Buying a fried turkey? (1 Viewer)

It's really pretty easy if you have the proper outdoor rig. The only real danger is when you put the bird in at the start of cooking. You just have to lower the bird in slowly so that the oil doesn't boil over when the cold bird is put in.

You should also put the bird in the pot when cold and fill with water to a level over the bird, but low enough to be safe. Then pull the bird out and mark the water line inside the pot with an awl. That line is the highest safe level that you can fill that pot with oil.

If you do those two things, and avoid knocking the pot over, it's really a pretty safe thing to do. You just have to use common sense.

I'm actually frying two birds this weekend for my mother-in-law's birthday. I hope I don't do anything stupid and burn the house down.;)

good advice from widge....my pot already has the line marked on the inside for the oil...it also has the instructions for frying etched into the lid....this thread is making me want to fry one tonight!!!

It's really pretty easy if you have the proper outdoor rig. The only real danger is when you put the bird in at the start of cooking. You just have to lower the bird in slowly so that the oil doesn't boil over when the cold bird is put in.

You should also put the bird in the pot when cold and fill with water to a level over the bird, but low enough to be safe. Then pull the bird out and mark the water line inside the pot with an awl. That line is the highest safe level that you can fill that pot with oil.

If you do those two things, and avoid knocking the pot over, it's really a pretty safe thing to do. You just have to use common sense.

I'm actually frying two birds this weekend for my mother-in-law's birthday. I hope I don't do anything stupid and burn the house down.;)

Good advice..

also,this would be in the common sense dept. Keep the kids and pets in the house while doing the frying and keep the unit away from your vehicle (s).

And wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt...the grease bubbles up pretty good when you sink the bird into it..especially duck because of the high fat content.

good eating..i'll be doing one turkey..one duck on T-Day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom