Busy 48 hours for Benjamin Watson (1 Viewer)

why is he shirtless in what seems to be the delivery room? Maybe there was an accident when he was cutting the cord?

They usually like to give newborn babies skin to skin contact to keep them warm post birth. Normally they put the baby against the mothers bare skin, this the first time I've seen the dad used.

They usually like to give newborn babies skin to skin contact to keep them warm post birth. Normally they put the baby against the mothers bare skin, this the first time I've seen the dad used.

It's called Kangaroo Care, look it up.

why is he shirtless in what seems to be the delivery room? Maybe there was an accident when he was cutting the cord?

You'd be surprised how hot it can get in those rooms, I had my shirt off when my son was born too. Maybe the adrenalin makes your body temperature go up?

It got so hot in the delivery room when my son was born that one of the nurses almost passed out

He's giving his child skin to skin contact. It's warm to the baby and it is also believed to help in the parental/baby bonding process. My wife and I have done the same with all of our children when they were newborns.

EDIT: Here is an article about it. There is even more to it than I realized. And I can attest to the "less crying" thing. All of my kids were very infrequent criers and pretty laid back as infants.

How skin-to-skin contact helps

Skin-to-skin contact (STS) is the practice of placing a newborn infant directly on her mother's chest immediately after birth. Thirty studies involving nearly 2,000 mother-baby pairs have shown that STS offers multiple positive effects, including:
increased likelihood of breastfeeding through the first four months
increased physical contact and attachment behavior between mother and baby over the first weeks
reduced crying in newborns
improved heart and respiratory rates in preterm infants
increased infant body temperature, a benefit especially important to premature infants

Can fathers help, too?

While maternal-infant STS is clearly a safe and beneficial practice, what happens if a mother, due to C-section or other causes, cannot hold her baby skin-to-skin immediately after birth? In this study, researchers wanted to find out if paternal STS can provide the same benefits to infants. Previous studies had already shown that skin-to-skin contact by father raises newborn body temperature just as it does with mother. A new study looked at the effects of paternal skin-to-skin contact on crying and activities related to breastfeeding.

Less crying, less wakefulness

The main result of the study was that the babies held skin-to-skin by their fathers cried much less than the babies who received conventional comfort and care. On average, the skin-to-skin group cried almost half as much as the others. The skin-to-skin group also decreased their crying sooner.

The other finding was that the skin-to-skin group showed less wakefulness, rooting, and sucking-all prefeeding behaviors. Researchers suggested that this result might indicate the skin-to-skin group was comforted sooner and so did not continue to seek the breast. The bassinet group eventually settled down to the same degree as the skin-to-skin group. Because they had cried more and been more wakeful, however, this may have been due to being tired rather than the comfort they received. The skin-to-skin group also became drowsy sooner. As sleep helps newborns to recover from birth, the ability to fall asleep more quickly is another significant benefit of STS.

Skin-to-skin with fathers recommended; more to learn

The researchers in the study recommend that if the mother is not available for STS after childbirth, the baby should have close contact with another loving caregiver, such as the father. They suggest further study to see if these short-term results lead to continued benefits (such as breastfeeding beyond the first week) after the baby reunites with his mother.

Key points

Maternal skin-to-skin contact keeps babies warmer, helps establish breastfeeding, improves outcome for premature infants, and may play a role in mother-infant attachment.
Skin-to-skin contact with father keeps babies warm, but also appears to reduce crying and provide comfort to babies sooner than conventional care.

https://www.theparentreview.com/tprlibrary/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93..

I would love to be the company that makes those newborn blankets. Those things are in every hospital in America. Every baby born in a hospital in this country is wrapped in that blanket!

It's called Kangaroo Care, look it up.

This is exactly what it is.

It's one of the main things they push when it comes to preemies in the NICU (and newborns in general), especially because they spend so much time in incubators.

It'd been a week before I was able to hold my little one and this was exactly how.

Congrats to him. What a special moment for him and his family.

Congrats bro!!! now tell me more about why you're parading around the hospital without a shirt on :hihi:

edit - just read up and apparently someone offered a serious explanation. Allllllllrighty then

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom