Saints Buy or Sell: Jameis Winston (Good debate from CBS Sports) (1 Viewer)

You're totally right. No offseason at all, no minicamps, no OTAs, no preseason games, completely new offense, new offensive philosophy...super simple and easy.
I guess you have no clue about what’s expected out of college athletes and even more so out of professional athletes. My youngest son played jr college football and then 2 years at Ole Miss. He had 2 different coaches at the jr college level and 2 while at Ole Miss. In both cases the offense changed schemes. In both cases he was expected to know the playbook before he showed up for the first preseason practice. Not just most plays all of them. Since he was a center it was his responsibility to call out blocking assignments that would change by what the defense was showing them. His playbook at Ole Miss was a very full 3 ring binder with plays on both sides of each sheet. He never started a game at Ole Miss but he had to be prepared to come in at anytime. To think a professional athlete wouldn’t know the playbook well into the season is ludicrous. To say he wasn’t expected to know it is even crazier.

Or, and just hear me out because this is a heavy concept: he went with the guy he promised the backup position to, committed a pretty decent contract to, and who's been familiarized with the passing concepts for four years over the guy who didn't get an offseason program.
Snark aside I get what you’re saying. All of that being said the Saints have to make a call on Winston this offseason. Isn’t that what this thread is about? If you believe Winston is not good enough to supplant Hill then you have your answer: SELL.

My point above was that during practice and the offseason Payton UP TO THIS POINT has not seen enough to make him confident in Winston stepping in during Brees’ injury. Winston could be the future as his ceiling is much higher than Hill’s, but Winston’s floor is pretty freaking low as well. Maybe Payton plans on signing Winston to a new contract anyway, but based on your analysis I guess the Saints should Sell now.

70 starts... 28 wins.... 42 Loses.... Throws picks in his sleep... Was owned in our division for 5 seasons... I don't get the fanboyishness....

If Jameis had not been given a charity/reclamation roster spot last season by Sean... and let's say the Falcons were now openly pursuing him as a replacement for Matt Ryan...

The overwhelming sentiment here would be one of hilarious laughter and joy in the Falcons complete lack of foresight and imminent misfortune...

Yet we are having a discussion about him being a potential replacement for Brees....???

This discussion just over a year ago would have gotten you laughed off the planet... and now all of a sudden... he has a cheering section?

You know what has changed or been accomplished when it matters since he left Tampa... Nada!

If we have nothing else to choose from... I'll give him a super short rope of a chance to prove me wrong (simply because I trust Sean, and I love the Saints)... but the fanboyishness is super suspect, and silly.

LoL dude just stop. The support for Winston is based solely on the fact that as of now, he's our best option no matter how much u try to deflect. And apparently that sentiment is shared by CSP. The only "fanboyishness" goin on here is u & the likes wishing that Hill will get a starting spot he has yet to earn

Not having the off-season program isn’t an excuse. He had been with the team long enough to know the offense. Now if you want to say his timing with the WR’s is off that would probably be true.
This is how I feel. Brady didn’t have an offseason either. No one did. That being said Payton displayed a lack of confidence in Winston eve though he is saying he wants him back.

It could be that Payton believes Winston’s issues need a full offseason to work out. The question is how does he convince Winston he is the guy after choosing Hill last season?

Jameis’ problems have always been between his ears. He’s supremely talented physically, mentally he’s strong as well, with a 27 wonderlic score (same as Peyton Manning) but he’s been very immature throughout his life. I believe his bad decision making (on and off the field) has been a byproduct of his lack of maturity.

I’m not saying he’s the answer, but he’s shown signs of maturity since he left Tampa. He got married, changed his diet to take care of his body, signed a less lucrative contract so he could LEARN... These are all very good signs that the young man is maturing . Maybe this year, working with Drew and seeing how a MAN goes about being a quarterback in the NFL, put him on the right path.

I haven’t been in the building with him... Sean Payton has...If he’s seen enough maturity from him and wants to give him the reigns, I’m all in.

LoL dude just stop. The support for Winston is based solely on the fact that as of now, he's our best option no matter how much u try to deflect. And apparently that sentiment is shared by CSP. The only "fanboyishness" goin on here is u & the likes wishing that Hill will get a starting spot he has yet to earn
I don’t want him or Taysom starting for us so where does that put me. Payton is going to talk him up even if he thinks he sucks. Why would he do that well for many reason. He could be doing it because he wants to see him get paid by another team. He may want a sign and trade deal for him or any other of many different reasons. I like Taysom in the role he has now and nothing more He could win a few games but he could also lose you a few too, I really think our best bet I’d Mac Jones at this point. He’s accurate and has tremendous upside.

Jameis would be the best arm talent that Sean has ever worked with. His decision making skills are the variable. His arm is top 7 elite. He can make throws Brooks and Brees never dreamed of, the question is can he make them at the right time. I think its worth a try. Plus he can get 8-10 yards with legs when D plays back just like Mahomes and Wilson do. To me its a win/ win experiment

Jameis would be the best arm talent that Sean has ever worked with. His decision making skills are the variable. His arm is top 7 elite. He can make throws Brooks and Brees never dreamed of, the question is can he make them at the right time. I think its worth a try. Plus he can get 8-10 yards with legs when D plays back just like Mahomes and Wilson do. To me its a win/ win experiment
I disagree on many levels. I take it you never saw Archie, Jeff Blake, or Aaron Brooks throw the ball. Comparing him the Mahomes or Wilson is a damn joke. When have either one of those guys thrown 30 ints in a season. I would rather see the old “let em have it” as our starting QB.

I disagree on many levels. I take it you never saw Archie, Jeff Blake, or Aaron Brooks throw the ball. Comparing him the Mahomes or Wilson is a damn joke. When have either one of those guys thrown 30 ints in a season. I would rather see the old “let em have it” as our starting QB.
My dad watched every archie game is the sugar bowl and always tells me stories. Says he had 1 slow white wide receiver and no blockers. Ran for his life on every play. I watched every brooks game as a kid. I never saw jameis smile when losing which I did multiple times with Aaron. I say if Sean wants him, give him a chance. Tom freaking Brady threw what 12 ints his first year with Arians. 7 in 2 games against us?

I don’t want him or Taysom starting for us so where does that put me. Payton is going to talk him up even if he thinks he sucks. Why would he do that well for many reason. He could be doing it because he wants to see him get paid by another team. He may want a sign and trade deal for him or any other of many different reasons. I like Taysom in the role he has now and nothing more He could win a few games but he could also lose you a few too, I really think our best bet I’d Mac Jones at this point. He’s accurate and has tremendous upside.

I clearly said him & the likes of him. He's firmly been on the Taysom train thru sun & rain. If ur not on that ride like he's been then quit negrepping me like I was referring to u

And just bcuz u obviously think Winston sucks doesn't mean Payton does. How about another reason he could be talking him up is bcuz he mite genuinely thinks highly of the guy? U seem to think that's completely outside the realm of possibilities which is ridiculous

Jameis Winston was the first pick in the draft. Aaron Brooks was drafted in the 4th round and traded to the Saints for a lollipop and a snickers.
Brady was a 6th round pick and I think he’s done ok. Ryan Leaf was a 1st round pick and we all know about his hall of fame career.

I haven’t been in the building with him... Sean Payton has...If he’s seen enough maturity from him and wants to give him the reigns, I’m all in.

This is exactly how I feel. I really don't get those that think that it is somehow impossible for a young talented QB to improve with a change of scenery....we will see what happens....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom