Cable companies vs. NFL Network (1 Viewer)

I don't like the idea of the games being on the NFL network, but those of us out of the NOLA area are used to having to pay to watch the games since they usually aren't on TV where we live. If the Saints are scheduled for a Thursday night game I'll simply go to the local sports bar as usual and watch the game.

My opinion is that the NFL is getting way to arrogant and making the biggest mistake by trying to have live games on their own network. The biggest part of why the NFL is a big hit now is because of the free air viewers. I know when I was young, my family would not have paid to watch the games. Moving to a PPV type status will stop the league from creating new young fans and thus eventually cause a decling in fans thus a decline in sponsors, thus a decline in money.

If the NFL was smart they would use the NFL network to compliment the current games with unedited field microphones. Now that I would pay to watch!

Greed destroys everything eventually.

The NFL isn't taking anything away from the networks. They have always and will continue to carry games on network tv for free to the local markets. What the NFL has done is to stop all the satelittes from picking up the games for free. Now they are charging for it. I have bought the Sunday Ticket every year since 1996 and worth every penny that I pay for it. To me, the Sunday Ticket is the greatest thing since slice bread.

There is no difference in the game being on NFL network or ESPN. Same exact scenario. It is just another channel.

There is no difference in the game being on NFL network or ESPN. Same exact scenario. It is just another channel.

I have the good fortune of being manager of the Saints Team Shop at the Dome where , during normal business hours (M-F 10-5 and Sat 10-4), I have both stations on at all times. Both channels are great, but for the pure football enthusiast, you can't beat the NFL Network. ESPN compliments it nicely and is unquestionably more diverse. But from August through January, I'll take the NFL station any day. Knowing this, I would gladly subscribe to it at my home, if and when it becomes necessary. Yeah, it's that good! :9: :9: :9:

Except ESPN charges way more..the company I work for owns a couple of rural cable companies and we pay over 4 times that much for ESPN through a national cooperative (that's just for ESPN not the entire network). I think NFL networks .70 is not that much to ask.....the cable companies know that they won't be able to raise their basic rates enough to cover the cost so they won't make as much money as they were.

I've got Dish Network at my house and I'll never have cable again.

I can't believe that Cox in NOLA did something right with NFL HD. We had something ahead of time instead of us complaining until we didn't get it. Now only if we could get the locals in HD it would be perfect.

you can't get internet service through satellite tv, can you? will this ever be in the works? i like bundling all of my services with one company. and while i'm on the subject, does anyone know if you have internet phone service, can you still send/receive faxes, or does this require phone land lines still? by the way, cox new orleans just dropped wdsu-hd and will drop wdsu regular if negotiations continue to break down on pricing.
http://www.wdsu.com/news/9982574/detail.html

With Direct TV and Dish the digital picture is so much better than cable for almost the same price. They do have internet service but it's expensive.

The NFL isn't taking anything away from the networks. They have always and will continue to carry games on network tv for free to the local markets. What the NFL has done is to stop all the satelittes from picking up the games for free. Now they are charging for it. I have bought the Sunday Ticket every year since 1996 and worth every penny that I pay for it. To me, the Sunday Ticket is the greatest thing since slice bread.

The NFL is testing the viability to have all their games on the NFL network after this current broadcast contract expires. Its 5 yrs away but if it happens you will no longer have games on Fox, ABC, CBS, ESPN etc. This is the 2nd stage of moving in that direction. The first step was offering the NFL package on DirectV and it has been a huge success.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom