Bush's career rushing average. (2 Viewers)

Looking through Running Back stats at Pro-Football Reference, and it seems that there is certainly some precedent for RBs slowly improving their YPC.

Just to throw a random guy out there, let's take Thomas Jones for example.

3.3, 3.4, 3.7 his first three years - then, 4.6, 4.0, 4.3, 4.1.

"I'd like to know his TD to Fumble ratio."

That's easily found. Reggie has fumbled the ball 16 times in his career. He has a total of 13 rushing touchdowns, 8 receiving touchdowns, and 4 punt return touchdowns - a grand total of 25 TDs. That's about 1.6 Touchdowns for every fumble.

Edit: Sorry PurpleBlackandGold I see you already posted some of these stats - had my window open for a while without posting!

I like the comparison to Jones. Not every back comes out of the gate like a world beater. Some take time to develop just like receivers.

I love Reggie. People need to go back and look how Faulk started out his career.

Also, Reggie is our best pass blocker by a mile when it comes to the tail backs.

So far the main thing I have noticed with him is his commitment to just taking the 4 and 5 yard gains within the design of the play. If he continues to do that, he will pop a long one eventually.

I agree, I think in his limited carries he has gotten the most out of them because he is executing the play and getting what he can get, in the Jets game he had to ad lib a bit when the plays broke down and got big yards out of it, and I think him going where the play was initially designed to go is why he was able to cut across the side of the field because the defense flows to where he is and when he just takes the ball and trys to make a play, the defense hasnt commited yet and he is a sitting duck.

oh, and i'm so surprised this thread hss been so positive, it is a good feeling....but i know ther coming...

Last night I posted a fact aired on Monday night football stating that Adrian Peterson is the leading fumbler in the NFL over the last 3 years and was clobbered by the board for everything from misspelling a word to supporting a player who has clearly been a fundamental piece in the rebuilding of the New Orleans Saints. Yet everyone gets all teary eyed at the thought of Deuce not being on the team anymore and we still get call for him to run it one more time so he can retire a Saint. Yet you cannot state what Deuce has done since 2006 to get the Saints to where they are now. Not diminishing Deuce’s accomplishment at all but he clearly has not been part of the Payton era at all but I don't get the Bush hate considering Bush and Brees have been the building blocks to the team we have now.

Not diminishing Deuce’s accomplishment at all but he clearly has not been part of the Payton era at all but I don't get the Bush hate considering Bush and Brees have been the building blocks to the team we have now.

14saints.1.600.jpg

Clearly.

I really have been amazed by his pass blocking,his time will come to shine this year.

Reggie Reggie Reggie

Reggie is like the guy you invite to your party who you know will either bring 12 hot chicks or will get hammered, then puke on your couch.

Not diminishing Deuce’s accomplishment at all but he clearly has not been part of the Payton era at all

Wow, do you realize how grossly misinformed that statement is? Do you think we have a 10-6 record and make the NFC Championship game without Deuce's 1000+ season in 2006? Seriously? I'm sorry, but you can't just trim a year off of Payton's tenure because it fits your argument.

Last night I posted a fact aired on Monday night football stating that Adrian Peterson is the leading fumbler in the NFL over the last 3 years and was clobbered by the board for everything from misspelling a word to supporting a player who has clearly been a fundamental piece in the rebuilding of the New Orleans Saints. Yet everyone gets all teary eyed at the thought of Deuce not being on the team anymore and we still get call for him to run it one more time so he can retire a Saint. Yet you cannot state what Deuce has done since 2006 to get the Saints to where they are now. Not diminishing Deuce’s accomplishment at all but he clearly has not been part of the Payton era at all but I don't get the Bush hate considering Bush and Brees have been the building blocks to the team we have now.

Haha you should have quit after lastnight man. Calling out Deuce and making ridiculous statements arent going to keep you from getting blasted.

Trust me guys...Reggie will bust loose soon. You can clearly see he's pressing but he's also been very close to something special in each of the games. I would really love to see him blow up against New York like he did the last time we played them. I realize they're a different team now but so are we...we have so many weapons...it has to be an absolute nightmare for the opposing defense's coaches.

Trust me guys...Reggie will bust loose soon. You can clearly see he's pressing but he's also been very close to something special in each of the games. I would really love to see him blow up against New York like he did the last time we played them. I realize they're a different team now but so are we...we have so many weapons...it has to be an absolute nightmare for the opposing defense's coaches.

I have been skeptical of Reggie's performances in the last couple of weeks but would love to see him break out against the Giants. I don't want to see one of our own underachieve.

I find it funny that anyone who points out anything negative in Bush's game is a "hater". I wish nothing but the best for him since he is a member of the Saints and his success is also the Saints success.

I had hoped that Reggie Bush would come on the league and be similiar in production to Marshall Faulk. But, so far, it just hasn't happened consistently enough. Let's see if he can reproduce a few more of those Vikings games from '08. But, he just hasn't put enough "skins on the wall" to justify his status. He's just a part of the machine but no more valuable than Colston, Henderson, Shockey, or P. Thomas. Maybe this will eventually be his year, but after 4 years how long do you continue to hope he's just about ready to bust out??

Bush should maintain his YPC as long as he's not asked to run on short yardage often.

Certainly something he needs to continue to work on.

13 TD and 12 fumbles rushing
8 TD and 1 fumble receiving
4 TD and 3 fumble on Punt returns

25 TD to 16 fumbles total

but he also has 7 solo tackles:hihi:

Hmmm....

While I really appreciate the research, I can't help but feel that these numbers are pretty bad. Are these lost fumbles, or total fumbles? I'll reserve final judgment...for now.

I really truly wish people would get off this obsession with Reggie. The media sold us the next Gayle Sayers, and we bought it. But from season 1, Payton knew what he had (and didn't have) in Reggie. And at times, when injuries weren't an issue, Payton used him very effectively. I can't blame Payton in 07 for trying to use Reggie to replace Deuce. I, like most others, wanted to see more of the camp sensation Pierre, but maybe Pierre didn't have blitz pick-ups and other such assignments down yet, or maybe Payton just wanted to see how much experience would benefit Reggie.

Point is, Reggie, as well as our running game, has been a work in progress. Reggie bought into the hype as much as we did, and he expects as much as we do, and that is what hurts his game. But if we didn't know what Reggie made, how many of us would be bashing him? If the media gave us no expectations, we'd love him the same way New England loves Kevin Faulk, and we'd respect his contributions the same.

Will he become a Brian Westbrook or Tiki Barber in due time as the offensive line continues to improve and the play calling continues to improve? Who knows. What I do know is that Reggie embraced this city much like Drew, has been generous with his time and money for the community, and has worked very hard to improve. So cut him some slack if he isn't earning his paycheck in your opinion, or living up to fantasy football numbers you want him to have, because I guarantee you 31 other teams would absolutely love to have Reggie right now. For every time he is on the field, he has to be accounted for, and even when he doesn't get the ball, he drastically affect a defense the same way a great pump fake or look off from a QB does.

If Reggie made 4 million a year, like Leon Washington, I don't think many would still have a problem with him. Can you blame him for what he makes? It was slotted. And he has worked with the team to restructure the deal more than once.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom