and that coach told him that Bushrod wants more money than Jahri Evans got.

I find this comical......if true, of course....

What you all think of this?....its crazy, isn't it?

It is and it isn't.

The typical NFL team values the LT above interior guards. So normally a LT would reasonably expect himself to be slotted above guards on the payscale.

The Saints, however, clearly do not. And so we won't.

The question then becomes if anyone else would.

I would guess he could command about $7 million a year. With Grubbs and Evans already highly paid, our best move would be a top rookie or up and coming young player. However, that is certainly risky.

Probably fair. I was thinking 5yrs/$30 million or round abouts, so we're both slotting in on the upper end and lower end of the range he can probably command, which is the tier right below Beatty.

Bushrod does do a lot of good things Saints fans don't recognize often. He's excelled in the screen game and those little 1 man pulls we do on some swing routes (a sort of pseudo screen), which plays a big part in our offense. We do a lot of nifty things with linemen in space and Bushrod has been good at it. I don't think replacing him will be easy.

But we're just not going to slot him in at $7 million a year I don't think. Especially with Grubbs and Evans renegotiating, generate large cap figures we can't do a lot about for the next few years. We're on the hook for like $20 million next year for the two of them without a real good way to reduce that cap figure.

I agree we're better off resigning de la Puente in 2014 and keeping the interior of the line intact and moving on to someone else at LT then trying to retain Bushrod.

Comparing Tackles and Guards league wide isn't the same as comparing Tackles and Guards per the Saints. We value Guards a lot more than Tackles.

I think this is a misconception brought on by the level of talent discrepancy between our guards and our tackles

Our guards allow us to create a pocket but that doesn't diminish the importance of the tackle position

Citysaint is exactly right

Guards will start signing deals for more than what jahri is making because of the inflation in the league....pro bowl tackles make a lot more than any guards in the league and Bushrod has made multiple pro bowls giving him leverage to increase his asking price.

Bushrod probably should make more than jahri based on his positional importance as well as his league recognized success...but he's not going to make a lot of money here and he's clearly peaked at a level that is unacceptable for a team that passes as much as we do

I wonder if we can get Jason Smith (Baylor) on the cheap to play/backup at right tackle assuming he is serviceable post-concussion (cut by Jets). Or maybe he is just a bust and I am wishful thinking.

I wonder if we can get Jason Smith (Baylor) on the cheap to play/backup at right tackle assuming he is serviceable post-concussion (cut by Jets). Or maybe he is just a bust and I am wishful thinking.

Smith is just a bust

I think this is a misconception brought on by the level of talent discrepancy between our guards and our tackles

I don't think that's the case.

The nature of our offense, and in particular Drew Brees, demands a higher level of skill inside then outside. Brees has consistently handled pressure from the edges significantly better then interior pressure. He has a huge need, greater than many QBs, for passing lanes to be opened up and kept clear. As long as the interior of the pocket is kept clean he has shown a consistent ability to "feel" pressure behind him and make small adjustments in the pocket to avoid outside pressure.

Compare how the Saints pass protect to, say, the Giants. The drop backs are more shallow and the pressure exerted on the OT's significantly less. All they have to do is stay inside the edge rusher.

The Saints' personal decisions demonstrate this. We've already let two pro bowl tackles walk and replaced them with, at the time, marginal edge protectors. We've shown great determination to retain interior guards and when we finally had to lose one, Nicks, we replaced him with another high priced pro bowler, Grubbs.

I don't think there's any question we value guards more.

If top tackles are asking for 10-12 million and Bushrod is asking for Jahri money which is 7 or 8 million how is he being over the top?

Bushrods Cap hit this year was almost 7 milion

Bshrod is not asking Jahri Evans money.....let's make that clear.

Bushrod is asking more money, or a bigger contract than what Jahri Evans got. That's why this sounds so crazy.....

And last night was Gill Brandt's birthday....he is 80 years old, and amid that celebration he commented on the Saints, when he mentioned what a coach supposedly told him.

Sean Payton doesn't agree with you that a tackle is worth more than a guard

So, Coach, I guess you two had a discussion about this? Well, Payton doesn't establish the relative value of players, even on his own team. One need look no further than the franchise tag salary to see what positions are worth. You play the cards you are dealt. If we had had a tackle of equal value we would have kept him. I can guarantee you that.

I don't think that's the case.

The nature of our offense, and in particular Drew Brees, demands a higher level of skill inside then outside. Brees has consistently handled pressure from the edges significantly better then interior pressure. He has a huge need, greater than many QBs, for passing lanes to be opened up and kept clear. As long as the interior of the pocket is kept clean he has shown a consistent ability to "feel" pressure behind him and make small adjustments in the pocket to avoid outside pressure.

Compare how the Saints pass protect to, say, the Giants. The drop backs are more shallow and the pressure exerted on the OT's significantly less. All they have to do is stay inside the edge rusher.

The Saints' personal decisions demonstrate this. We've already let two pro bowl tackles walk and replaced them with, at the time, marginal edge protectors. We've shown great determination to retain interior guards and when we finally had to lose one, Nicks, we replaced him with another high priced pro bowler, Grubbs.

I don't think there's any question we value guards more.

Every qb steps up into the pocket. It's part of pass protection 101

We obviously need passing lanes for drew but simple double teams between the center and guards can accomplish that with ease

Our guards are very good, but that doesn't mean we value them more. We've had 3 pro bowl tackles under Sean Payton and I think people tend to forget that

A lot...and probably too much credit goes to drew for stepping up into the pocket but if you watch any of the good offensive line/qb combos in the nfl you will notice a similar tendency to step up into a clean pocket

There's nothing that indicates we actually "value" guards more aside from the skill level and I'm guessing that will change here soon if we draft fluker or Johnson in the first round

Our guards are very good, but that doesn't mean we value them more. We've had 3 pro bowl tackles under Sean Payton and I think people tend to forget that

There's nothing that indicates we actually "value" guards more aside from the skill level and I'm guessing that will change here soon if we draft fluker or Johnson in the first round

We've had 3 pro bowl tackles, and we've let 2 of them walk. I'm not sure what you mean by "nothing indicates".

We spend less money on tackles. We let more tackles walk. We've never bothered to spend big money in FA on tackles. I would say a lot indicates we don't value them like the rest of the NFL.

If we let Bushrod walk, that'll be the third pro bowl tackle we've let walk. And replaced likely with a non-pro bowler.

We've let one single pro bowl guard walk and we replaced them with an expensive pro bowl free agent guard.

I know Bryant Mckinne has bad rep but he did play well during the Raven's playoff run. I would take a two year flier on McKinnie and let Bushrod walk.

Last night on the "late hits" show on Sirius, Gill Brandt said that he spoke to a Saints coach, and that coach told him that Bushrod wants more money than Jahri Evans got.

I find this comical......if true, of course....

What you all think of this?....its crazy, isn't it?

:spit::smilielol:

Its been real Bushrod.

We've had 3 pro bowl tackles, and we've let 2 of them walk. I'm not sure what you mean by "nothing indicates".

We spend less money on tackles. We let more tackles walk. We've never bothered to spend big money in FA on tackles. I would say a lot indicates we don't value them like the rest of the NFL.

If we let Bushrod walk, that'll be the third pro bowl tackle we've let walk. And replaced likely with a non-pro bowler.

We've let one single pro bowl guard walk and we replaced them with an expensive pro bowl free agent guard.

We've only had 2 starting guards with expiring contracts and we let 1 go

Stinch suffered a career ending injury and brown was replaced by a cheaper younger version who had just helped them to a Super Bowl

I don't think we chose to let them go bc they weren't talented. That's part of the reason for the misconception but let's rewind a bit and actually try to remember why we could let them go.

Ben Grubbs was a good free agent pickup but we went after a guard in free agency bc none of our prospects developed like our tackles did

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom