Buyers Beware (1 Viewer)

CitySaint

SR is my life!
Reaction score
Buyers Beware: Current Blu-ray Players Won't Correctly Play Future Discs

After the past week, it seems more and more likely that Blu-ray will be the movie disc format of the future. But with the exception of the Playstation 3, current Blu-ray disc players were built without future-compatibility capabilities, so come this October owners won't be able to take advantage of features like Internet connectivity or enhanced interactivity (whatever that means—details are sketchy). "One key Blu-ray developer told BetaNews that although he builds discs for studios including Fox and Lionsgate, he did not buy a Blu-ray player for personal use." Regarding current Blu-ray player owners, Blu-ray developers told BetaNews, "They knew what they were getting into."

Buyers Beware

I don't think this will be the end of compatibility issues wit Blu-Ray. ZDNet had a nice article a few days ago about the potential problems that Blu-Ray player owners face as Sony considers feature adoption.

Pulled from what I wrote in the other thread:

an interesting article from zdnet that discusses the bleak future for HD DVD and how Blu Ray would benefit from the incorporation of some of the HD DVD features and the potential pitfalls consumers might be facing:

The part I found most interesting:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/carroll/?p=1785

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> The only wrinkle would be if Blu-ray manufacturers did something really stupid…such as release new Blu-ray discs that can’t be played in older Blu-ray players. Wait a sec…isn’t that exactly what the Blu-ray group is claiming must happen if they are to reach feature parity with HD DVD? </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
What happens if, down the road, the features are implemented and all of a sudden new hardware/players are required to play the new discs?

I dunno... I just don't like the entire way this format war has gone and I'd rather just wait for the digital downloads.

thats why I recommend the ps3.

I agree, but why don't they just make current players in the same format as the ps3. Why make players that are not flexible to futuristic upgrades and improvements? This sounds exactly like what happened to VCR's in their heyday. Beta tapes came out and everyone is buying those types of tapes and players, then all of a sudden VHS comes out and beta basically becomes useless. I know the older guys probably have better memories on that than me though.

city, beta was the better format, vhs won on price and availability. Mostly only commercial users would use the beta.

I agree, but why don't they just make current players in the same format as the ps3. Why make players that are not flexible to futuristic upgrades and improvements? This sounds exactly like what happened to VCR's in their heyday. Beta tapes came out and everyone is buying those types of tapes and players, then all of a sudden VHS comes out and beta basically becomes useless. I know the older guys probably have better memories on that than me though.

The format isn't the problem. Blu-Ray is blu-ray. The current and older blu-ray players will still play the movies on the new disks. The only difference is that you won't be able to make use of all the special features that are on the new disks.

The only reason the PS3 doesn't have this issue is because it has a network connection and the software can be easily upgraded. All other blu-ray players lack a network connection.

It's most likely FUD, but there is speculation, that the new discs will be created in a way that the old players can't recognize.

The funny thing is that I keep hearing that Blu-Ray is hte better product, but it really isn't, at least not yet. HD-DVD at this point is a more polished product and it's cheaper. Blu-Ray just has a better business plan -- control the content.

Personally, I don't care, I'm not in the market yet, so I can just sit back and watch...

The missing features are picture in picture and interactivity.

I don't want PIP I just want to watch the movie.

HD DVD described their plan for interactivity: They planned to have a feature that would highlight products within a movie and have a price tag along with a link to a place where the item could be purchased.

Imagine watching a movie and Jessica Alba's shirt gets highlighted in gold and a price-tag appears next to it. Use your remote to access the site where similar shirts can be purchased.

If that doesn't enhance your movie going experience nothing will.

You can keep that feature too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom