Buying a new car/truck. (1 Viewer)

Ok so i went to costco .com and it seems that, like everything else, the tire world has changed completely in the last year in re to post-covid inflation and availability.. they had mostly Bridgestone and BF Goodrich, the one Michelin it looks like they have arent the Defenders.. and they are about $900.. so , yeah…. Still might be worth checking the local Costco on Carrolton, might be a lot different than what‘s on the website.

Ok so i went to costco .com and it seems that, like everything else, the tire world has changed completely in the last year in re to post-covid inflation and availability.. they had mostly Bridgestone and BF Goodrich, the one Michelin it looks like they have arent the Defenders.. and they are about $900.. so , yeah…. Still might be worth checking the local Costco on Carrolton, might be a lot different than what‘s on the website.
yea, I was looking on the site as well. I loaded the defenders in cart with installation at Sams and they would be about 870 with tax. I don't have a problem paying that. The defender gets good ratings everywhere but dry braking and handling. Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 9.06.37 AM.png

finally going to be able to go get my fathers truck out of his estate. The vehicle is 4 hours away and I will have to drive it back tomorrow. It hasn't been driven much since he passed in Feb 2020. I wonder what things I should look for possible issues for one sitting that long. Other than battery obviously.
Depending on how much gas is in it, I'd bring a few 5 gal cans and top it off. That way if the eth started separating, it may mix well enough to run right.

General makes a solid tire IMO. My personal preference is Falken but I'm exclusively using All Terrain or Mud Terrain tires.

Depending on how much gas is in it, I'd bring a few 5 gal cans and top it off. That way if the eth started separating, it may mix well enough to run right.
luckily it had less than a quarter tank so I filled it with supreme before driving it back. Didn't sense any issues with the engine at all. Tires definitely have to be addressed pronto.

Ive been ubering everywhere for a month now. I have no issues spending what this truck needs to feel loved.

I would pick up a bottle of SeaFoam, since its been sitting up and pour suggested amount into a full tank of gas and the suggested amount into the crankcase.

1639504560390.png

I know you already settled on tires but a few years back I purchased "Nankang" from Discount Tire and had them delivered. I bought them for my wife's 4Runner who travels 5k-10k in one year so not much use. The tire shop that mounted them for me, had told me, people do not realize but Nankang is a really good tire and he recommends them, I was like good to hear because I was just trying to buy a high rated cheap tire that seemed like the reviews weren't bots, he was like nope "great tire". Fast forward, a year later I purchased some expensive Cooper tires for my than F150, biggest piece of work I ever bought, the tire wear was unbelievable at just one year and nowhere close to the mileage warranty. The Nankang's @ 3 years old still look great.

I'm kinda tired of waiting on electric trucks so I'm now leaning towards getting what I hope will be my last ICE based pickup. GM just gave a major interior update to their pickups and is about to release the Silverado ZR2. It's their top of the line off road truck that pretty much competes with the Tundra TRD Pro and Ford Tremor. However, unlike those two, the Silverado has a front diff locker, which will be extremely handy on the mountain trails I frequent.

I had to talk to almost a dozen Chevy dealers but I found one that will honor GM's Supplier pricing. That will let me get one a 1% below invoice. My order is in and now I just wait, and wait, and wait, and wait..

For anyone that's curious, you can look at it here: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-vehicles/2022-silverado

Logic tells me that the insane mark ups on large three row SUVs will crash hard when chip supply recovers and fuel prices stay high. I really like the look of the new Sequoia, but I think we are three years out from actually going to a dealership and being able to test drive them. I need an interim vehicle that seats 6 that isn't an overpriced pile of GM junk.

Buying used cars is even worse. Carvana and the like have cornered the market and jacked up prices to crazy levels. I think I'll need to ride with what we have for another year or so.

Buying used cars is even worse. Carvana and the like have cornered the market and jacked up prices to crazy levels. I think I'll need to ride with what we have for another year or so.
I was lucky to find the barely used car that I bought last Sept thru Carfax for the price I paid (plus I got more than I expected for my trade in and I got a good financing rate) after browsing Carmax, Carvana, and Vroom for the same car and seeing the prices they were going for w/ them...

I was lucky to find the barely used car that I bought last Sept thru Carfax for the price I paid (plus I got more than I expected for my trade in and I got a good financing rate) after browsing Carmax, Carvana, and Vroom for the same car and seeing the prices they were going for w/ them...
Yep, my daughter bought a used 2019 Hyundai Elantra in the summer of 2020 and it's worth 3k more now than when she bought it even though she's more than doubled the mileage.

One of my kids wrecked our van a couple of months ago and it was totaled, but the money from that isn't anywhere near enough to buy a reasonably recent vehicle. I haven't had a car note in 20+ years and really don't want to start now. Meh.

That was then, try and find that deal now on any of those web based dealerships.

My next payment is due soon and that will bring me down to less than a year and a half left to pay on mine. My interest rate is less than 3% so there really isn't much of an incentive to pay if off any earlier.

I'm getting mailers periodically from the dealer where I bought the car and they are now going with the double-barrel marketing tactics of trying to get me in for an estimate because my car is probably worth more than I think (and that may or may not be true because it has a lot of bells and whistles, but a deer and two accidents will put a ding in the value, even though the repairs were done perfectly with OEM parts), and the second part is if I'm not interested in possibly trading mine in (I'm not - I love it) then bring it to them for all the maintenance needs.

I'm all about selling high, but I'm not about to sell high and then buy even higher. I love my car - I was putting 27k+ miles per year when I was commuting over an hour each way, but with the pandemic and my current employer where the office location cuts off half the driving I was doing and now I can also work from home. I just did the calculations last week and I have driven 12.5k miles total in 2 years, which includes a few out of state and back trips.

My car is in fantastic shape and I'm so fortunate that I don't need to get into the market to buy a new one. It's crazy out there. That said, I might get a wild hair one day and take it down there and ask to see what value they would give me for it. That might be kind of fun.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom