Buying a car in this economy (1 Viewer)

I’ve hear good things about Carmax. Everything from not being pushy, to taking the car back within 7 days if you have buyers remorse, not happ with it.

I highly recommend Carmax.. ive bought my last three cars there, and the process has been painless and, dare i say, enjoyable.. Will you get the absolute rock-bottom, dirt cheap price? Nope.. But all the vehicles I’ve gotten there have been in such good condition and well-maintened that there’s no way you could differentiate them from a brand new vehicle.. Even though i work in sales (healthcare) for a living, i love their no-haggle policy because i hate dealing with car salespeople... The best part about Carmax is that you can search their website for the exact vehicle you want from all over the country, and have it delivered to you, or like I’ve done in the past- buy a one-way plane ticket then drive it home.. I’m picky, and if I’m spending $25k or more, , i want the exact vehicle with the exact options i want.... I usually go with vehicles from there that are 2-3 yrs old, with 30k-40k miles on them.. I’ll never buy new again, and Carmax , to me, has many of the benefits of buying at a new car dealership, without the drawbacks.

I highly recommend Carmax.. ive bought my last three cars there, and the process has been painless and, dare i say, enjoyable.. Will you get the absolute rock-bottom, dirt cheap price? Nope.. But all the vehicles I’ve gotten there have been in such good condition and well-maintened that there’s no way you could differentiate them from a brand new vehicle.. Even though i work in sales (healthcare) for a living, i love their no-haggle policy because i hate dealing with car salespeople... The best part about Carmax is that you can search their website for the exact vehicle you want from all over the country, and have it delivered to you, or like I’ve done in the past- buy a one-way plane ticket then drive it home.. I’m picky, and if I’m spending $25k or more, , i want the exact vehicle with the exact options i want.... I usually go with vehicles from there that are 2-3 yrs old, with 30k-40k miles on them.. I’ll never buy new again, and Carmax , to me, has many of the benefits of buying at a new car dealership, without the drawbacks.

same here- last 4 vehicles for wife and daughter all thru Carmax.

We had a 2017 MDX that had a transmission issue day after we took home. They found another exact same in Northeast and shipped it here, free of charge and swapped out the vehicles. No issues. They stand behind their vehicles and have access to nationwide network.

My friends in the industry tell me that in 3 - 6 months the availability of new cars will steadily start to increase. This will start driving down prices.

If you can wait a little longer, I say wait.

My friends in the industry tell me that in 3 - 6 months the availability of new cars will steadily start to increase. This will start driving down prices.

If you can wait a little longer, I say wait.
I will try to hold on as long as possible.

I love my car. It’s an infinite, and has lasted 230k miles, so there hasn’t been much to complain about (other than luxury car insurance prices, and the car taking premium gas).

My commute to work (and this is what the car will be used for) is 64 miles round trip, so about 1,380 miles a month, or 16,64 miles a year. So that would probably leave me paying extra then.

Yeah i mean you could theoretically negotiate for more miles on the lease- but of course you’ll pay for the privilege .. either way, they will find a way to ‘get you’ with a lease…. I prefer buying outright, b/c , again theoretically, i could pay the thing off , keep it forever, and never have another car payment again.. but most people, of course, dont wind up doing it that way .

Considering the market, I would only consider a new car. Used car's are overpriced and there will be a collapse at some point. Beyond that it's a matter of finding what you want/need. There are some vehicles out there that are at accessible prices.

You've mentioned your commute, what are your other needs?

Considering the market, I would only consider a new car. Used car's are overpriced and there will be a collapse at some point. Beyond that it's a matter of finding what you want/need. There are some vehicles out there that are at accessible prices.

You've mentioned your commute, what are your other needs?
We have a Pacifica, so hauling the kids around is done in that car. My car is solely for getting me back and forth to work, and to client meetings. If I didn’t have to meet with clients I would buy a clunker, and ride it till it died.

We have a Pacifica, so hauling the kids around is done in that car. My car is solely for getting me back and forth to work, and to client meetings. If I didn’t have to meet with clients I would buy a clunker, and ride it till it died.
The Avalon is being discontinued so they are able to be found without much mark up over MRSP. This one is a hybrid for example:

I believe I found a replacement vehicle (Acura) however it’s in New Jersey. Is anyone familiar with buying a car online? Are there questions that I should ask the vendor since I am not able to see the car in person?
Is it a new or used car?

I believe I found a replacement vehicle (Acura) however it’s in New Jersey. Is anyone familiar with buying a car online? Are there questions that I should ask the vendor since I am not able to see the car in person?

I have bought cars online. If it's new, you definitely want to ask them to confirm details. Like ask them specifically if it has been damaged or had any parts replaced since the dealer received it - and ask them to provide any records they have since receiving it (i.e. any service). Even if it looks brand new, having them confirm it gives you more backup if you learn that it had. And definitely confirm mileage - like even for a photo of the odometer. If there are more than 2,000 miles, I'd argue that it should be priced as a demo. Also, if you haven't seen it in a video (only photos), ask them to take a walk-around video of the car.

Also get the full payment workup before you commit - some states tack on line items you might not be familiar with (Jersey seems a candidate for that kind of thing). This would help avoid any surprises at final settlement.

If it's used, you want to have it looked over by an independent service outfit.

I have bought 2 cars from Carvana (both a couple years old) and was pleased.

Welcome to the Honda family

bought online an ordinary car trade-in from an exotic sports dealer in houston

paid a couple hundred bucks for a local survey mechanic to look it over at the lot

agreed on a price, flew 1w to houston and drove back to atl same day

still looks good and runs well at 244k; money well spent for the once over imo

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom