Saints Buy or Sell: Jameis Winston (Good debate from CBS Sports) (1 Viewer)

Aaron Brooks was mediocre and that is a stretch. He relieved Blake and looked ok when he hit that long pass against the Raiders. Other than that, he never hit 60%, had almost as many int as td, and had a career passed rating below the Mendoza line. A forgetful 6 years of losing. Even in his playoff run Blake did the heavy lifting. Brooks was 3-3, Blake 7-4.

His QB rating would’ve been top 10 in the NFL that season if he had enough attempts to qualify. He also led two wins over the defending champion Rams, including one on the road and one in the playoffs with an incredibly depleted offense.

In 03, his QB rating was 7th in the NFL, immediately behind Favre.

Brooks was the best QB we had in between Archie and Drew and it’s not particularly close. In fact, you could make the case he was better than Archie (personally, I didn’t watch Archie play so I can’t really evaluate that).

But Brooks is, at worst, the 3rd best QB in Saints history.

Great arm and athleticism. He was not a very smart QB. He made some really questionable mistakes and it got more and more common once teams got more film on him. Winston has a very good arm and not nearly the athleticism of Brooks. He just needs to prove he can learn from his mistakes and be smart on the field.

Brooks got worse as Haslett became more exposed as a fraud of a HC.

It’s undeniable that Brooks made some knucklehead plays though... and seeing him smile and laugh immediately after got old real quick.

I think both of these things can be true:

1. Aaron Brooks played better in NO and won more important games than Jameis has to this point in his NFL career.

2. Jameis has a much higher ceiling and could far exceed what Brooks did in NO thanks to better coaching and a better roster than Brooks ever had.
I don’t see Jameis having a high ceiling. I also don’t think you can blame Arians for his interceptions. To me that’s all on him making bad reads of the defense. That’s something that has to be learned at a early college level. I also think our starting QB isn’t on the roster yet and I’d be willing to bet we’ll draft Mac Jones who’s accuracy and ability to read the defense are his strong points. By not paying Winston the Saints save on the cap hit and concentrate on signing any free agents we have.

I don’t see Jameis having a high ceiling. I also don’t think you can blame Arians for his interceptions. To me that’s all on him making bad reads of the defense. That’s something that has to be learned at a early college level. I also think our starting QB isn’t on the roster yet and I’d be willing to bet we’ll draft Mac Jones who’s accuracy and ability to read the defense are his strong points. By not paying Winston the Saints save on the cap hit and concentrate on signing any free agents we have.

Arians is certainly to blame in part, given what’s happened with QBs his first year working with them in the past. Brady was even struggling until they finally changed what they were doing offensively about 11 weeks in to suit his strengths more.

We’ll see. If forced to bet my mortgage right now, it would be Jameis starting. And I think he’ll do quite well here.

source.gif

source.gif

source.gif

source.gif
Like I said, a very long offseason

Arians is certainly to blame in part, given what’s happened with QBs his first year working with them in the past. Brady was even struggling until they finally changed what they were doing offensively about 11 weeks in to suit his strengths more.

We’ll see. If forced to bet my mortgage right now, it would be Jameis starting. And I think he’ll do quite well here.

I keep reading this but Brady only threw 4 picks the first 8 games of the season. 20 touchdowns and 4 picks through 8 games on a new team with no OTAs and a limited training camp.

I keep reading this but Brady only threw 4 picks the first 8 games of the season. 20 touchdowns and 4 picks through 8 games on a new team with no OTAs and a limited training camp.

This was when the change started:

And here’s part of a great breakdown by Nick Underhill:

“Tampa built its offense around Tom Brady. This might not have been the case as much early in the season, but as time went on, you started to see more and more of the things Brady did in New England pop up in Tampa Bay. Once the Bucs tailored to their QB, success followed. As always, the lesson is to fit what you do to your players, whether it’s the scheme or allowing your defensive end to rush from an upright position because that is how he is most comfortable.”

Bottom line: the offense changed during the season to reflect what Brady does best. Arians was finally willing to be flexible.

Aaron Brooks is underrated by many Saints fans. He had a canon for an arm, he was athletic, and he led the Saints to their 1st ever playoff victory.

Brooks made the 2002 Pro Bowl, and came in as 1st runner up (2nd place) in the QB competition. He beat out Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and others.

:gosaints:

“Tampa built its offense around Tom Brady. This might not have been the case as much early in the season, but as time went on, you started to see more and more of the things Brady did in New England pop up in Tampa Bay. Once the Bucs tailored to their QB, success followed. As always, the lesson is to fit what you do to your players, whether it’s the scheme or allowing your defensive end to rush from an upright position because that is how he is most comfortable.”

Bottom line: the offense changed during the season to reflect what Brady does best. Arians was finally willing to be flexible.

I’m well aware of what people say. It’s used as an excuse for Jameis’ 30 interceptions. I’m saying Brady only threw 4 in the first half of the season. 2 of them in the first game against us. And he threw just as many touchdowns the first half of the season as he did the second half of the season.

The fact that they changed midway through the season and Brady only threw 4 interceptions before that goes further to make my point. Brady’s strong point is his ability to read the defense and make the right passes. Jameis has a strong arm and a good running ability but he lacks the ability to read defenses. That is what caused him to throw all those interceptions.

The fact that they changed midway through the season and Brady only threw 4 interceptions before that goes further to make my point. Brady’s strong point is his ability to read the defense and make the right passes. Jameis has a strong arm and a good running ability but he lacks the ability to read defenses. That is what caused him to throw all those interceptions.

But they weren’t good. And that was after already adding the talent I mentioned.

Whether you’re losing because you can’t complete a pass or losing because you’re throwing picks doesn’t really matter. It’s still an L. And Brady had more talent around him.

I think this clears up just how bad he was at Tampa. There is no scheme that is going to make him magically be able to read the defense.

Except there is. Doesn’t matter how clean the pocket is if he’s not comfortable with the plays or scheme.

Just like it doesn’t matter how comfortable he is with the scheme if he doesn’t have a clean pocket, or at least reasonable time to throw.

It all matters. It all works together.

Brooks made the 2002 Pro Bowl, and came in as 1st runner up (2nd place) in the QB competition. He beat out Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and others.
One thing that always astounded me about Brooks was that he could throw 60 yards in the air and the ball wouldn't get above 20 feet in flight. He had a cannon. It's a pity that he never got quality coaching, but it worked out for the best for the Saints.

I want Ryam Fitzmagioc given our budget and drafting slot, wtf is wrong with just keeping on keeping on pushing off getting a QB til we luck into one. No one did Jameis any favors with his lack of play time this year, kinda sealed the opinion on him. Fitz numbers are way better than you may thin and he is way more obile than Drew of the last two years. Definitely could bond with Payton and cost less than Jameis.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom