"Buying into latest myth can get teams burned" (1 Viewer)

d3vanj

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Every so often, an apparent new trend pops up in the NFL that gets its legs for some unfounded reason. And it usually involves a concept that teams can get by with inferior players at a certain position.

As one GM said to me at the owners' meetings this week, "I hope the latest myth floating around here lasts until after the draft, because I want a certain position to fall to me." Another GM looked at me and laughed when I asked him what he thought of the latest myth.
...(continued in link below)

Buying into latest myth can get teams burned

Draft DRC. :9:

Last edited:
My only problem with taking a corner in round 1 is I really don't see any rookie at that position making an impact this season. And I wanna win it all this year. Screw next year.

My only problem with taking a corner in round 1 is I really don't see any rookie at that position making an impact this season. And I wanna win it all this year. Screw next year.

True, but would you rather stay bad at CB, or get somebody who in 1 or 2 years will get 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 picks a year and completely lock down his side of the field? DRC has the potential to be that guy, and such a huge upside, but only if he can tap into it and get some better coaching.

Good article.

Al Davis years ago said that the most important positions were quarterback, and then offensive left tackle and pass rushers, and then cornerback. Be able to throw and protect the quarterback. Be able to stop the pass.

Look, there are different ways to win in the NFL. Historically teams have placed a premium on certain positions--quarterback, offensive tackle, defensive linemen, cornerback--and have tended to downgrade other positions--interior offensive line, fullback, tight end, inside linebackers, safeties. But there are different ways to win.

I do agree totally with this: If players after their college career are zooming up and down your charts based on combine and personal workouts, you have bad scouts. It seems to me that if you have the right scouts, you should not not terribly surprised or influenced by workout numbers.

You might want to edit that so that you don't have the entire article there. Anyway, I read this article earlier tonight and it's a very good read and very compelling.

I'd definitely love to somehow land one of DTs, but after that I'd go ahead and take DRC/Mckelvin .

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom