Buy or Sell: Marshon Lattimore is the best shutdown corner in the league not named Stephon Gilmore (1 Viewer)

Sell. When it comes to resigning. I personally let him walk than pay him at this moment especially if it comes down to Ram, Kamara, and Latt. Latt is the odd man out for me personally.

AK would be the odd man out for me if we had to chose one to cut. That just comes down to positional value. As good as AK is (or can be) in our offense, we could replace him... even if it took 2 or even 3 backs to do it. A top CB and a top OT are extremely hard to come by and teams just don't let those guys walk.

And to further my case... Every team that has paid a RB a premium contract has had buyers remorse. CMC is next in line over in Carolina. I believe they'll get their money's worth for another year or two, then they'll have wished they didn't dedicate all that cap space to him. (hopefully that won't happen as I don't wish ill on any player, especially injury or wear and tear). But the RB position is brutal, especially when you get the # of touches McCaffery is getting.

Like it or not, the Defense flows through Lattimore. It might look bad, like the playoff game vs. Minnesota, but it works, and the instant he came off the field was when they scored their OT TD. (though to be fair, P-Rob had decent coverage, but since it was P-Rob and not Lattimore, they felt free to challenge P-Rob downfield).

So he's the Defensive MVP in my opinion - he's only one player, but he affects the entire Defense - we're completely different without him. Hopefully, he'll be mentally ready next time to pitch a shutout in the big game like we have come to expect. The meltdown was disappointing, but I'd still pick him #1 among all CB - As a Saints fan, I've never seen anything like him before.

He takes too many games to get going. He needs to work harder in the off-season.
can you imagine how slow he'll be without all the OTAs and stuff. think he wasnt in shape last year coming in and he had a full offseason.

but then again. i think most players will be slow coming in for the first month or so. so might not notice it.

If we have to rank down to the individual, my guess is when you dug deep into it you'd end up with him somewhere in the 4th best to 6th best range. He's not the best, but he's really close.

And he's still young.

Cool stat I just saw. Through three seasons, Lattimore has allowed an average of 1.67 TDs per season. I don't know about y'all, but that's top notch in my book.
1,870 coverage snaps, 246 targets and only 5 TDs allowed in 3 years. Y’all were saying? When lattimore is focused, he’s top 5 easily

Where did you guys see this at? Only place I can find stats on this is in PFR. This stat is fairly new on the website so It only has 2 seasons of it ('18 &'19).

Total: 178 targets, 102 completions ( 57%) & 6 TDs allowed.

No doubt these numbers look different with his rookie year being considered.

No question he has the ability to be the best CB in the NFL, he just needs to be more consistent....and perhaps more focused and driven in the offseason.....

This will be my make or break year for Lattimore, because he is very expensive signing. He is honestly a Michael Thomas level signing. A Thomas level signing has to be a leader and come to work everyday. He has improved as a leader in this past year , but what he'll be demanding just is still not worth it unless he really just goes to another level. I'm really hoping he does make that leap. I love the Grim Sleeper, but not at $17+ million per year.

It's honestly not even about how good he is... It's about how much he'll cost to retain is what giving me doubts. CB tend to move around the market a lot, because of their price tag.

Revis, the greatest CB of the 2000s, been on 5 teams.

For all those who say sell, let me throw out just a few names as a reminder.
Corey White, Champ Bailey, Brandon Browner. I know there are more, but those really stick out. These were guys who we were trying to make work as #2 corners! I personally don't want to return to those days.

Also, in 2015, Delvin Breaux had what was widely regarded as a “good” season. Yet, in that season, he allowed 10 Touchdowns. Marshon Lattimore has allowed 5 in 3 seasons.

Last edited:
Where did you guys see this at? Only place I can find stats on this is in PFR. This stat is fairly new on the website so It only has 2 seasons of it ('18 &'19).

Total: 178 targets, 102 completions ( 57%) & 6 TDs allowed.

No doubt these numbers look different with his rookie year being considered.

The Saints Facebook page shared the stat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom