Buying a car.... suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
As some of you know, I got rear-ended by a dump truck awhile back... well it took this long for them to decide the car is totalled.. so I have to get a new car. I'm looking in the $15-22k range. I know a lot about the different options and stuff that are available but I know some of you are more in tune with who has the best deals lately and stuff like that. I'm looking for a small, sporty type of car. I'm not extremely concerned with gas mileage.. mostly about looks, comfort, reliablity, and price.

i just bought a 2007 toyota camry for my old lady for 20k. good looking car, pretty roomy and I hope its reliable.

Get one with four wheels.
and paint, you need paint.
A transmission would probably be good too.
Glad I could help.

Scion TC you wont be disappointed they start at about 17000, the insurance is dirt cheap for some reason too its about 100 dollars less a month for me then a civic and has a larger engine and costs more then the civic

I really dig the Mazdaspeed 3. That's a sweet little car.

Just make sure that it isn't an American car and you'll be fine. I'd get a Honda or a Toyota. I'm still loving my 03' Civic.

Don't blow money on buying new. Shop around and find a program car you like. You'll save thousands and they've usually worked any of the bugs out by then. I've blown way too much money in the past buying new vehicles. The only way I'd buy new anymore is if i can walk in with cash money for a once in a lifetime ride.

BMW, including Mini-Coopers. 22K will get you a Cooper, but not a new BMW.

Absolute best car for the money regardless if your budget is for a beater or a beauty. Truly a driving machine, as they say, in both senses. They perform. Parts wear out but do not break. A heck of a hoot, funwise. 22K will get you a certified 00-03 3-series. You can beat the hell out the mutha for 150-200k without even fleeting thoughts of concern. Replace fluids. Have fun.

I've had 3 so far, ranging from beater to beauty. I have no intentions of ever driving anything else, ever. Including if I have to buy a 1979 320i for $500 to live in.

If this is a pragmatic purchase, think of it this way: you pay for what you get. It's a driving machine that you can rely on for 10-15 years easily, all the while looking back and smiling as you would a pretty girl every time you get out of her.

No, I'm not an employee.

My girlfriend got a 2005 350Z touring edition with 4k miles and 100k full warranty for $28k. She got rid of her 2003 Z without all the extras for $19k and it only had 28k miles on it. The insurance is less on the Z than you would expect because it is a V6 and has a very good crash rating. I have more fun driving that car than any other I have owned or driven (and it is a lot). It is quick but the handling makes it great. The only question is can you deal with a 2 seater?

Man, at least look into it. For what they charge for Buicks and Hondas, you can spend a little more and get a return on lost money to begin with. Take a test drive. See what they have to say. In all honesty, the worst part apart about dealing with a BMW is dealing with the dealer. Snotty attitude, charge too much, etc. Same complaints everyone has about everything. The difference is suggestions for maintenance vs. strapping you for cash.

They build a superior machine. Skihl makes a good saw. Cost X vs. the crappy one. Save X-20%, get junk and end up spending 150% next year later for a replacement, or dish out in the first place and not have to buy a new one?

Last week, I bought a Dark Blue 2003 Ford Mustang GT Convertible with black leather interior. She has 42,000 miles and looks like new. I got her from Carmax; they have dealers all over the country (nearest one to NOLA is, I think, in Houston), but they have a website where you can search their inventory all over the country and, if you like a certain car, you can have it shipped to the nearest dealer. They only sell used cars that are in great condition, and they have a no-haggle pricing policy. I've been surfing their website for months, and last week found my baby at the LAX Carmax, which is only about 5 miles from me. I stole her for $16,000- Bluebook is 20K. The great thing about American cars is that they lose a lot of value in the first couple years- unlike foreign cars, esp, BMW which maintain their value- and I bought a 3 yr, 36k mi. ext. warranty so I'm covered. Plus, I got A LOT of car for the $$. She's a beast, and looks Bad-***. Check out carmax.com....

Check out carmax.com....

I'll be in the market for a new vehicle in March/April. You're the second person this week I've seen or heard recommend Carmax. I guess I should look into them. However, as I commented in the Walmart thread...Carmax is the beginning of the slippery slope that will put pressure on small town "mom and pop" car dealerships and potentially drive many of them out of business. Would you ever consider it better to have paid more money at a local dealership to help keep that small local business afloat?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom