Richard

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Who am I?

NFL Draft Scout profile:
STRENGTHS:
Has the leg drive to push the pile and keeps his legs churning through contact, often resulting in broken tackles. Reads his blocks nicely, showing enough lateral agility to avoid defenders as well as the burst to stick his foot in the ground and accelerate through gaps quickly.

He's a well-built back, but shows good balance (including an often-used spin move) and athleticism (leaping ability) to surprise defenders anticipating that all he has is power. Runs tough and determined with an angry attitude to finish each run and pick up positive yardage.

WEAKNESSES: Needs to stay healthy as he's been hampered at times with foot injuries (ankle sprains, turf toe). Put the ball on the ground a few times early in his career, but improved in this area.

COMPARES TO: Michael Bush, RB, Chicago Bears - Both have the power to run over defenders while also possessing surprisingly fluid feet for their big frames.

You could be excused for thinking it was a profile of Chris Ivory. It is almost exactly how I would characterize Ivory's running style -- runs with attitude to finish runs and surprises those who think that he is only a power back. Even the references to injuries and fumbling are similar. Lacy is considered the consensus best RB in this year's draft based on college performance and postseason workouts, while Ivory is judged by many to be worth a late round draft pick based largely on factors other than performance on the field.

So what's the difference in the two backs? Ivory had a faster 40 time with a low of 4.42, a pro day of 4.48 and a high of 4.59. Lacy had a low of 4.52, a pro day of 4.64 and a high of 4.68. Ivory was better in the 10-yard split 1.54 to 1.65 and the 20, 2.60 to 2.65. Maybe Lacy had more explosion as measured by his vertical jump? Nope. Ivory had a 36" vertical compared to Lacy's 33.5. Agility? Ivory ran the 3-cone drill in 7.20, while Lacy turned in a 7.33. While I couldn't find broad jump numbers for Lacy, I can't imagine he would have done better than Ivory's 9'11".

Of course, combine and pro day drill numbers aren't the only factors in determining a players potential or value, but the things I have laid out paint a fairly obvious picture. Lacy certainly projects as a productive runner in the NFL and some believe he is worthy of a first round selection, though most seem to feel he is a second round back, while remaining the number one option in a weak class of backs.

So my question is why a guy like Lacy, who compares so strongly to Ivory, is worth a first or second round pick when it is all based on projections, suppositions and hope, while Ivory is only worth a late round pick? We have seen what Ivory can do in the NFL; Lacy is a projection.

I would prefer Ivory to remain on the Saints roster. But if they are going to entertain trade offers for him, IMO the Saints should get value for him and that would not be a late round pick. A third round pick is the lowest pick I would consider fair and personally I'd still rather keep him.

10411198-large.jpg

he's a remarkable back, but made of glass and an average player on the field is worth more than a good player off the field, if we could get a 3rd rounder for him even though id hate to see him leave id have to pull the trigger. Also someone suggests we trade ivory and swap picks with the jets, i wonder if we did this if we could talk minnesota into trading us both their 1st round picks for our 11th overall pick.

Very good post. I have often wondered the same thing. I guess you also have to factor in the salary of the 2 players. Lacy will be cheaper than Ivory.. So a lot of teams aren't going to want to give up a low round draft pick AND also have to pay a lot of money for the player. They would rather take the risk on the unproven player who has potential to be a better bargain.

he's a remarkable back, but made of glass and an average player on the field is worth more than a good player off the field, if we could get a 3rd rounder for him even though id hate to see him leave id have to pull the trigger. Also someone suggests we trade ivory and swap picks with the jets, i wonder if we did this if we could talk minnesota into trading us both their 1st round picks for our 11th overall pick.

I agree he is an above average RB but he just cant continue playing the way he does because he is to fragile

Losing Ivory would open up a huge hole in our backfield and there is no guarantee that we will replace his impressive YPC average in the draft.

If we had better options
I would say that Ivory isn't worth more than a 5th but because of his value to THIS team at the moment, I would have to agree that a 3rd rounder is pretty fair. If we can't fetch that, no deal because we'd mostly be left with Ingram. :covri:

Ronnie Wingo
and Nick Hale are solidly built, big speed backs who will likely go undrafted but there is no way of knowing if they can provide the 500-700 yards that Ivory can.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom