Buyers market in FA? (1 Viewer)

Blue

Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I was listening to Sirius NFL Radio yesterday and Ross Tucker and Scott Pioli were on instead of Shein and Gannon. Anyway, they were discussing the number of releases of quality players being cut saying there would be many more by the deadline. The flatness of the Cap and the backloading of contracts is making it hard for many players to keep their jobs. Pioli went on to say that the average team in the NFL at this moment is over 9M over the cap for 2014! He also said the cap was projected to remain flat next year.

It makes me wonder how QB salaries can continue to rise while the rest of the players are feeling the pinch. There may be some FA deals to be made. Players will be forced to take less to stay employeed and playing for good teams and coaches may play a bigger part in their decision process.

Does anyone understand how the cap is calculated and why it's flat? If it fails to grow, major change is going to come.

yeah, I've never seen this many good players let go, and I expect many more cuts

Cap is based on revenue for the entire league. Tv deals etc. I supported Drew in his big deal but sure hope he will do something to reduce his cap number now and in the future. The big deals as a rule are crazy. I think there should be something in place to say no single player can have a cap number above a certain percent of the total cap for the team. I doubt that will ever happen though. They reduced the rookie scale last contract now it is time to reduce the big contracts. One thing it is doing for the Saints though is we have some players that are paid way to much vs their value.
I am looking for more hard negotiations and restructures from Loomis.

They were saying that there are far reaching and transformational changes coming resulting from last years lockout that many players dont even understand yet. Many of them are finding out now. Sounds like it keeps getting better and better for the league.

They were saying that there are far reaching and transformational changes coming resulting from last years lockout that many players dont even understand yet. Many of them are finding out now. Sounds like it keeps getting better and better for the league.

Some of it, yes. But most of it isn't the players fault. Two reasons.....old contracts were negotiated when the revenue increased 10% every year...now that the revenues are flat, and they are flat for a few reasons basically...which is my 2nd point

Teams are forced to deal with the concussion lawsuits, and have to give money back to ex-players. That is coming from the total revenues side, and more and more money is taking away from active players, with the intent to be given to ex-players, which reduces the revenues. I don't have the exact figures, but it is expected to reach in the tens of millions.

But revenues do increase even after all that money is taken out from the general revenues....but they no longer go up by double digits. Of course the NFL tries desperately to increase revenues, but I heard just a few days ago that Direct TV is contemplating dropping the NFL packages, which would bring to the NFL a serious financial burden. That money might be like over $1 billion. And I have no idea who is willing to pick up the slack..?

A lot of solid players will be jobless.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

this may let some nice talent fall to us at a discounted rate.... I like it

We're under the 2014 cap by $14 million. We only have 37 players under contract but, we should be in better shape then this year,

I was listening to Sirius NFL Radio yesterday and Ross Tucker and Scott Pioli were on instead of Shein and Gannon. Anyway, they were discussing the number of releases of quality players being cut saying there would be many more by the deadline. The flatness of the Cap and the backloading of contracts is making it hard for many players to keep their jobs. Pioli went on to say that the average team in the NFL at this moment is over 9M over the cap for 2014! He also said the cap was projected to remain flat next year.

It makes me wonder how QB salaries can continue to rise while the rest of the players are feeling the pinch. There may be some FA deals to be made. Players will be forced to take less to stay employeed and playing for good teams and coaches may play a bigger part in their decision process.

Does anyone understand how the cap is calculated and why it's flat? If it fails to grow, major change is going to come.

This couldn't happen at a better time for us. We have the opportunity to add a great mix of veterans with 1-3 years left with some players that have a lot of unrealized potential. We may be able to remake our defense very quickly if things fall into place for us. Seeing all the defensive players available that are much better than anything currently on our roster is a sight for sore eyes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom