Bush's notable poor performance in Tampa (1 Viewer)

saintfan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I'm not sure this has been posted, but if it has, you have my permission to ignor this thread. I am NOT a Bush basher. In fact, I believe he has been invaluable in opening up our offense, but he needs to learn to run North to South rather than East to West. He has probably rushed for over 1,000 yards this season, but just not forward.

Anyway, this appeared in the Sport Illustrated web page.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mu...0611/gallery.nfl.bythenumbers9/content.1.html

Reggie Bush ran 11 times for minus-five yards against the Buccaneers Sunday, the fewest yards by any NFL player in 21 years on 11 or more carries. The last player to gain minus-five or fewer yards on 11 or more carries was Ottis Anderson of the Cards on Nov. 4, 1985. Anderson was 5-for-minus-10 that Monday night in a 21-10 win over the Cards at Busch Stadium. Bush gained positive yards on three of his 11 carries.

People overlook the fact that at one point Gradkowski had the biggest rush of all players for the day with an 8 yard scamper. NO ONE ran the ball sunday, it was that type of game.

We Won! Who cares?

Exactly. The quoted portion reads kind of funny, but Anderson was on the losing side in that game. Minus 5 yards rushing or not, Reggie had a big impact in the Tampa game, as has been discussed ad nauseum. Payton talked about the blitz pickup on one of Devery's TD catches, and to me, the 20 yard punt return was huge in what was a 3 point game at the time. It totally changed field position, and put us on a short field to go up 10.

People overlook the fact that at one point Gradkowski had the biggest rush of all players for the day with an 8 yard scamper. NO ONE ran the ball sunday, it was that type of game.
Precisely. After Deuce gashed them in the last game, their gameplan was to take away our running game, just like they did in the second half of that game. Our gameplan was to take away Cadillac Williams and make Gradkowski beat us, which we didn't think he could do. The difference was Brees vs. Gradkowski and the result of the game speaks for itself.

To be real... Reggie runs east and west because he has no holes to run through... yes occasionally he'll miss a hole, but after watching and rewatching the games... defenders key on him, and when he comes up to get the handoff defenses are there waiting for him.

Actually, I was glad to see that the last running back who had -5 or fewer yards on 11 carries was Ottis Anderson. Ironically, this puts Bush in elite company, and it just goes to show that even a great back can have a bad day. Anderson won rookie of the year in 1979, when he ran for over 1,600 yards, and went on to eclipse 10,000 yards rushing in his career. I remember watching him not only when he was with St. Louis, but after Bill Parcels resurrected his career in New York with the Giants. He had the uncanny ability to make it look like he was going out of bounds, but then when the defender would let up just a little as Anderson edged towards the sideline, he would suddenly explode and punish the defender for several more yards.

Here's a link to Anderson's bio:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottis_Anderson

Bush was a BIG part of all 3 touchdown passes by brees'

1st TD ... pump fake to bush running short over the middle causes two linebackers to bite and leaves the middle open for the completion to colston

2nd TD ... play fake, henderson wide open.. where was the safety?

3rd TD ... play fake again to bush, henderson single coverage - safety help is WAYY late getting there... i wonder why

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom