Buying A Truck Help. (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
My parents are looking to buy me a truck for Christmas, and are looking for a new(06,07) small sized truck. It needs to be in the $18,300 and under, before T.T.L., price range. I don't need much. All I need is an automatic, air conditon, and a CD Player. Anything else would be lagniappe. Sooo any ideas?

I didn't want to post this in the same thread as the guy looking for a car, so I started a new one.

you can probably get a full size chevy extended cab for that price. that is what I would want, a small truck sucks because you dont have enough room.

Mazda B Series starts at $16,000

Toyota Tacoma starts at $14,000

Toyota Tundra starts at $16,000

Nissan Frontier starts at $16,000

Isuzu i-290 starts at $14,000

GMC Canyon starts at $14,500wo

Chevy Colorada starts at $14,500

Ford Ranger starts at $15,400

Ford 150 starts at $18,200

The only 2 companies that really didn't have anything new for that price range was Dodge (Dodge Dakota starts at $19,800) and Mitsubishi (Mitsubishi Raider starts at $19,200). For the price, I personally like the Tacoma Access cab (around $17,500). However, I drive a Honda Civic so I might not be the best of people to listen to about buying a pickup.

If and I say IF you want a "SMALL" truck I say go with the Colorado... I really liked it.

Mazda B Series starts at $16,000

Toyota Tacoma starts at $14,000

Toyota Tundra starts at $16,000

Nissan Frontier starts at $16,000

Isuzu i-290 starts at $14,000

GMC Canyon starts at $14,500wo

Chevy Colorada starts at $14,500

Ford Ranger starts at $15,400

Ford 150 starts at $18,200

The only 2 companies that really didn't have anything new for that price range was Dodge (Dodge Dakota starts at $19,800) and Mitsubishi (Mitsubishi Raider starts at $19,200). For the price, I personally like the Tacoma Access cab (around $17,500). However, I drive a Honda Civic so I might not be the best of people to listen to about buying a pickup.
Thanks. But the problem is that you can never find them for that price, or close to it.
We went to Houma look around at all the different places last weekend, and all we could find for under that price was the Chevy Colorado's and the GMC Canyon's. Which is what I'll probably end up with.(Not a bad thing)

In the newspaper there was an add for the Mitsubishi Raider's for $14,995, but when my parents went to the dealer all they had was $20,000+. Apparently, they had "sold" all the advertised ones.

I am also considering a Jeep Wrangler, but am running into the same problems. $20,000+.

Is it possible it may be cheaper to buy a car in New Orleans compared to Houma?

you can probably get a full size chevy extended cab for that price. that is what I would want, a small truck sucks because you dont have enough room.
We are looking into a small truck because you could get more "luxuries" on a small truck compared to a big truck. But if we could find a full-sized for that price then that is what we will get.

Is it possible it may be cheaper to buy a car in New Orleans compared to Houma?

Each dealership will be different. The problem with only find the more expensive models is because they've added on all the extras. Those prices are for the bare bones edition. If thats something you are fine with, you might have one special ordered. Most dealerships won't offer this to you since they don't make as much money. But, you could order the one you like, in the color and with the items you want...and thus keep it in the pricerange you are looking for. However, this does take a lot longer...generally an extra month or so.

We are looking into a small truck because you could get more "luxuries" on a small truck compared to a big truck. But if we could find a full-sized for that price then that is what we will get.

i paid 23k for this 2007 in opelousas so I dont see why you couldnt find a extended cab full size for around 18k. power windows, locks, mirrors, cd, ac. but that is all pretty much basic on every truck now. the big wheel package was around 2k so I believe you can find a full size extended cab for around 18k.

IMG_0804.JPG

also they came down about 4000 off of the msrp on my truck so dont think that a truck with a msrp of 21k is out of your range.

right now they have a 2500 dollar rebate on extended cab

Last edited:
They will come down at least $4k. My truck had a sticker of $38,100 and I got them down to $25,300. I got it back in July and it is a 2006 Chevy Z-71 fully loaded. I wouldn't expect that much of a discount off MSRP but you can get a lot off. In my case I waited until the 2007 Chevy's started shipping out and got a great deal on the older body style.

If I had your budget I wouldn't hesitate to get a Nissan Titan. That is what I had before I bought the Chevy. It was a base model 4dr that I got for $19500. I'm sure if you shopped around a little you can find an extended cab for your price.

The key to buying is being patient, giving several dealerships your number, tell them what you want and leave. Each time they call tell them another dealership has them beat until you get your price. In my case I told them the truck I wanted and told them I wanted it for $25,500. They laughed at me when I told them saying they could never get it that low but I did and it took about two weeks.

Are you financing?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom