Cab in NOLA ?'s (1 Viewer)

All you need to know is that all they want to do is go to/from the airport and they don't like to make short trips. If you get one at a hotel, they will be annoyed if you are not going to the airport or a really long ride. That and unless you are at a hotel or the airport it's really hard to get a cab to show up.

I once took a taxi because I was too drunk to figure out where my hotel was after a night on Bourbon Street. Total trip distance ended up being two blocks.

I once took a taxi because I was too drunk to figure out where my hotel was after a night on Bourbon Street. Total trip distance ended up being two blocks.

Yeah, they don't really have an option once you're in the cab, it just really annoys them and it's tough to just get one standing on the street. I'm sure he was really happy with that two block fare. Especially if he had waited in line at a cab stand to get it.:hihi:

522-9771, learn it, live it, love it.

I used to live on S. Scott a block off Canal and I could never get United to show up. I'd even go down to Mandina's thinking I would get them to go there and have a drink while I waited, but it was even tough to get them to show up there. I have really bad luck getting cabs in New Orleans.

Rule 1) Make sure the cabbie turns on the meter. On several occasions I had arrived at my destination and the cabbies says "20". One look at the meter and I see it is off. Hey guess what buddy, you get a $5 for trying to rip me off.

Rule 2) Dont tell them your a toursit. Act like a local and they wont try and jip you by taking the long route.

Cabs in general are a disgrace in N.O. One of the biggest reasons the N.O. metro area has so much drunk driving is due to the horrid public transportation and the unreliability of cabs.

Last edited:
Cabs in general are a discrace in N.O. One of the biggest reasons the N.O. metro area has so much drunk driving is due to the horrid public transportation and the unreliability of cabs.

So true, I'm not proud of it, but I have driven several times when I should not have because I couldn't get a cab to show up.

I used to live on S. Scott a block off Canal and I could never get United to show up. I'd even go down to Mandina's thinking I would get them to go there and have a drink while I waited, but it was even tough to get them to show up there. I have really bad luck getting cabs in New Orleans.

I'm in the same area, and I've had really good luck. Don't know.

I'm in the same area, and I've had really good luck. Don't know.

I suspect I just never established that my house was a good address, or it could be that someone who lived there before me had messed them over. My brother lived about two blocks away and he never had any trouble getting a cab.

buzd said:

that # is forever etched in my mind after working as a Bellman at a French Quarter hotel while in college.

In Orleans Parish, we get that number imprinted in our brains at about age 15 or so.

assuming you're referring to calling a cab after a night of drinking-- you are a whole lot smarter than i am... i never used cabs for that purpose until i was much, much older-- and it's only by the grace of Gawd that i lived to tell about it, and with no DUIs or accidents.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom