Buying gifts for every one? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Do you or your S/O buy gifts for everyone in the family or just all the kids?

We used to buy for all the aunts and uncles, 7 of them just on my side, but stopped two years ago. We also used to buy for our sibling's and cousin's kids. Now that everyone is having multiple kids, we are thinking of stopping. There's 12 kids now and though they were not expensive gifts, they add up quickly and it seems that these kids get far too many gifts. I am wondering how many buy gifts for most or all their relatives?

I think this year we are going all scrooge and just buying for our parents, siblings, and godchildren.

The wife, the kids, my parents (not sure she got anything for her parents), and my friend's two kids (cause we often go over to their house for part of christmas).

That's about it. We don't bother with her nephews. Maybe here and there.

I know other people who go nuts getting stuff for every single member of their family, and often it's people who can't really afford that.

On my husband's side we don't exchange gifts at all. Used to with his parents, but now that they're gone we just get together for a meal.

On my side all the kids draw names and they buy one gift for the cousin whose name they draw. The adults just bring one gift and put who it's from on the tag, then we pile them up and each adult picks out a gift for themselves. A few years back, they introduced "stealing" meaning when you pick, you can either pick a new gift, or take somebody's gift they already opened. Then if you take somebody's gift, they get to pick a new one or steal somebody else's gift. Once a gift has been stolen twice, it can't be stolen again. It's a fun time.

We have a $50 limit on the gifts also, but obviously you can spend anything you want. Often the younger adults don't spend that much.

We don't buy for everyone, but that does not stop my wife from grossly overspending at this time of year. :covri:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom