Buying a car.... suggestions? (1 Viewer)

i love my g35 coupe, but new is going to be out of your price range.
add a couple of bucks and pick up a C class...
the 07s are very nice and the sport edition sedan will be amazing (410 horses)...

you must check out that new Saturn sport coupe thing for me.....in your price range and looks sweet.

You can get 3 Kia Rio's.

Toyota makes a 2-door version of the Camry called a Solara or Solaris...something like that. It is a good-looking car that starts out in your price range. The sticker price on the upper-echelon models are above t=your ceiling but I'm sure you can negotiate. I will be getting a new car next year about this time and unless I change my mind, it will be that car.

I have to agree with Ted here. In the current market, the new Mazda Speed 3 is probably the best value for a sports car. The Camry is nice, but it's not very sporty. My wife has the Mazda 5 and has had no trouble with it. It's a compact mini-van and despite only being a 4-cylinder, it handles well. They use the same engine in the Mazda 3 and it weighs a lot less so it should have plenty of power and handle really well.

In fact, I looked at them on Edmunds.com and they rated them very high on performance and reliability. I also think they look really good.

By the way Furcal, when you go to buy make sure you use Edmunds.com to get the actual selling price for any car and then deal with the dealers through their internet sales department. You should have no trouble getting the car for the price Edmunds gives you and they won't even haggle with you over price.

I'll be in the market for a new vehicle in March/April. You're the second person this week I've seen or heard recommend Carmax. I guess I should look into them. However, as I commented in the Walmart thread...Carmax is the beginning of the slippery slope that will put pressure on small town "mom and pop" car dealerships and potentially drive many of them out of business. Would you ever consider it better to have paid more money at a local dealership to help keep that small local business afloat?

..I hear ya, PE, but I believe that this is just the wave of the future and it's inevitable. Some people (like yourself, possibly) will always be more interested in personal service- though Carmax's customer service is excellent- and that local "flavor." if so, more power to you...

Toyota makes a 2-door version of the Camry called a Solara or Solaris...something like that. It is a good-looking car that starts out in your price range. The sticker price on the upper-echelon models are above t=your ceiling but I'm sure you can negotiate. I will be getting a new car next year about this time and unless I change my mind, it will be that car.

That's a girl car.

I'll be in the market for a new vehicle in March/April. You're the second person this week I've seen or heard recommend Carmax. I guess I should look into them. However, as I commented in the Walmart thread...Carmax is the beginning of the slippery slope that will put pressure on small town "mom and pop" car dealerships and potentially drive many of them out of business. Would you ever consider it better to have paid more money at a local dealership to help keep that small local business afloat?

There are not "mom and pop" car dealerships, especially not any selling new cars. Besides, cars aren't priced like toothpaste,nor you get a 33% APR from a shady toothpaste broker.

3 of the last 4 cars I've bought , I bought from Carmax, and I'm hardpressed to buy from anyone else. The buying experience is great, absolutely no pressure or bait and switch, you get to choose rates from different banks; they back up their warranties and recalls like no other... so it is not just about price.

Cars I'm looking at:

new Scion tC, used BMW 3-series, used Infiniti G35, Used 350Z, new Pontiac G5

OKA, I've had to take my 330 in four times in the 14 months I've had it. It's still under warranty, but from what I hear, once that's gone, repairs on BMWs are very expensive. Oh, and service at Brian Harris BMW (the only dealer in town) SUCKS ***.

If you can find a G35 in that range, I'd jump all over that. If I han't had to get a convertible, that's what I'd have gotten. It's a great car.

Cars I'm looking at:

new Scion tC, used BMW 3-series, used Infiniti G35, Used 350Z, new Pontiac G5

...BMW's and Infinities aren't used, they're "Pre-Owned" :ezbill: ... Of the cars you listed, I'd defintely go with a used Beemer or G35; I'd have looked at BMWs myself but EVERYONE in L.A. has one- it's kind of annoying, so I went the All-American muscle-car route with my Mustang GT Convetible (plus, I've always wanted one.) Despite Ted's experience, i know that BMWs are usually very reliable. Also, re. buying new v. used, I've done both and I'd be hard-pressed to ever buy new again unless I had money to burn...

The most practical thing you could do is try to get one of the new Toyota Camry's. Sweet looking car that will last you forever.

Personally, I would stay away from BMW and all european cars for that matter. They are nice cars but when they break, it hurts the wallet. Not only that, you buy one and put 20-30 thousand miles on it, you'll have negative equity(sp?) out the wazoo unless you put down a huge down payment. Really not worth it in my opinion.

I have a Jag and absolutely hate it. It runs like a charm, but it's a major piece of crap otherwise. I can't keep tires on it and nobody knows what's wrong. Little things keep breaking that cost BIG money.

I love my G Coupe, but the thing gets terrible gas milege, even if i didnt drive like a maniac. You can get a base model at a really good deal NEW right now. If you are going to get a G, i suggest going to the dealer. You should be able to get a really good deal on a Coupe. The new coupe (skyline GTR) will debut in 08, so they are discounting the 06s significantly. I actually bought my G in baton rouge and I can not say enough good things about BR Infiniti. If you want to go that route, PM me and I will give you the scoop on who to speak to...

If you want to spend a bit more and want to stay away from the coupe, the new 07 G sedan is amazing. It actually has more horses than the coupe (if you get the sports edition) and has some serious extras on the base model...

If you are set at your price, I still say go with a C class...

Ok, here are my recommendations in your price range:

Small Car:
1. Mazda 3 A small car with a Lexus like class leading interior.
2. Honda Civic The standard bearer of small cars but the Mazda's interior is superior
3. Chevy HHR A surprisingly good car. Interior looks terrrible in gray but great in beige.

Midsize

1. Saturn Aura - King of the hill IMO. Bar none the best midsize sedan I've driven.
2. Nissan Altima - a close second. CVT tranny takes getting used to.
3. Ford Fusion - The bargain of this group. 4cyl is available with a stick if thats your thing.

Trucks

1. Toyota Tachoma - undisputed champ of small"er" trucks.
2. Ford F-150 - HUGE bargains to be had for a full size.
3. 06 GMC Sierra - On clearance because the 07 is a totally new model.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom